Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I don't need to draw (Misleading Title)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Just to reflect on Dusty's post...for me I just love drawing. I could care less what it is...a dragon toy from imagination...a robot...a cardboard box...my wife...don't care. So to me everything is a study...and every study is fun.
    Mine is more engrained into who I am.

During my developmental days, it was a deep desire, that eventually became like one breathes or blinks ones eyes.

Like or dislike could never come into it, because it be like not breathing (and not in some poetic-type shtick).
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Hmm. I can't say that I really relate to the "drawing is a chore" feeling... There can be tedious or difficult stretches in any piece or project, of course, but those are worth struggling through to get to the more fun bits, and everything tends to be worth it when it finally comes together and you see you've just made something cool.

However, some paying work can seem like a chore if I'd really rather be working on something else, or if I'm obliged to follow through on client decisions that I think are stupid. I motivate myself to get through those by being stubborn about doing as good a job as I can regardless of the circumstances - I have a reputation for doing good work, damned if I'll slack off just because I don't like the job. So sheer pride in my work is a pretty good motivator.

And if nothing else motivates me to finish, at the very least I keep reminding myself that I'll be paid if I finish my work. Sometimes I'll literally be telling myself "if I finish this, I can buy groceries for a week... If I finish that, I can upgrade my software..." Etc. Getting paid is a great motivator.

For school assignments, I've always found that the best way to tackle those was to find creative ways to make them interesting. (Heck, thinking up ways to jazz up a "boring" assignment can be a fun exercise in itself.) Say you have an assignment to draw a bunch of boxes... If you approach it in a disgruntled way as a chore and just throw some boring old boxes in a boring old pile and slog through a drawing wishing you were drawing something else, then of course you'll have no motivation. But suppose you come up with something cool or silly like, say, building a robot out of the boxes or hanging them from the ceiling; or you spend time trying to arrange boxes into a funky composition before you draw them; or you deliberately arrange your setup to be as difficult and challenging as possible... Then the assignment becomes much more fun. You may even get better grades.

If you don't have to draw for work and you don't have to draw for school assignments... Then draw what you DO feel like drawing. Nothing's stopping you. And like Rusty says, any drawing is better than no drawing.

Although if you want to do this for a living, you WILL have to draw things you don't feel like drawing sometimes... For those times, see above.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think I understand where you're coming from.
    I derive the most pleasure from drawing when I have a pencil+paper and almost tunnel like vision to everything else regarding 'rules'. Like I'll sit there with an object in front of me and just try to convey it on paper for the sake of it, and not worry about everything else. And the sole existence of these pieces is for scratching that innate drawing 'itch', and not for receiving compliments or critique or reflection of skills.
    Its a nice break from the usual setting up still life objects, measuring, erasing, so on and so fourth.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,174 Times in 754 Posts
    *shrug*

Less competition for the rest of us.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snacks ex machina View Post
    I feel like the suggestion I'm about to make is kind of...er...different]
    Totally. I have to calm myself down before I draw or paint. I don't meditate, but I have to listen to ASMR videos on Youtube or livestreams of people I can relate to the most, like Team Awesome or Bobby Chui.
    Last edited by donm; June 21st, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    *shrug*

Less competition for the rest of us.
    That comment fits so well with the expression in your avatar.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    I found this thread very motivating O.o,

The best advice I can give is think less and do more, when you think about assignments or doing anything in general, you will tend to procrastinate your time away which is a huge loss of valuable time. Life is limited and it is a onetime opportunity. If you have a goal, complete it. Don’t wait on another day to progress towards your goal, it might sound cliche but it’s now or never.
    If you have a moment, Help me improve with critiques. thank you Sketchbook

Awesome Sketchbooks
    nim Mechanical Man King Kostas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snacks ex machina View Post
    I feel like the suggestion I'm about to make is kind of...er...different, but maybe it would help you if you tried out meditation. Seriously, hear me out! It kind of seems like a solution that has nothing to do with the problem, but it's a really good method for dealing with unwanted or pointless stress, at least for a lot of people. Trying it out may help you calm down and clear away some of the thoughts you've been having.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...meditation.htm
    I only skimmed most of the thread so far, but I also want to enthusiastically +1 this post! Meditation teaches you calm yourself and enjoy being in the moment, and this really improves your general happiness levels. With practice you'll find you can chill out and enjoy things which you previously found tedious, like doing the washing up, ironing and yes, doing drawing drills. When you have some studies to do, do some deep breathing and meditate to calm down and release any stress or emotional/psychological about the practice. It only takes a few minutes. Then put on some music you enjoy (I'd recommend something relaxing, just so it doesn't carry you back to where you were) and just hang out with the pencil marks.

Also, if you are really finding drawing depressing or stressful, do something else for a while. I completely understand where you are coming from - years ago I got into a big funk about drawing because I was trying to please teachers/other people and worried so much about making mistakes and having to do things I didn't enjoy to improve, and it got so bad that I began to find drawing stressful and hated it. Please don't listen to people who say "just get on with it" because forcing yourself to do something you dislike will only make you dislike it more - what you need to do is tackle the issues which are causing you to feel this way in the first place, whatever is stopping you from just relaxing and drawing (read "Art & Fear" or "The Artist's Way", they are both amazing). I'll offer you some additional advice based on something I did quite accidentally: when I went to college I studied 3D modelling, which was related to drawing but didn't carry all the issues I had attached to it. I did this for a few years and then realised I wasn't finding it fulfilling and wanted to draw again. I was surprised to return to drawing and find that, after a little warming up to get back into practice, I was far, FAR better at it than I had been before. I'd taken a break of several years so this didn't make sense to me at first - if you don't practice a skill you lose it, right? Then I worked out that working with 3D modelling for so long had given me strong 3D visualisation skills and the ability to mentally examine things from different angles and understand how to represent 3D objects on a 2D plane like I never had before. The break had enabled me to work on my confidence issues and the improvement gave me further confidence, so it was a much easier ride from there. So if you're bored or depressed, try something else! Try some sculpting (traditional or digital), some painting with a medium you haven't used before, make something with your hands, anything that will help you loosen up and learn to look at things in a way you haven't before, and just enjoy the learning process without any pressure or attachment to the outcome.

Hope this helps!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Birkeley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks to everybody for their comments, I've found most of them to be very helpful. Time to crank my pace up.
    Telling me that I draw well boosts my ego, but telling me that my drawings suck makes me want to proof to you that I can do better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3