Sketchbook: Mortiroth's Sketchpad of Brutality and Doom :D

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mortiroth's Sketchpad of Brutality and Doom :D

Hello everyone!!

I started an account here last year, but just skulked about and was too shy to post…but I'm going to brutal it up and go for it!! XD I'm looking to improve; so constructive criticism and ANY advice is greatly appreciated!! There's a LOT I need to learn ^_^

I've always loved to draw; I aim to everyday, but I do miss a few days now and then…oops hahaha!! Hopefully if I'm showing others my progress, it'll push me a bit more!!

I've just finished my second year doing BA Fine Art at Kingston University, and currently play guitar in two bands; The Furious Horde (symphonic black metal) and Corpse Fauna (death/grind metal). Here's some links in case anyone would like to hear!!

The Furious Horde: http://www.facebook.com/TheFuriousHorde
    Corpse Fauna: http://www.facebook.com/CorpseFauna

Deviantart (don't use it as much anymore...): http://overlordmortiroth.deviantart.com

Also, apologies in advance...I've never been on forums very much, so if my etiquette is a bit skewed please tell me! And thank you for taking the time to have a look

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mortiroth; June 26th, 2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Thumbnail image
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a couple of what I've been working on this week, just to get an idea...it's our vocalist Ruptured_Souls (otherwise known as Matty boy haha!)

1st image: some observational sketches from photographs.
    2nd image: Inking practice; I copied out of an old Judge Dredd comic
    3rd image: A drawing of Ruptured_Souls and then inked...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started a portrait version today...I need to get better at inking!

I do a lot of stippling usually, but it's not always ideal...especially if I want to get into things like comics! XD I'd be there forever!

I'd love to take life drawing classes ideally...but even at my uni, they charge an expensive amount! (I assumed it was part of our course and went along last year...to be turned away embarrassingly, as I hadn't paid the hundreds of pounds!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A friend has commissioned me to draw up an illustration/logo for their death/grindcore project...they specified a guy being opened up for autopsy with his innards seeping out, but...I fear I may have to start over!!!

The arms are a little bit long...and I've run out of page to make the legs longer :/ Damn it! I suppose I could tactically cut off his feet/legs...do things look roughly in proportion...?

(I will finish the portrait of Ruptured_Souls hopefully today too...I couldn't find any other gel pens, but there was one lurking in my bag!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been away as I went to Obscene Extreme Festival last week!! LOTS OF FUN!!!

The first couple of images are in my A5 sketchpad; while we were in the Czech before the festival, we went to the Mendel Museum (sciencey stuff) and the crypts I only sketched a couple of things, because I was too busy being amazed by everything! But I wish I had drawn more stuff!!

The next two are from the other day; I drew a calculator, then tried to make it into a monster...I'd like to develop this further (try more poses, colour, things like that...)

The last one are a couple of sketches of my friend Louise; I opened my Facebook and chose the first friend on the top of my list XD

Last edited by Mortiroth; July 20th, 2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: MASSIVE images!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've still been drawing; but my band has been playing some festivals this summer, so my time online is limited!!

The first image is of a pencilled sample script I was asked to do; I have received some feedback already that has been extremely helpful; I need to be mindful of leaving space for text (rookie error; whoops!!) and things such as hands and perspective.

The second page is some sketches of my friend Pat; he pulls some crazy expressions!

The third page is of my band mates Kane and Rob.

The fourth is some more sketches/caricatures of Kane; I'm thinking of drawing some short comics about my band's antics. It would be a good excuse to work, get feedback and try out some techniques!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is my etiquette off?? I honestly have no social tact online or otherwise XD

ANY criticism at all is appreciated; honest!!

I'm guessing I should try full body/different expressions/angles once I have established a 'character'...and HANDS. And I want to try colouring at some point too...I'd like to make the jump to digital when I've gotten a little more confidence!

A refined 'Kane', as the previous one didn't quite capture his essence...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yaaaaaay!! ConceptArt is finally back up; here's some stuff I did (a while ago now...) that I couldn't upload previously. I've done a lot more since, but will upload in chunks!

I've also taken on a project at uni with some programmers to provide the art for their game; so I would LOVE any criticism/feedback at all!!

The 3rd image was coloured in Photoshop; my first taste of working digitally!! It's very rough around the edges though...I need to read up on it, I think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've recently joined a workshop at my university called 'inKUbator'! Some of the games students were looking for artists from our campus, and I've been assigned a team; any criticism or feedback would be GREATLY appreciated, as I don't want to let them down!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay mate, thats a nice start. But one thing you wont get around is doing some studies. Start with Loomis. His stuff is public domain now and you can learn a ton from the old guy. It should be a fun thing for you as he keeps mostly to working with lines which is something you seem to be used to. That will make it easier for you wrap yur head around his teaching while not getting too dfrustrated. It will help your art a great big deal. And therefore your group too. Hope that helps. Cheers and Tally Ho!

Wolf

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bbwolf View Post
    okay mate, thats a nice start. But one thing you wont get around is doing some studies. Start with Loomis. His stuff is public domain now and you can learn a ton from the old guy. It should be a fun thing for you as he keeps mostly to working with lines which is something you seem to be used to. That will make it easier for you wrap yur head around his teaching while not getting too dfrustrated. It will help your art a great big deal. And therefore your group too. Hope that helps. Cheers and Tally Ho!

Wolf
    Fantastic!! I'll see if I can find any of his books at my uni in the library; or failing that order online!

Thank you for giving me a place to start!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this should help - its, as i said, public domain. Means they are free to download and use without guilt. Have fun

http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbwolf For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.