ChOW#294 :: Spaceship Pinup - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread_Reaper View Post
    A) I wasn't attempting to be hostile or discouraging to you.
    Its all good man. People like you tend to be transparent in thier attempts to shut others down. When someone tells me dont do something for their own weird reasons I do it twice as hard as i did before and i feed off of it. As far as you not claiming to be a pro, you blab about being pro and refer to yourself as "us" like you are in the same league as some of the other entries,,so spare me the full page of text. I will enter next weeks contest now thanks for the motivation
    kind friend

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PITCHBLACK View Post
    Its all good man. People like you tend to be transparent in thier attempts to shut others down. When someone tells me dont do something for their own weird reasons I do it twice as hard as i did before and i feed off of it. As far as you not claiming to be a pro, you blab about being pro and refer to yourself as "us" like you are in the same league as some of the other entries,,so spare me the full page of text. I will enter next weeks contest now thanks for the motivation
    kind friend
    Yeah, look, I'm with him in saying you need anatomy practice. Need it. That's not to say 'no, you can't enter' because of course you can, and you should. But if you want to improve your art you should learn to take advice, and if you don't want to improve you should get off this forum.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FoxinShocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxinShocks View Post
    Yeah, look, I'm with him in saying you need anatomy practice. Need it. That's not to say 'no, you can't enter' because of course you can, and you should. But if you want to improve your art you should learn to take advice, and if you don't want to improve you should get off this forum.

When did I say I didnt practice anatomy? I have repeated this many times in my sketchbook. I take advice. But since i been on here I havent had any advice except for mid-par artists. Everyone needs to practice anatomy. Its the most redundant comment used on this forum usually coming from someone who needs to practice it badly like your little friend there. Is your anatomy perfect? i fear not. So practice anatomy.
    See how dumb that is? Anyway
    w/e

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obstfelder Half gloves seemed a bit more scif than standard gloves. Thanks, Yeah the whole jaw was a bit off I had to redoe most of it.

Tomercs Very nice ship design, but yes like others have said it does demand too much attention.

Buttermonster Love it!

Dread_Reaper I like the tough girl approach you've taken with this.

Callergi Looking good so far, thought about background?

Calling it done but letting it sit until tomorrow, hopefully I will be able to notice any errors after some sleep. Not sure about the type, trying to think of something better.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    website: www.agentmelon.co.uk [Sketchbook] Available for freelance work : [link]

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agent Melon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxinShocks View Post
    A well-intentioned response FoxinShocks but it seems the point isn't going to be made. At least no one can say we didn't try to be helpful. By the way, are you going to have your entry for tomorrow? I was quite liking your rocket-girl, and I recall you were quite adamant that this would be your CHOW to finish!

I take advice. But since i been on here I havent had any advice except for mid-par artists.
    I'm sorry we haven't been up to your standard.

@Agent_Melon
    YES! I love it! Nothing really jumping out at me that wouldn't sound like a nitpick at this point. Maybe her torso seems a little too petite? Meh. I do agree the text is a little incongruous though. I like the idea of emphasizing the E.D.U. part of the wording but maybe you could pick two texts that are a little more similar? Or you would use the same text and just capitalize or italicize "E.D.U."? Altogether loving it though, excellent work!

Keep pushing to the end everyone! I might have a last update tonight since I want to save tomorrow for the character sheet but we'll see. Still playing with the wretched background... *grumble grumble grumble*.

EDIT: Update! Think I'm done (pending any crits).

-Dread_Reaper

Last edited by Dread_Reaper; July 8th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go figure high heels is still worn by girls in the future... hope I get to finish this.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 649 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    PITCHBLACK: When you are given a crit from somebody, do not judge the other artist by their work and say 'well, they need to practise that to. So I'm going to ignore what they said and that's that.' On these forums everyone is here to help everyone, when pros take advice from amateurs, does that mean the pro will snuff the helpful advice given from the lesser skilled artist? No matter how 'redundant' they may think it is, they will take the advice gracefully and thankfully. More often than not they will return the favour, especially when the help is needed.

