Lykke Li illustration

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Lykke Li illustration

heh guys, I noticed that most of the art here is created in photoshop, I work mainly in illustrator, not sure if this type of work is suitable on the forums here... but basically I am looking to develop and hone my skills, I believe my basic technique and rendering skills are strong but really want to up my game and improve my skills so any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    There's not much going on with the value, if you squint or look at the thumbnail of this image, facial features like the nose and eyelids get lost.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, yeah its strange when I exported from illustrator some of the values seem to be lost. I have 4-5 layers for shades.. I can either lower saturation of colour tone or make the opacity higher on the layers with the shades.

Thanks
    Kudos if you pulled that off with Illustrator!

Tinybird nailed it: value value value value!
    (That means contrast between darker tones and brighter tones)
    You should probably even push it more than I did in that 5 minute overpaint.
    The colors look like they are straight out of the tube:
    One saturated-pinkish skintone, one tone of blonde, one tone for the hyper-black shirt.
    As an experiment, take 2 or 3 good paintings of faces and colorpick the skintones from all different places in the face.
    Put the colorpicked colors nbext to each other on a neutral sheet.
    See how varied skin can be?

Tiny things:
    A lot of blondes have eyebrows that are darker than the hair on the head. It's rare to see bright eyebrows like this (and often times those women with light eyebrows use an eyebrow pencil to darken them up ).
    They are a bit intensive here.., but maybe you'll find a middleway.

Research make up. Eye liner looks far better on the outside edges of the eyes, the lashes are usually longer and thicker there. It makes the eye look tiny if it is applied everywhere with the same intensity.

She's hunching. And she has a shoulder that looks like a hunch. Down with her shoulders!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kiera, thanks lets just say alot of layers and gradients, I wanted it to be as blended as possible trying to achieve similar results to photoshop. I have taken your advice and uploaded my changes I did a screen grab from illustrator as when I export the file, the colours are more faded. First time using Cs6 so I may need to change the settings

Thanks
    I'd say it's a good start, but it's not a great likeness yet. You have softened her distinctive features like the heavy eyelids and odd upper lip too much.

If you are going to have the eyeliner be that black, you lead all attention to the eyes, so you should add some depth to them. Right now the eyelids look like they have no depth, the small shadows you have put under the upper lid is not enough. add some highlights and shadow around both upper and lower lid to remedy that. Get a reference and compare how strong the shading has to be.

Thanks
    The anatomy is correct, but the image seems very flat overall.
    Try adding more darker tones, preferably to the skin~.

And just noticed on her hair- it seems stiff at the end, and doesn't fully cover her neck right (since I see a green spot where it should be).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.