P.O.W.! Challenge 62 (A-B-C) Celts and Gates

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 62A: Shattered Gates (Event)

The Gates are down, wanton destruction follows. Are you going to depict the lead-up to the shattering, or the aftermath? Who has done this, to who and why? Answer these questions and more! Make it big, brash and exciting!

Topic 62B: Native People's Legend: Celts

Take a Celtic legend and put your creative mind to work on depicting it! It's best to stick to the legends on this one, but as always in P.O.W.!, creative approaches are welcomed! The Celts covered a broad swathe of Europe in the Iron Age, and there's a lot of material for this one.

You can start on the wiki page for the Celts, here.

Topic 61C: Environment Design

If you don't have time for the pages, crank out an enviro where your story would have taken place. Either the Gates, hanging destroyed (or in their pre-shattered condition) with the surrounding terrain, or a Celtic village/fortress/monument your story would have circled around. Do as many views as you have time for!

One or All-Deadline: Sunday, July 29th, 2012, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO pages to any practical maximum you wish. Previously, we encouraged standard comic book pages, but it's beyond time to broaden the challenge in P.O.W.! Your pages can be any format, but make sure they line up to the same specs for each page.

Standard comic specs are below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts.

REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you.

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by donalfall; July 29th, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topics!!! I'm waiting for a set of non-photo blue pens to be delivered, I can't wait to test them out on this topic!
    I would like to make sure that the deadline is on JULY 27th, not June 27th (two days), Right?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Lister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha! Thanks B-Lister. I was down at the Galway Pub Scrawl and telling the guys there about the new challenge when a little lightbulb went off in my head "wait - did I change the date when I cut & pasted the topic details?". You beat me to it though. July 27th - the last Sunday in the month.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

7. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I just thought I'd double check. Also,That pub scrawl thing sounds awesome, it's too bad it's in another country!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Lister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can always start one of your own - if you book it, they will come.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can start your exploration of the Celtic Legends on Amazon with a free ebook as always. And Paddy Brown has been serialising the Cattle Raid of Cooley for ages in comic form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I am new to this forum and would love to participate in this POW challenge..but I am little confused...The deadline for the challenge states June 29th, but that's today and its not Sunday...and below that there is a discussion about July 27th, which is also not a Sunday..also I cant tell if you are being ur being sarcastic or something about July..coz its a month away ...So do we have a month to complete this?? Or am I too late?? Plz excuse my ignorance, but I just want to be sure...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I believe the deadline is actually July 29th...

It originally said June 27th, now it's June 29th, but the challenges usually last a whole month so my guess is that "June 29th" translates to "July 29th" (which is a Sunday).

Sorry for my part in the confusion. Chin chin.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B-Lister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, July, not June. Sorry you guys, my head is not in the game this week.

monologish, we would be delighted to see you jump in on POW! The more the merrier.

Last edited by donalfall; July 30th, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to post this awesome resource I found for Celtic myths..they have a listing of Gods, battle stories and a lot of other myths..in case it helps someone

http://www.timelessmyths.com/celtic/index.html

19. The Following User Says Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Comic Centre of Macedonia is looking for artists all around the world to enter their competition. Details are here - http://www.comicscenter.mk/ for those that might be interested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's so sad that nobody does any art...Luckily we have you, j.s.sabastian, you always provide us with some actionpacked panels...
    Let's hope all of you have some great comics at home and weren't able to upload it...
    So here's my wip...Is this enough if there is a double-full-page-splash-panel plus one normal?
    I have some sort of stroy in mind for continuing these three page but that would be way too big to do it in time...
    I had a totally different story in mind (it was about apple-fans who would tear down an appleshop because of a new gadget....), but after some sketching and trying i got frustrated because i couldn't do it like i had thought of, so i've let go the control and set up a lame story about a flood-gate and just didnt imagined anything, so here's the result!
    The second is only one half of the final doublepage splashy thing, it's gonna take another day to finish that...

Cheers!!
    I really hope next POW will be more participation! Donalfall, I tought, maybe if you give more open topics, i don't know, but to me the native people's legend series is too much of research for me, but it's just my thoughts....BTW team pow would be great, if there is enough people who join!
    Cheers!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ex-machina nice pages. 2 or more count and one can be a splash page so these are fine. I have mine finished as well, but I've been a bit busy outside CA this month, will post them shortly. Usually over the summer there is very little posting on POW!. I don't know why that is, necessarily.

