Follows
    Following

Red Hood and Wolf Crit

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think her eyes are mis-aligned.

Also I'd shoot reference for that hand. It doesn't look inhuman, but it doe look unnatural in the position.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Quigleyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like a pretty good start. You might try introducing some more texture work and hardening up some of the edges on your focal points.

Look at the work of Dan Dos Santos for some good examples to follow. At this stage, it's who your piece reminds me of in terms of subject matter and style.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZombieMariachis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quigleyer View Post
    I think her eyes are mis-aligned.

Also I'd shoot reference for that hand. It doesn't look inhuman, but it doe look unnatural in the position.
    Interesting, I did use a mirror and looked at my own hands. I thought I had it, but now I think I see what you mean. As for her eyes, I didn't notice they were off, thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMariachis View Post
    Looks like a pretty good start. You might try introducing some more texture work and hardening up some of the edges on your focal points.

Look at the work of Dan Dos Santos for some good examples to follow. At this stage, it's who your piece reminds me of in terms of subject matter and style.
    Thanks! I very seldom use textures, but I totally agree. I'll introduce more texture work from now on. Thanks on the artist info, I did not know Dos Santos, but I really love his work! New inspiration is always great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, just so I'm not confusing you. By 'introduce texture work,' I mean actually paint them in. Create texture with thoughtful brush work...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    put some highilghts in there too, and a little bit of color variation will help a lot. It's not red riding hood without at least a bit of red.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a small crit - I think there are parts here that are well-done... but careful with the nose. The hood is supposed to be more red than her nose.
    It's true that the skin on the face has slightly different colors, but latley there's a red-nose syndrome going on. It looks awkward.

Ok, but the big critique is that it's lacking impact. There's not much to look at:
    She's the focal point, there's a small wolf silhouette. And that's about it.

Did you think about what mood/feeling you want to convey? Did you think about composition? Did you do a research on intersting pictures and set-ups you could've used to spice this picture up? That's how you could start your next picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't feel like the colors are doing anything to make her pop out of the image, consider increasing the saturation of red riding hood and bringing some harder edges in there as it feels like everything is in a haze right now
    might wanna ref a few tree textures for the trunks and some forests as the depth just doesn't look that believable right now

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Duplicitious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieMariachis View Post
    Also, just so I'm not confusing you. By 'introduce texture work,' I mean actually paint them in. Create texture with thoughtful brush work...
    Yeah, I knew you meant to actually paint it and not just multiply a picture over everything XD Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Obstfelder View Post
    put some highilghts in there too, and a little bit of color variation will help a lot. It's not red riding hood without at least a bit of red.
    The hood doesn't look red? It's supposed to be a dark red because I wanted her face to shine the brightest and not the red cape/hood.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    Just a small crit - I think there are parts here that are well-done... but careful with the nose. The hood is supposed to be more red than her nose.
    It's true that the skin on the face has slightly different colors, but latley there's a red-nose syndrome going on. It looks awkward.

Ok, but the big critique is that it's lacking impact. There's not much to look at:
    She's the focal point, there's a small wolf silhouette. And that's about it.

Did you think about what mood/feeling you want to convey? Did you think about composition? Did you do a research on intersting pictures and set-ups you could've used to spice this picture up? That's how you could start your next picture.
    Well, the red nose is because this is supposed to be cold, but I get that I did it wrong because her breath has no whisp (which I just noticed) and there's no actual queue like snow or something to give that impression.

As for the impact, I meant to keep it simple so you didn't wander all around the piece, but I see how it can seem kind of dull. For the composition, I was thinking a halo of brightness around her would make her pop. Keeping her clothes dark and brightening her skin for the same effect. I didn't want too much detail on the background so that you wouldn't miss the wolf silhouette. But I understand I might have gone too far with the blur. These are good things to keep in mind for the next one, thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by warmics View Post
    The hood doesn't look red? It's supposed to be a dark red because I wanted her face to shine the brightest and not the red cape/hood.
    Well my monitor isn't the best, but I had to actually copy the image into photoshop and color pick the hood to verify that there is red color there. The hood looks very black is what I'm trying to say

If you want to go this particular way, I would suggest you make her face brighter and more saturated than the light in the background. That would be in line with the style I think. Right now her face and the light in the background are exactly the same saturation, hue and value.

I get that you want to go for a stylization that involves a black silhouette, but if that is the case I think you need to make her profile stronger / more interesting for the image to pop (this is where thumbnailing silhouettes would be a good idea). Maybe she could be carrying the basket with food for grandma or something else if you want to be less traditional.

Consider using the lasso tool and painting in the selection to make some really sharp edges too, because that would improve the graphic effect of the silhouttes.

Attached Images Attached Images  

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.