I want to master the cube( without missing any angle)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I want to master the cube( without missing any angle)

I want to stop procrastinating /angsting about my art and master the basics.!

I already know the "theory" on how angles/vanishing points, and perspective work thanks to my amazing online teacher Mark Chong from ten drawing techniques (I have learned a lot thanks to him)

But I want to apply that knowledge master drawing the cubes in any angle (in 1,2,and 3 point perspective,) in order to master the basics of perspective and get to the next step of construction (I even want to draw buildings to practice) .

The problem is that I don't want to miss any possible cube angle!. What would you advice me?

I have drawn many cube angles, but I feel I may still be missing some (particularly in 3 point perspective), Just when I thought I had all of them... my teacher drew 5 more I wasn't aware of!

Last edited by FallenLegend; June 27th, 2012 at 02:19 AM.
    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

"There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Buy a wooden/plastic/styrofoam cube and twirl it around? That way at least you can see if you put it on an angle you haven't drawn before...

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, assuming you don't want to go any finer than a one degree angle of rotation, you would have 360x360x360=46,656,000 possible views. However, the good news is that cubes are symmetrical, so that we can divide that by the number of corners (8), which means you'll only have to do 5,832,000 drawings. Of course, considering that the foreshortening of the cube depends not only on the angle but the distance from the viewer... lets just say you better start drawing!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Well, assuming you don't want to go any finer than a one degree angle of rotation, you would have 360x360x360=46,656,000 possible views. However, the good news is that cubes are symmetrical, so that we can divide that by the number of corners (8), which means you'll only have to do 5,832,000 drawings. Of course, considering that the foreshortening of the cube depends not only on the angle but the distance from the viewer... lets just say you better start drawing!
    wow it will take me a while ...ç
    But more than drawing every possible cube I want to understand the cube . But thanks for your advice indeed!

Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by legendarysonofgod View Post
    wow it will take me a while ...ç
    But more than drawing every possible cube I want to understand the cube . But thanks for your advice indeed!
    You can learn to walk without walking each and every path.

Learn the basics of perspective, with horizon lines, vanishing points, and learn some notion of measuring in perspective, and you can construct your grandmother's boobs, a cube or anything you want...

(yeps, a bube is a cubish boob)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "The problem is that I don't want to miss any possible cube angle!. What would you advice me?"

This "problem" sounds like procrastination to me. It's like saying "I want to learn addition but I must practice adding ALL numbers together. How do I not miss any single number to add?" Of course you don't learn addition by trying to add an infinite list of numbers together. You only have to learn to add the first 10 and then learn the method for adding larger numbers. The problem of infinite numbers is not a real problem.

So you don't have to learn to draw all the angles of a cube, you just have to practice some general categories in 1-, 2-, and 3-point perspective, like "cube above the horizon in 3-point perspective" and "cube below the horizon in 1-point perspective" and "cube right at the horizon in 2-point perspective". When you understand how the process works for these general categories you can draw a cube from any angle when you need to. So the problem of drawing a cube from all possible angles is also not a real problem. If you are waiting to solve this problem before you draw any cubes, you are procrastinating.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very true! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    "The problem is that I don't want to miss any possible cube angle!. What would you advice me?"

This "problem" sounds like procrastination to me. It's like saying "I want to learn addition but I must practice adding ALL numbers together. How do I not miss any single number to add?" Of course you don't learn addition by trying to add an infinite list of numbers together. You only have to learn to add the first 10 and then learn the method for adding larger numbers. The problem of infinite numbers is not a real problem.

So you don't have to learn to draw all the angles of a cube, you just have to practice some general categories in 1-, 2-, and 3-point perspective, like "cube above the horizon in 3-point perspective" and "cube below the horizon in 1-point perspective" and "cube right at the horizon in 2-point perspective". When you understand how the process works for these general categories you can draw a cube from any angle when you need to. So the problem of drawing a cube from all possible angles is also not a real problem. If you are waiting to solve this problem before you draw any cubes, you are procrastinating.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.