Right now you are showing hostilites towards fellow artists when they are 'trying to help you', this often discourages people from leaving feedback in the first place. Then no one learns anything, and all we got is a gallery full of wips and roughs with some praise for what looks good and no constructive criticism. Don't run down another artist because they struggle in the same area.

The best advice from me to give in this situation is not 'practice more anatomy' or 'perspective' or 'rendering', but be open to criticism from where ever it may come from, no matter how skilled or knowledgeable the other artist is.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agent Melon: Lookin' good man!

PitchBlack: Calm down. Listen to what everyone is telling you, because they are right. I understand that you might be frustrated with always getting the same advice, but you will not become a good artist by being hostile to others.

Rob is right about taking advice from everyone. In fact the "I'm not here to make friends" attitude will very likely hinder you from having a career as an artist at all.

Dread_Reaper: Crazy design. I feel you might have too many design elements, but that's my preference. I think you should do something about the 100% white background though. Just to improve presentation a bit. Good stuff!

Last edited by Obstfelder; July 8th, 2012 at 05:45 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Danny K: I really like this, but the positioning of the head and shoulders, or rather the trapezius, in relation to the spine is off. Though, I see what your are trying to do, just that part is throwing the rest off. Either that, or that is one massive shoulder plate.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Powell View Post
    PITCHBLACK:

Right now you are showing hostilites towards fellow artists when they are 'trying to help you',
    Help me? Please man. It was an obvious block to keep me from entering. And that is the true reason only 5-6 people on the entire site turn in a final. Because of the pompous arrogant attitudes that some people have. I dont roll like that, industry pro or not I call em like I see em. I notice he didnt try to stop anyone else from entering when they turned in a WIP, You must take me for a fool
    However I am not, and listen to advice, its the generic overused comments from struggling artists that hit me the wrong way.
    peace

Quote Originally Posted by Obstfelder View Post

"I'm not here to make friends" attitude
    On the contrary I have made friends on here and I respect them, they have a good attitutde and dont judge others work. They would never try to be arrogant or act like they are superior because they are cool. Thats the kind of people I vibe with dude. There are more than one persons reading this that has thought about entering or finishing their entries but didnt because of the fear factor but I wasnt ever scared.
    I repect your work, however read the intial comment and you can feel the vibe hes kicking off. If you are like that then Im not down with you..
    Sorry for keepin it real/ and there is evidence of my art influence in this very thread btw.

Last edited by FROZ3N; July 8th, 2012 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for a while, looking at all the amazing art and finally decided to step out of the shadows. Here's a sketch for this CHOW

Hope to see more awesome stuff for this contest!

ChOW#294 :: Spaceship Pinup

18. The Following User Says Thank You to planetbob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell yeah
    everone enter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried a strange approach to this. Don't think it'll be done by the deadline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Help me? Please man. It was an obvious block to keep me from entering. And that is the true reason only 5-6 people on the entire site turn in a final. Because of the pompous arrogant attitudes that some people have.
    First of all did you even bother to look at the previous CHoW threads? Chow#293 had 30 final entries, up for vote in the final thread, #292 had 15, and #291 had 12.

It's a true that some people may participate and not turn in a final but this can be a for a lot of reasons. The 'arrogant attitude" of others is just a figment of your imagination, CHoW has always attracted people from many skill levels, you only need to take a look at previous threads to see that and no one has been discouraged or blocked from entering, part of the reason people take part in CHoW is to improve in the first place.

CountBlackula - I like the hologram idea, hopefully it will get done in time. Good luck!

website: www.agentmelon.co.uk [Sketchbook] Available for freelance work : [link]

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent Melon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the contrary I have made friends on here and I respect them, they have a good attitutde and dont judge others work. They would never try to be arrogant or act like they are superior because they are cool. Thats the kind of people I vibe with dude. There are more than one persons reading this that has thought about entering or finishing their entries but didnt because of the fear factor but I wasnt ever scared.
    I repect your work, however read the intial comment and you can feel the vibe hes kicking off. If you are like that then Im not down with you..
    It's good to have friends so I'm glad I was wrong.