Yeah, the "Native People's Legends" are something Ilaekae was keen on. They may need more research than the open topic, but is that a bad thing? You always have the general topic as an alternative. I can do two general topics instead, I don't mind.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, of course it isn't bad...
    I can't really explain it, but I don't have much time (and i think others too...), so i can't make research, construct a story and then draw it, because, i often get short in time with drawing a story that's only a sentence long ("It storms so bad, that the flooding gates break."). Maybe if you narrow it down to a specific legend, or historic person, or just keep it that way...
    What i want to say is that if one doesn't have time to do the legend topic, there is 'only' one topic left to 'choose'. So if one doesn't have time and can't make anything of the other topic...he won't joining the fun!
    I hope you get what i want to say, its hard to explain, since english isn't my first language...
    but you can also completly forget about what i say and do it your way, i trust in you that you'll do it good!
    cheers!

-Novalis-
    My Blog

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not at all, don't dismiss your concern, it's a valid point. The Native People's Legend idea got some good feedback for the first few, but no-one really seems to be taking them up. They can go on the back burner for a while perhaps.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was faster than i thought...

-Novalis-
    My Blog

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice textures! It feels like water, which is pretty impressive.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some trusty cellphone shots of these pages. I have like, 10 minutes more of inking to do on these three pages. This is actually page 1, 2 & 4, but I don't like page 3 very much.... I might put it up anyway when I go scan all these.

Way easier on myself this POW! cos I didn't do the pages on a3, just a4, so I can scan them at home. A finer line looks awfully thick on them though.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  292.9 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  290.7 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  270.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll post the scans of those pages later. Gah, I don't like page 3, which is all about how the world in the comic is flooding, but without it the dialogue I've written for pages 2 and 4 seem a bit weird.

I just wanted to post this for posterity - I had every intention of doing both challenges this month (cos I'm a masochist) so I started on the Celtic Myth thing but I never finished.

Here's a taster page from it I had half-finished. It's from the story of Oisin, who went to live in the Land of Eternal Youth (Tir na nOg) & came back for a visit but waaay more time had passed than he thought, so when he fell off his magical horse he aged 300 years. Irish Myths are like that.

Name:  008 Donal.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  892.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New POW! is posted, I'll call a halt to this one in about 24-36 hours from now. Post pages if you got them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! great pages donalfall!! I especially like the celtic ones, too bad you didn't finished them!!
    Here's my final shattered Gate! I added two pages and the text!
    Hope to see other entries!
    Cheers!

-Novalis-
    My Blog

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ex-machina awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first draft

Hello all,

I know I am really cutting it close, but here is my first draft for the panels challenge. It is a Celt myth about the Selkie, who were seals that took the form of women sometimes - to dance naked on the beach being one of those times.

So I only got 3 pages done so far..will work on the rest of tale in leisure, but these will hopefully be done in time for the challenge.

This is my first attempt at comics and this thread, so please bear with the horror I am about to inflict on you..

But before that some comments:

ex-machina - It is awesome how you have actually managed to say all that in just so many pages..also you are really fast..that seems like a lot of work..

donalfall - I love how your lines are so controlled and your penmanship is amazing, looks really good..I also loved the celtic ones more, you really should finish those..

I am now attaching my work..sorry about the bad scan..will ink them and add text soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    monologish - technically, the challenge ends today... but I really, really like your pages. If I give 1 or 2 days more would you have them done? I love the splash page at the end... nice sense of movement overall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    donalfall - Oh my god..I am so sorry for missing out on the deadline, but I would REALLY love to have just 1 more day, I am in fact inking my pages in right now, and I promise to put them up the moment they are done...thank you so much for giving me the chance...seriously appreciate it

43. The Following User Says Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But of course. We're very easy going in POW!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finito.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  775.7 KB

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  815.0 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  921.9 KB

Last edited by donalfall; July 30th, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know why the attachment manager won't load my pics. I'll come back in a bit and see if I can kick start it again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face My Final Submission

Ok here is my rushed final submission, unbelievable 24 hours I have been having. My PC died, then apparently India is facing a national grid failure in the northern region, so all of us are sitting here stranded, till our backup dies and laptop batteries go with it..

So here is my submission, it is rushed and not very well edited coz my laptop doesn't run Photoshop very well...but excited about it nevertheless..

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1