Looking for insight on canadian art foundation programs.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for insight on canadian art foundation programs.

Hello !

This has probably been discussed before , but i cant seem to find a thread that has the answer for my question.

Recently i dropped out of college and ive been looking for my "inspiration" in life since then. Art seems very appealing and ive had a desire to learn how to draw for a while now. Couple months ago an opportunity to travel to canada for school presented itself to me.Ive been considering applying to the art fundamentals program at seneca but it seems a little intimidating as i have no drawing skills at all and am mainly looking to learn.Even tho there are no portfolio requirements i would feel weird being in the same class as people who are really good at it. Basically what im trying to ask is - Is the art foundamentals program at seneca ( or whatever else school) right for someone who has no skills at all ? id really appreciate some insight on that from someone who took that program at seneca or a similar program at another school.

thanks for reading ! (sorry for any grammar mistakes or any other inconveniences)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People who are 'really good at it' don't do Art Fundamentals, they take Animation, Illustration, whatever. There is a reason why these program have portfolio requirements, and can be hard to get into, while Art Fundamentals have no requirements.

On the other hand, it will not hurt you to start drawing today...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ Depends on your definition of really good. Because of how Seneca's system is for applying to arts for the main intakes, it's more a matter of how early you apply. Sheridan's system is more fair, even if questionable portfolios get accepted. Probably because they're int'l students....

But everyone is there to learn, so don't worry too much about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor66 View Post
    Basically what im trying to ask is - Is the art foundamentals program at seneca ( or whatever else school) right for someone who has no skills at all ? id really appreciate some insight on that from someone who took that program at seneca or a similar program at another school
    I haven't personally taken it, but a lot of my friends have.

Seneca's Art Fundies program is more geared toward taking their other portfolio required art programs ― you'll actually get a lot, if not all, of your portfolio pieces done through here. Sheridan's is more you have no idea what you want to do, so you try a bit of everything.

Aside from you should probably start drawing to see if you actually like it, you should look into the other programs to get an idea of what they do and how much they do. Seneca's Illustration program is a straight two years with no summer breaks for competition reasons, whereas Animation students get summer breaks [minus the 22 winter intake kids] because it's a very tough program.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realize that people who are very good at it wont take the foundamentals program.What i meant was people who have been drawing for a while and are looking for a general idea of which field to get into , like someone whos really good at drawing but isnt sure if they want to get into illustration or anamation etc etc.
    Ive been looking at tutorials for a while now ,but the issue i seem to be having is that i seem keep making mistakes over and over again(as expected)while drawing and i feel like i cant improve just beucase i dont know what im doing wrong.

Thanks for the replies so far , could use all the insight i can get.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.