I did read his post though, and I did not interpret it the way you did at all. In your first post you said that you did not feel ready, and he basically answered that you should enter when you do. I guess he might have been coming across as a bit brash, but I would have given him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to shut you down, and I don't want to do that either, it just seemed that you had little reason for telling him off like you did.

As for there being an arrogant attitude on the CHOW forum, I can't say that I've noticed that, but I think it's easy to feel ignored because there are so many entries.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to keep this up people, would you please do it by using our excellent PM system? This thread is for posting WIP images of your entries and discussing about each other's, not for arguing about them.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An idea... I don't think I'll finish this, but I wanted to give it a go at least. Not happy with the face, but given that it's in such early stages, I've time to fix it. The hand is also--bizarre. I'll grab a reference and see if I can't get it to look--normal.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 649 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    PITCHBLACK: An 'obvious block to keep you from entering' is, 'Your not good enough yet, you shouldn't participate until you get better,' not 'If you think your not good learn anatomy. You learn more from studies then you do from these contests, participate when you think your ready to participate, not if your better in a months time.' I don't see any sort of discouragment in those remarks. I obviously reworded it, but those were the points he was trying to get across.

I don't take people as 'fools', I'm only trying to straighten up a misunderstanding, because you obviously took what Dread Reaper said the wrong way. I've seen him around on the website for quite a while now, never have I seen any sort of arrogance on his part, nor any sort of discouragment towards others for his benefit. I know what his intentions were, and they were not to deter you from entering. Do not feel like he is talking down on you in any way, we are all equals, whether one artist is an experienced professional or another is just a begginner. We are all brothers and sisters in the same community!

on a side note, Chow very rarely has so little participants. When it does it is usually because a lot the artists just don't have the time, or there is not enough interest in the given topic. It has nothing to do with people's attitudes towards one another.

edit: sorry parsa, I can ensure that I'm done

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    " An 'obvious block to keep you from entering' is, 'Your not good enough yet, you shouldn't participate until you get better....
    Wut. His original quote was...."take it from us, you need to spend some time getting the basics of physiology down before attempting something of this magnitude. Not "next month", when you're ready.

So i am being told not to attempt to enter...not even next month.
    and the "take it from us" that is classic. read it again anyone would take like i did

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update. Happier with this version, still doubt I'll get close to a finish in time, but I think I'll finish it off on my own, I'm liking where it's going.

CountBlackula - I like that concept. Are you just going to have a head?

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsakoira View Post
    If you want to keep this up people, would you please do it by using our excellent PM system? This thread is for posting WIP images of your entries and discussing about each other's, not for arguing about them.
    Truly sorry Parsa, this definitely got way out of hand... *insert shameful face*

@Obstfelder
    Honestly I have been fighting with that problem this whole entry. I didn't post any of my in between ones where I made a whole scene because I felt I needed to do something with the white, then got rid of all of it... but still had too many design elements. BAH! Not much to do now I suppose but definitely a good learning experience... but I think you're right. X_X

@CountBlackula
    I'm not sure if its a "pin-up" per say, but damn is that cool! Reminds me of Helena Bonham Carter in Terminator Salvation, except its not ruining a movie. You've got three minutes left, so try to finish!

@Hemlock-Key
    I like the idea, good call on the hand. Next week we'll start earlier and it will be awesome!

Great work everyone! This will be one for the record books, methinks.

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... kind of lame on my behalf. I got caught up in a lot of different things this week, today I forgot to submit my final in time. Eh, live and learn Lol! I do how ever wish I was able to post more updates during the week so I can hear some more advice.

Here's what I finished with

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.