Sketchbook: TheMumm's Sketchbook of craptastic circles

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TheMumm's Sketchbook of craptastic circles

o/ Everyone! I've been lurking for some time and procrastinating the scanning/uploading of where I'm at. A few days ago, I made a post in the community mentoring subforum (Looking for a drawing mentor/guidance master/guru); now I'm posting where I'm at now.

Before I share my sad attempts, allow me to introduce myself: I'm a twenty-something Graphic Designer at a local health food store. I've gone to school for, though didn't finish, a degree in digital video production, before I realized my interests were behind the monitor and no so much behind the camera. To that end, my endgame would be something in animation. Lately, I'm leaning towards character design, but I'm a ways down the road yet from being able to make an informed decision, so for now, I'm focusing on my layout and drawing skills.

What's going to be posted immediately are some old scans I have that date back to last july, when I first got the itch. I worked through some Betty Edwards and tried for Loomis, but I just got so busy that the whole thing eventually fell by the wayside. Call me cyclical, but it's about that time and I've made accommodations in my life to really focus -- I unsubscribed from EVE, bought a whiteboard to track my progress, and commiserating with some friends of mine who have been in the creative fields for longer than I.

There'll be more pages after this post, I just need to scan them in. So, here goes. Rip these apart. Considering I'm attempting to do this myself rather than through school (which I learned is NOT for me, believe me, I've tried but that's a tale for another time), your critiques, suggestions and criticisms are all I have to go on for improvement (beside that nagging voice in my head when I finish something).

Attached Images Attached Images                
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't been on CA for a long time and haven't drawn a lot since then either, but if you are serious have a look at this thread as i believe everyone should at least once.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81332

Seedling isn't on the forums anymore but this thread really inspired me. Remember draw, draw, draw. That is the only way to learn and improve.

Just call me Ferdi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your drawings of hands; you can see real improvement from the first to the most recent one. Also, it looks like you're really determined, which is a great quality to have! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you tackling the basics. Keep focusing on basic shapes and construction at this point and get familiar with them as much as possible; This will give you much more confidence in regards to drawing and rendering more challenging themes, such as figure drawing. Keep practicing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick Update:

Sorry I haven't had a chance to scan my latest! I think I've FINALLY got the concept of contour ellipses for spheres down! It just took a lot of thinking and reflection. It got to be a sort of head trip when I was considering where the lines go in relation to one another.

I'm still on my first sketchbook but I've gone from 1/4 full to a little over halfway in a matter of a couple weeks (major uptick for me!) Been making a point of drawing every single goddamn day no matter what I'm doing.

Now I find myself looking for vanishing points
    everywhere.

Will poast more soon!

MY SKETCHBOOK OF CRAPTASTIC CIRCLES
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the sketches of the cartoon with big cheeks look good, like it is a very stylized design. keep up the sketchbook work, it helped me alot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o/ And a happy end to the weekend to all of you!

Posting some sketchbook updates. Culminates in my first 'epiphany' regarding sphere and ellipse placement. It was quite exciting!

"Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to bad man. Keep up the sketching and studies. Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Popping in to say that the Tablet is working! Left the nib out overnight while the stylus sat on it's side. Then it was just a matter of fiddling with the settings to get the thing to work right. Now, I need to figure out how to get the eraser end to actually erase, rather than just keep drawing with the brush.

I noticed that with a tablet, it's forcing me to use my entire arm rather than my wrist. Hopefully this will help break my habit of leaving the side of the palm of my hand in a single place and using my wrist to move the pencil around. EXCITIN'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start, keep working on the basics and don't forget to study the rest of the body as well.

BTW, the knight drawing looks really cool

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's been way too long since I've posted. Stuff really picked up at work, but all's well! A raise and a most favorable review later, I'm ready to have at it.

I've only got one to upload now, but I've gone through at least a whole sketchbook (realistically though, not totally full of drawings. I've a habit of using the smaller ones to write lists and other silliness).

I've really come to enjoy Charcoal; my hands take to holding it in such a way so that I'm using my arm and shoulder much more readily than the pencils; though I've been trying to train myself to hold it perpendicular to my palm as opposed to doing so as I would in writing (though it's a habit, and I catch myself drawing like I'm writing all the time).

The past however-long-it's been (I dare not even look) I've spent really hunkered down. I've picked up a few books on grid design and layout; and in conjunction with the Elements of Euclid, I've really started to get a feel for it. Sometimes, I feel that I may be focusing too much on the geometric side of things, but that's the way I am; I like to prove that something really is something.

I'm happy to say that I've picked up a piece of charcoal now every day for a week, and I've also noticed that I can't really play video games as much as I used to because I'm too preoccupied with a problem that I'd been working on (it's a good thing!) The other night, I spent the better part of 6 hours doing some gesture lines, and really trying to get a feel for charcoal's nuances. Really digging the ability to modulate my strokes by rotating the stick along it's central axis while pulling it.

Here's a couple of quick quasi-doodle-sketches from Loomis' Figure Drawing For All It's Worth. As a personal note, this is the page in my primary sketchbook that when I had finished, made me realize that I actually had made progress!
    Name:  sketchbook_1.png
Views: 34
Size:  912.6 KB
    Much of my time of late, however, has been spent attempting to get to grips with the sphere and ellipse in perspective; and I'm thinking I'm getting close. I'll update when I figure it out. For now, I'm taking solace in the fact that my freehand circles aren't craptastic any longer, and my freehand contour lines (interior and exterior) are close [but not provable]!

All in all, I gotta say that I'm pretty damn pleased with my progress since starting; but I know I've a long way yet. I've always had CA in the back of my mind and I'm bummed that I don't have the time (and sometimes the volition) to scan in each and every page of these puppies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much of my time of late, however, has been spent attempting to get to grips with the sphere and ellipse in perspective; and I'm thinking I'm getting close. I'll update when I figure it out. For now, I'm taking solace in the fact that my freehand circles aren't craptastic any longer, and my freehand contour lines (interior and exterior) are close [but not provable]!
    It's nice to see that you are starting off on the right track. I'm a little bit jealous because when I was starting out I didn't have access to good references and it took me a really long time to understand I had to master basics first to really go anywhere...

If I might make a suggestion, find a box-like shape and practice drawing THAT in perspective. You would be surprised at how much it actually teaches you

Members who have read this thread: 1