Character Design... What do you think?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is a Mummy Queen that I've been designing for two days. I finished it and I am pretty happy about it. However I haven't done any characters in a while so hearing opinions/suggestions/"anatomy is broken" from you guys will help me get back on track. Thanks! :p

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You need to constantly ask yourself why why why when actually designing things. Why does she look the way she does? Why is she acting the way she is? Why is she wearing what she's wearing?

The anatomy isn't awful but it lacks some understanding, the shapes of the arms around the elbows, the feet, the super-thin torso could all be helped by a bit of reference.

Where is the light coming from?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm slightly concerned about her groin area and how those legs attach to it or is the front one meant to be detached?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "mummy-queen" would rather be dry rotten skin and a way of presenting your character in a much more majestic and intimidating pose. Unfortunately your attempt goes into a completely different direction. You drew a jouvenile very healthy looking lady in tp tights Would I not have read your description afterwards there would have been no way to figure out your actual intention. Other than that watch out for covered up bodyparts ... if your are not a 100% sure about the human anatomy maybe try to set up a rig first and then add the volumes. Clothes should be the final layer after you have achieved a decently proportioned body.

No skill still isn't a new side.
    ~ Arnold Böcklin

Visit my sketchbook-gallery kinda thing ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lord_regenschirm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Also continuing on Jason's point, consider where she lives and what her culture is like when you think what she looks like. Like "mummy" usually makes on think of Egypt, which is something you seem to be going for, but then she has boomerangs and pretty crudely stylized painting that make me think of Australian aboriginals which seems completely unrelated to mummies (and queens). If she's just from some imaginary land, then going too close to real life cultures may work against you, and if she's supposed to be at least a little related to the real thing, then do a lot more research.
    Also I can't really tell if that's supposed to be some sort of battle armor (completely useless for a real fight though) or just ceremonial armor or just her usual clothes?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Jason Rainville, Black Spot, lord_regenschirm and TinyBird! It's good to hear them. It was foolish of me to do the cover-up- people can see through my weakness right away. Reading your comments I've also realized that I was wrong to just make up a drawing and call it a character design. More thoughts are definitely going to be put into anything I call "character design" from now.
    Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.