How to place shadows here?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Icon How to place shadows here?

Hi,

I hope this is okay to post? I normally shade my characters very basically, but this time I wanted a bit more "mood" in it and let the beams of the window throw shadows on my characters. Now I know the shadow "bends" or creeps over the shape of the figures but honestly, I don't really know how without making a random-looking striped mess.
    I might even know how to draw the shadows of the horizontal bars over the shoes and legs, but the vertical, wide ones leave me utterly clueless...

How would you place the shadws? What lines should I follow? I'm really not very experienced in "third party sadows", or those shadows from window beams in incoming sunrays.... or however you call these... I didn't find any tutorials on deviantART that address this exact issue so I'm hoping you guys could help me out?
    Also is there any place to get or create precut/clipart assault rifles in all kinds of angles? Pimp my Gun unfortunately only has the side view... And I suck at straight lines or technical drawings, so unless I trace guns, they look awful. But most of all I really need some help with the shading please

"Trivia", these are 4 (notice the blurry foot) Israeli soldiers I sketched on the train to work once. For once, I got a seat. Normally I sit on the floor with barrels of assault rifles smacking me in the face at every turn XD Obviously there is no more resemblance to the actual guys in terms of hair or facial features as I was only discretely sketching the poses from the corner of my eye while trying not to get caught and disturb those darlings. All were paratroopers but I decided to put a black boot unit in the picture as well as I've been kind of focusing on red boot units (Paratroopers, some special forces) in my previous pictures and thought it was unfair.

Background is stock and proper credit will be given upon completion.

Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Hello thar :>

First off, this drawing is adorable Cute cats! I like the composition.
    (And I'm not good with these but I want to see if I could be of any help.)

Next, regarding the mood. What kind of mood do you wish for the lighting and shadows to convey? How strong and how bright do you want the light coming through the window to be?
    The lighting in this drawing will be pretty tricky ; v ; You have to take into consideration of how the shadows from the the soldiers overlap one another, how the light shining through the windows and onto the floor will also reflect on the soldiers, and how the soldiers' shadows will alter your background.

Remember to add the shadow of the soldiers on the floor as their bodies block off the light from coming in. Some of the already laid down shadow from the the windowsill and panes will overlap on the soldiers. Not all of it will.

There actually may not be as many "striped" shadows because of the windows as you may think because we are looking at the soldiers from the back of where the light coming through the window. If we were to look from the outside and see the soldiers lying there through the windows, then we would be able to see the shadow of the window panes more obviously.
    But we are looking at the back of what the light through the window is shining on.

example:

That is what it might look like if we were looking from outside the window or in front of the subject that's behind the window. In this case, we are look at the back of what's behind the windows.

Remember how the shadow hits and how hard the light is hitting also depends on how close that object is toward foreground, middleground, or background.

The darks and lights will also show the weight of the subject. Make sure it looks as if the soldiers were truly sitting on the floor.
    There will also be a reflection/shadow that shows something is leaning or near the window, so remember the weight on that as well!

If possible, observe these from real life if you can't find any of the like online > < I think it might help more seeing it in real life rather than from a flat photo.

I've colored over your drawing to show an idea of what it might look like since I'm not good with this either. It has a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies. I'm sorry T_T And sorry if I've told you things you already know. I'm pretty all over the place with my explanation.
    And I'm sorry for doing so without permission ;__;

Best of luck to you and have fun! Again, nice draw

Drawing the rifles from perspective is mostly a matter of blocking it in. If you're familiar enough with general dimensions, you can extrapolate the third dimension from a simple technical drawing. If you're willing to wade through the crap, there's "some" stuff in my sketchbook thread involving weaponry.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

And I'm sorry for doing so without permission ;__;
    Nuuuuuuuuuh! Thanks so much! Visualizations are so much easier for me to understand, so THANK YOU for that! I love what you did, too.
    I'm so happy I could remove the 2 bars from the face of the only guy who actually has one

..cats are our national animal. 10 cats per square meter... Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow... Cats, soldiers, and chairs. The 3 typically Israeli things to see when you go out

Like so?

Thanks Falchion, is it okay if I use your drawings for reference every now and then? I wouldn't copy completely, don't worry, I only draw M16 and Tavor

I like where you're going with this, and especially like the attitude of the cats and the soldiers sitting around in front of the windows. Lots of personality in both, and some nice light effects coming along too.

A couple of things stood out though.

1. Are you sure the scale of the windows is correct? I noticed one set further away is open, french door style, but the scale of the soldiers makes them look too small for any of them to be able to walk through, even taking the perspective into account. Maybe have another look at that.

2. I wonder if the light beams might be too much. They're very bright and are blocking out a lot of the focus on the figures so maybe you could tone them down a little, and also look more closely at the effect of backlighting on the soldiers. I wonder if they might be more in silhouette, especially if you're making the sunlight outside so bright, so there'd be stronger contrasts between the light and shadows on their forms.

Anyway, no idea of any of thats useful to you. Just some thoughts and suggestions that came to mind on a first look. I hope they help a little, and good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaGiladi View Post
    Nuuuuuuuuuh! Thanks so much! Visualizations are so much easier for me to understand, so THANK YOU for that! I love what you did, too.
    I'm so happy I could remove the 2 bars from the face of the only guy who actually has one

..cats are our national animal. 10 cats per square meter... Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow... Cats, soldiers, and chairs. The 3 typically Israeli things to see when you go out

Like so?

Thanks Falchion, is it okay if I use your drawings for reference every now and then? I wouldn't copy completely, don't worry, I only draw M16 and Tavor
    I'm glad I could be of some help The mood on that piece looks great! :>
    As you continue to look at references and observations, you might notice that there will be the need for more adjusting. As Candra H had said about the lighting. Take note on the weight of the shadow caused by how strong the light would be and think about the things that you want to focus on/stand out from the picture and how that will work with the background and surrounding.
    I don't know whether of not you should change how bright the light is, but definitely take into consideration how that light will effect the weight of shadows.

Since it's cell shaded, it might simplify a few things. Cell shading's a bit confusing to me but I love it xD Looking forward to your progress :>

(kgdfdjfdhfh cats! ; / v / ; b I love cats. I didn't know they were your national animal! Cute If you don't mind me asking, (if you live in a part of Israel) it's safe for you and your family right? > < )

Thanks for your advice everyone I decided it's finished unless I make some minor revisions lateron: http://fav.me/d54eh2a

Quote Originally Posted by Kouii View Post
    (kgdfdjfdhfh cats! ; / v / ; b I love cats. I didn't know they were your national animal! Cute If you don't mind me asking, (if you live in a part of Israel) it's safe for you and your family right? > < )
    Thanks, we're okay Most of my family and friends live in the North, while the rockets are limited to the South. Which doesn't prevent me from feeling deeply angry at the terrorists either way as the fire is still coming down on my turf.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaGiladi View Post
    Thanks for your advice everyone I decided it's finished unless I make some minor revisions lateron: http://fav.me/d54eh2a

Thanks, we're okay Most of my family and friends live in the North, while the rockets are limited to the South. Which doesn't prevent me from feeling deeply angry at the terrorists either way as the fire is still coming down on my turf.
    I know. I'm sorry for that...

Seriously...the things terrorists do.

I'm glad you, your family and friends are on the safer side. Continue to take care!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.