Finding Art Style

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finding Art Style

Currently I'm beginning all over again with the basics. So basically my question is when is the right time to find your own art style?? Is it after when I learn basics drawing. Form/Shape etc ? Or does time usually determine later on what style is your own. Not sure if anyone asked this, but if there is another thread about art styles please post

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You don't find a style. It finds you. Like Soviet Russia.

In other words, stop worrying about it, get better at drawing since that's how it ends up finding you.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn it Arshes, you said what I was gonna say...

Don't worry about "finding your style". Genuine style is something that evolves naturally out of who you are, your tastes, your accumulated experience, etc. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

And if you're a beginner, the last thing you need to worry about is "style". It's so easy to fall into limiting gimmicks in the name of "style", especially if you don't quite know what you're doing yet.

(There have actually been multiple threads on this topic, but I can't locate them at the moment, sorry... Someone else will probably dig some up.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Arshes Nei Thank you thats what I needed to know I'll keep on drawing then, until my art style finds me

@QueenGwenevere: Awesome, thanks for the advice. Just what I was searching for and I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When your a beginner, you shouldn't worry about style if your wanting to create realism pictures. You probably want to focus on getting your skill level up to looking as naturalistic as possible.

Stylizing your work is simply making changes to your references that's consistent in all your pictures. Look at the first picture in this link from Norman Rockwell.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123346

Rockwell wrote:
    This is a photograph and my drawing of it made with the help of the bolopticon (projector). I have made some seemingly slight changes in doing the drawing but these changes will mean a lot when I do the finished drawing with the help of this outline. The skill and taste which you use in making such changes represents your own personal feeling and helps to make your work distinctive and your own. Never try to be different just to be different or just for effect and never try to create a superficial style. Feel intensely what you draw or paint. Then your work will automatically take on your distinctive personality and will be recognized as yours and only yours. I used an HB Wolff pencil on this.
    The definition of style is:
    style/stīl/
    Noun: A manner of doing something.
    Verb: Design or make in a particular form.
    It's understanding design that helps you stylize. Look at this link...

http://www.essential-humanities.net/supplementary-art-articles/realism-vs-stylization/

There are plenty of areas in art where someone's job is figuring out how to make a particular style. Like model sheets for an animated character. The character is "stylized". Or comic books for another example. When artist that became comic book artist, they weren't drawing from nature and their natural style happened to look like comic book art.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bowlin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While it's definitely true that your art style will find you, if you want to help it along, something you can do while you are practicing is make a folder on your computer and, every time you come across a piece of work by an artist in a style you like, save it to that folder - it will be your little "inspiration" corner. You may want to print them and make a real-world folder too. The styles you are drawn to will probably be similar to the style which is "you", and when you are doing work for yourself, you might examine some of these pieces and ask yourself why the artists chose to do things in a certain way.

It's OK to draw stuff which is stylised so long as you ALSO do studies of realism and understand how they depend upon one another (that is, that stylised work is based upon realism and an understanding of anatomy, perspective etc is required to do stylised work well). If you prefer to draw in a stylised way, this may make the process more enjoyable for you and help you understand the reasoning behind your more realistic studies.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Birkeley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bowlin Thank u! The links helped ALOT! especially rockwells quote Guess I'll have to keep studying and keep drawing.

@Birkeley Awesome Idea, I'll do that to inspire me more. I'll keep that in mind as im drawing along the way. Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An opportunity to bring up Robert Henri! I can't miss this...

"Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do."

Like others have said, your style will develop with time. Charting your interests and the art you like can help you explore the designs and techniques that are uniquely you. Your style will change with you over the years, too. It's never really "found" or "finished..." it just is.

Something I'd like to point out, because this never occurred to me when I was a beginning artist worried about "style"--style is much more than what proportions you use or how cartoony you make people. It's technique, color schemes, subject matter, mood, shapes... everything you put on the page. Indeed, "style" is even what kind of page you use! Digital canvas, cloth, walls, skin?

So go out, explore, and try out what you like to see in art! Your style will come with time.
    For the meanwhile, you should focus on technical skills and drawing realistically. But you can play sometimes, too.
    Have fun!

My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Style is nothing more than an illustrator's short-hand, and like any short-hand, once you learn how to write, you'll learn how to edit your subject to fit how you wish to say what you want."

-OmenSpirits

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JesseM:Amazing thank you for that, I need all the advice I can get! Time to explore

@OmenSpirits: Awesome quote! Gotta save that for later Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I love that Henri quote.
    Here's a line that been kicking around the SVA Illustration/Cartooning department forever (originally attributed to Joe Orlando, I think): "style is the mistakes you make that other people don't."

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,979 Times in 2,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Man, I love that Henri quote.
    Here's a line that been kicking around the SVA Illustration/Cartooning department forever (originally attributed to Joe Orlando, I think): "style is the mistakes you make that other people don't."
    Kelly Freas would always say a similar thing when asked about style

"Style is your inability to record things exactly as you envision them."

Robert Henri had another great quote about style

"Brush strokes carry a message whether you will it or not. The stroke is just like the artist at the time he makes it. All the certainties, all the uncertainties, all the bigness of his spirit and all the littleness are in it. "

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't worry about it. It'll come by itself, even if you end up trying to emulate someone else's style.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You'll have a much harder time losing style than finding it. You can have mine but it sucks.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    You'll have a much harder time losing style than finding it. You can have mine but it sucks.
    So that's why it wouldn't sell on ebay.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    David Bayles, in "Art and Fear", has an interesting take on style. He says that style is a result of the many little habits we develop as we progress with our work. How we mix our paint, where we hold our brush, the shape and size of brush, what colours we put on our palette, are all examples of little habits that lead to a style. Style is inevitable, we can't NOT have a style. So just do your work and you will have a style.

I had painted in acrylics for about 10 years when I decided I wanted to paint in a much looser, painterly "style". So I changed my medium to oil paint and brought all new supplies - brushes, supports, paints - everything. I even sought out new instructors to learn from. I was successful in developing a new approach to my artwork, but anyone who was familiar with my older acrylic stuff immediately recognized my work in the new medium. They said it just looked like my stuff. Style is a part of how you deal with the world and your own nature and it touches everything you do - including art!

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.