Cottage

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cottage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cottage

Cottage

Crits, comments and suggestions would be cool

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

Firstly I would say "nice colours!" but also that the house is a bit small and its making those trees look enormous and secondly I am a little confused as to where the light comes from.
    What I mean is we can see the light from the window on the grass outside the house on the right which implies that its in shadow. But behind the house we lose all the detail of the trees and the smoke from the chimney due to the glare of the light? Also if the sun is that high in the sky why are there lights on at all, you are spoiling the logic of the image.

I think from looking at it that you missed a stage when you started this and that was the compositional thumbnail sketches where you put the idea down on paper and then mess with it until you get something that works for you. This ideally shows where the lights and shadows are and indicates what the narrative is behind the image.

So to start fixing it you need to nail down the light source and shade it up accordingly on the house and the trees. Bring back a little more of the detail on the trees behind the house as they are getting lost in the glare. Then stop and have a long hard look at it and see what else you think needs fixing.

I would point out also at this point that this is just my opinion and I, like everyone else have the right to talk crap from time to time. Its your image at the end of the day and you can do what you like with it but I would do as I said and make it more logical.

all the best with it whatever you decide to do.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I agree with lightship about the lighting. The only other thing is, It feels like there is a lot of open space in the middle of the top of the painting, like that there's meant to be something there, but there isn't. I duno if this is just personal, but If it were me I'd have much more going on there, like make some branches come across which you could also use to frame the picture and draw attention to the cottage. Also, this is also probably really personal, but I think the cottage is a little plain. There could be much more like cute little windows and things and usually people have random things infront of the house like their boots, and little flower pots etc, would maybe make the cottage look a little more like its being lived in. But again, this might just be personal.

Other than that, its really nice, I'm liking the nice warm colouring

x

"Draw me like one of your French girls."

My Blog > http://louisasepiphanies.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Update.
    Cottage

Better now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The trees behind the house are better yes and they are starting to fill it in a little, but we still have three possible light sources on the upper right of the picture and none of the shadow falls seem to be in the right place for any of them.
    Do several quick pencil sketches of the whole thing and draw a circle on it to decide where the light source is and shade it out from several locations until you get one that works for you.
    I would say, reading between the lines that this early stage of thumbnail composition was missed in your production process which is why we are having such a hard time getting to grips with the lighting now. In future compositions you might want to do several quick sketches to help you work out how it all sticks together, it helps mate it really does.

all the best with it

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.