Please Critique My Still Life Drawing

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please Critique My Still Life Drawing

Comments? Suggestions? Let me hear it! Lay it on me! The most difficult part of this drawing was getting the clothing correct. Even the black cloth I put behind the figure was problematic. So I know for sure that is one thing I need to work on. Also, the figure looks a little flat, no? That is an issue of mine that I've been struggling with for awhile now. I'd like to think it's getting better but I don't know. I tend to think everything I do looks flat and completely wrong nowadays. >_> Other works are in my sketchbook if you want to compare. So yeah, please tell me what's wrong with this drawing and if there are some basic issues that I still need to work out. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see such ambition! :>

I'm not that great at this myself, but I have a feeling we should go back to the basics on how light and shadow interact. The way the light hits the forms on the doll are a bit complicated at this time.
    It's just me but I feel you should go back to practicing and observing how light hits the basic sphere, cylinder, cone, and the like first > < It may shed some light on as to why it may look flat =]

Sorry I can't really be of much help ;_;

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kouii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input! To be honest I've never sat down to study the basic shapes under a single light source. Guess I've got to go borrow some eggs from the kitchen and work on those before moving on to more complicated things, like dolls. Still got a long wayy to go. >_<

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twilightmoon777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightmoon777 View Post
    Thanks for the input! To be honest I've never sat down to study the basic shapes under a single light source. Guess I've got to go borrow some eggs from the kitchen and work on those before moving on to more complicated things, like dolls. Still got a long wayy to go. >_<
    Now's the time to do so =] Best of luck! We all have a long way to go but progress is part of the fun

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kouii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like you only use three/four tones in your shading. Maybe try to use more values, go darker and lighter and try to blend in all the tones. I also think the legs are a bit too long and the lightning on them is wrong (there's no light coming from the right).
    Sorry for all this critique, its just what i think is wrong (:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DvrJeroen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's also going to look flatter with a plain black background. There are different tones in the cloth behind the figure but you havent included them in your drawing, which is a shame because you clearly went to the trouble of placing the cloth there.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarkuzy View Post
    It looks like you only use three/four tones in your shading. Maybe try to use more values, go darker and lighter and try to blend in all the tones. I also think the legs are a bit too long and the lightning on them is wrong (there's no light coming from the right).
    Sorry for all this critique, its just what i think is wrong (:
    Yeah, I definitely think I could have and should have used more values. I had a lot of trouble seeing the values in the legs. The more I squinted the more confused I got. XD The photo I took of the image is probably not the best to look at in terms of comparing the lights and shadows of the drawing I did. I just took it so you all could just get a general idea of what I was trying to draw. And no don't apologize for the critique! I needed it. Now I know what to keep in mind for next time. I'll probably attempt it again sometime this week. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Candra H View Post
    It's also going to look flatter with a plain black background. There are different tones in the cloth behind the figure but you havent included them in your drawing, which is a shame because you clearly went to the trouble of placing the cloth there.
    Yeah, I really wanted to include the cloth but got very frustrated with it. Thus the terrible weirdness going on behind the doll. I've always had difficulty drawing cloth which is exactly why usually I either leave the background of a still life white or lay down some 6B. With this particular cloth as well I tried to squint to see the values but honestly couldn't see much of anything except for the really dark areas. I think there were many subtle changes in value that I just couldn't process at the moment. >_< Perhaps setting up some still lives of just this piece of cloth and cloth in general will be a big help? Anyway, thanks for the critique! I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good effort...but consider your setup a great deal more. First the figurine looks very, very small? Like 2" tall maybe? Try simpler things with more definite form...a few medium sized cardboard boxes...some cylinder forms...spherical forms, etc. And place them against a white or light colored backdrop/cloth...or even just on a table. Limit the light to one main light source but not too close so things get blown out.

Forget about the subject...focus on value, proportion, measuring, form, perspective, form shadow vs. cast shadow, edges...etc. Those are the real subjects at this stage.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Good effort...but consider your setup a great deal more. First the figurine looks very, very small? Like 2" tall maybe? Try simpler things with more definite form...a few medium sized cardboard boxes...some cylinder forms...spherical forms, etc. And place them against a white or light colored backdrop/cloth...or even just on a table. Limit the light to one main light source but not too close so things get blown out.

Forget about the subject...focus on value, proportion, measuring, form, perspective, form shadow vs. cast shadow, edges...etc. Those are the real subjects at this stage.
    Will do! The figurine is actually about 6", so not very very small but small. Okay, that settles it I need to work with more simpler objects. Does the texture of the object matter? For instance, should I stay away from metal for now? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I would. Ideally you want to use simple objects with simple surfaces - the whole goal at this stage is to try to understand accurate drawing of structure and form, as well as how light and shadow work across surfaces. Matte materials in white or off white tend to be the easiest surfaces to see these effects.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, here is my first attempt at drawing eggs. Even though this is a simple object it was a lot more difficult to tackle than I thought. I plan on doing many more of these but I'd thought I'd post my first attempt in this same thread so I wouldn't have to start a new one. I can already tell that I need to go much more darker next time. The shapes of the eggs are a bit off too.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightmoon777 View Post
    Okay, here is my first attempt at drawing eggs. Even though this is a simple object it was a lot more difficult to tackle than I thought. I plan on doing many more of these but I'd thought I'd post my first attempt in this same thread so I wouldn't have to start a new one. I can already tell that I need to go much more darker next time. The shapes of the eggs are a bit off too.
    Nice one! :> And, you're right; the shadows do need to be darker in some areas. Always be careful not to make all the shadows too monotonous as you observe them.

Keep up the good work

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kouii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Now do a few hundred more.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.