Art: Questions on building a portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Questions on building a portfolio

I want to start building a portfolio to do some freelance graphic design.

1. This sounds like a really silly question to me, but can I start out only doing logos? I want to do something I'm comfortable with and my skills aren't where I want them for illustrations.

2. How do I build a logo portfolio? I know I need to create spec logos, and the first step I can think of is to make up a bunch of businesses from a variety of industries and start sketching ideas. Is this the way to go or am I missing something?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) Yes. You can start off doing only logo's. Better to have more versatility, but we all have to start somewhere.

2) Portfolio - If you already have commissions, put them in there. Between 7 and 10 is a nice amount. Print on good quality paper. If it's stuff you haven't been hired to do, make sure its clean stuff; good, high resolution images; If it's a digital portfolio, I'd add a watermark for extra security. This also tells people "this image belongs to someone, no use w/o permission". The "good clean, high rez" stuff obviously applies to anything you're hired to do as well.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can start doing only logos but you WILL be selling yourself short in the long run. Layout is where the fun really is with GD -- make up a phoney magazine, some story titles, and just use ID's placeholder text to make the large blocks. Great exercise in grid layout and 'publication' design.

MY SKETCHBOOK OF CRAPTASTIC CIRCLES
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Branding is a crucial aspect to graphic design. It's not just a logo, but an identity that represents the company's products and beliefs. Building a successful brand can be just as difficult as any illustration. I've personally never had a job where the work starts and stops at just a logo. Secondly, most professional graphic designers concede that graphic design and illustration are two different fields entirely.

As stated above, you'd do yourself a favor to layout various collateral like magazine covers, publication layouts, environment design, business cards, etc. Even if you only wish to try logos, most employers like to see flat design work and mock ups of branding in use.

Don't skimp on printing. You don't have to run out and buy a Pina Zangaro book, but at least choose bright, opaque paper. Show how the logo works well in color and black and white. Show how the logo works at a reasonable scale from a business card to an outdoor board. Don't throw different logos on the same page. The brand should speak for itself.

I hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ephelan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ephelan View Post
    Branding is a crucial aspect to graphic design. It's not just a logo, but an identity that represents the company's products and beliefs. Building a successful brand can be just as difficult as any illustration. I've personally never had a job where the work starts and stops at just a logo. Secondly, most professional graphic designers concede that graphic design and illustration are two different fields entirely.

As stated above, you'd do yourself a favor to layout various collateral like magazine covers, publication layouts, environment design, business cards, etc. Even if you only wish to try logos, most employers like to see flat design work and mock ups of branding in use.

Don't skimp on printing. You don't have to run out and buy a Pina Zangaro book, but at least choose bright, opaque paper. Show how the logo works well in color and black and white. Show how the logo works at a reasonable scale from a business card to an outdoor board. Don't throw different logos on the same page. The brand should speak for itself.

I hope this helps.

*Fantastic* advice!

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out behance.net and see other peoples portfolio. This is a great way to see how designers present their work. A lot of good stuff.

Here is a sample of a branding campaign i did.
    http://said7.com/projects/possible-branding/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.