Getting my first tablet, need some help!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Question Getting my first tablet, need some help!

Hey! I'm both new to this forum and conceptart overall, so go easy on me!

Anyway, I decided to get a drawing tablet since I want to start drawing concept art. I've been drawing for a short amount of time before this, but I've only focused on mangastyled characters/learning anatomy. (I'm a beginner as far as that goes as well, and I've probably only spent around 100-150 hours)

So, for a complete beginner what would you suggest? I was thinking of buying the "Bamboo Create" which seems to be a fairly good tablet for beginners, at least from what I've read online.

(I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but I'm fairly into this and I'm going to spend a lot of time doing it. So I want a tablet which fits a hardworking beginner that may grow a lot skillwise while using it, not a tablet which is fine when I start out but needs replacement as soon as I've worked enough to grow as an artist.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would pick up an intuos 3 on ebay if I were you. they dont wear nibs down and many people are still using them due to the durability of them. if you shop around you can get a good deal on one.

Thanks
    macmall has some intuos 4 mediums on clearance right now. 221 bucks.
    I gotta say tho, I am loving my 5 a lot more than I ever did my intuos 2. the gestures make all the difference for me.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    macmall has some intuos 4 mediums on clearance right now. 221 bucks.
    I gotta say tho, I am loving my 5 a lot more than I ever did my intuos 2. the gestures make all the difference for me.
    does the rubberized stuff cause a grip or anything while using your arm. I have a laptop case that has that same kind of grip stuff on it and after 2 years it starts to wear off. Intuos 5 looks great when you buy it but im thinking if the rubberized stuff is at all alike my case the intuos 5 will look like hell in 2-3 years once the rubber wears off.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    does the rubberized stuff cause a grip or anything while using your arm. I have a laptop case that has that same kind of grip stuff on it and after 2 years it starts to wear off. Intuos 5 looks great when you buy it but im thinking if the rubberized stuff is at all alike my case the intuos 5 will look like hell in 2-3 years once the rubber wears off.
    I would assume it's similar if not the same material. Could also be the same type of rubber surface used for softshell phone/tablet/etc cases. Probably absorbs hand grease over time, like they all do. But there are a few things that just look worn after about 5 days of use with all wacoms...

a. drawing surface has nib marks (barely visible but there)
    b. case/inactive area picks up grease and dust particles.

I've got a cleaned up Intuos 4 Medium if you're interested. It doesn't have the mouse/install disc with it, but it works great, I've kept it relatively clean with very little use. If you're in the US I don't charge for the shipping. I'll meet/beat macmall's price (is really close to my ebay auction listed in my thread) if you'd like to make an offer on the ebay auction I'd be happy to work with you. :-) I'll wheel and deal.

Whatever your choice, I think you'll like Wacom's products.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I'd advise getting a bamboo. Because even if you plan to spend time, with it - you really need to draw from life a lot and your tablet will not be available for all those times.

I know people hate the "draw from life" but if you plan to get better you have to learn how to see in many parts of your environment about you.

You could do some of this with a laptop but being practical you need to be able to sketch around you and starting up a PC or electronic device to to it, tends to hurt more than help a beginner.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
    a. drawing surface has nib marks (barely visible but there)
    b. case/inactive area picks up grease and dust particles.
    slightly damp kleenex helps

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    slightly damp kleenex helps
    Yeah, the one I'm selling a good wipe down with electronic/lcd cleaning wipes has all but buffed out the nib/pen marks. You do see them ever so slightly, but you have to pick up your tablet and read the reflection/glare from a light source.

not sure who does that, ever, but, yeah. :-P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    I'm slightly worried about that too, especially on the buttons, but I would guess that's the point. Wacom has seen people like me using the tablets for a decade, so they need to "wear them out".
    It's not a gummy rubber. I mean I can't drag my finger on it and pull it. I don't even see that I can push in on it notice-ably with my nails. The closest thing I can liken it to is the feel of a spatula for a teflon skillet. That kind of hard rubber/soft plastic feel. It's not what a lot of people think it is when you hear rubbery coating.

http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys! And I'm glad to report that after a lot of consideration I've come to the conclusion I'm getting a "Wacom Intuos5 MediumTouch", along with Photoshop elements 10, so wish me luck guys! (Not quite sure I need that touch function though, somewhat confused about that part).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krillz View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! And I'm glad to report that after a lot of consideration I've come to the conclusion I'm getting a "Wacom Intuos5 MediumTouch", along with Photoshop elements 10, so wish me luck guys! (Not quite sure I need that touch function though, somewhat confused about that part).
    elements comes as a download with the tablet, but I don't know if it's crippled in any way...I didn't download it as I have the real photoshop.
    it also comes with a sketch program and an animations program and some filters for photoshop.

I didn't think I'd use the "touch" either. But, turns out, I love it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.