Sketchbook: WarPaint :: Spellsword's Sketchbook - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: WarPaint :: Spellsword's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Playing with hard brush and contrasts. Will work on it further tomorrow. Or maybe not. Yeah, I definitely won't...
    Name:  sketch044.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  84.9 KB --> Name:  sketch045.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  86.9 KB

Last edited by Spellsword95; December 6th, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    DEVIANTART -:|:- BLOG -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- GOOGLE+ -:|:- FACEBOOK |:::| Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketch! Tribal totem thing.
    Name:  sketch046.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  71.5 KB Name:  sketch047.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  91.1 KB Name:  sketch048.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  91.7 KB

Last edited by Spellsword95; December 14th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
    DEVIANTART -:|:- BLOG -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- GOOGLE+ -:|:- FACEBOOK |:::| Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I've seen Hobbit yesterday. Came home from cinema and started painting studies from official photoshots. First one - Thorin Oakenshield. More to come.
    Name:  sketch049.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  247.0 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spellsword95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second photo study. Really interesting to do, I learned a couple of things from it.
    Name:  sketch050.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  137.2 KB

Last edited by Spellsword95; December 19th, 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate it when I see people younger than me(2 years in your case) who are better than me lol makes me feel like I've wasted so much time. Awesome sketchbook man. You've got some cool ideas in here, those Frazetta studies retain the feel of the paintings pretty well. I need to learn how to paint .___. anyway gl man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dichotomy: Thanks, man. Just don't give up, keep practicing and you will do better than me

Third study - Gandalf The Gray. I'm gonna post these studies on my dA in large resolution in few days.
    Name:  sketch051.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  156.0 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spellsword95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgot about this one. Random badass Uruk-Hai orc from imagination. Fellowship Of The Ring will shit bricks when they see him.
    Name:  sketch052.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  180.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies. I love this stuff.

Free for commissioned work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi , nice sketchbook - the skin around gandalfs face is particular well done. Are you going to do some moviestills ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MeteorCat: Thaaaanks!
    FatMoStank: Thank you. Those studies are based on official movie stills, so basically I already did :p Maybe I will do some screencaps later when I pirate more movies. Yarrr!

Thorin's sword - "Orcrist" or Goblin Cleaver. Another photo study with minor modifications.
    Name:  sketch053.jpg
Views: 3321
Size:  61.8 KB

And first steps in coloring previous sketch. It's 25% scale, full-res looks much better...
    Name:  sketch054.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  119.0 KB

Last edited by Spellsword95; December 19th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks again for checking by in my sketchbook man and the critic. very very appreciated!

Love your Hobbit stuff. Especially the Thorin painting. You nailed the colors I think pretty good compared to the orginal screenshot/photograph. I also love the the dude with the beams coming out of his eyes. The contrast turned out really good.
    You should check your orc before you color it. Even if anatomy is the worst thing I can do, you should check the symmetrie of his body, the right side (viewer perspective) looks a bit higher and makes everything look a bit distored, even the face i think.

Cheers
    Sandro

"It's a time machine, Napoleon. We bought it online."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Qikalain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent sketchbook! It looks like significant improvement from the first page to the third and your rendering skills are kickin!

As far as crits and comments go, I can't say much save for practicing proportions and such. It looks like you're getting there on that though, but just to help though, try learning midpoints maybe. I know they help a ton when drawing characters on the fly. Maybe try doing some environments to place your characters in too. I loved the snow monster on the first page who was eating people, and it'd be nice to see the characters in a background since they're so well rendered out.

Keep up the good work!

"I am here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of gum."
    My Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Lightning For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Qikalain: Thanks, man! I always appreciate feedback from professional guys. Painting Thorin was super fun and I enjoyed adding bright backlights everywhere. Yea, I really have to work on perspective and anatomy. Orc's right shoulder is meant to be a bit higher, 'cause he is walking toward us and he is a big heavy guy so his movements are harsh and powerful... Who I am foolin', I just suck at anatomy

Green Lightning: Thank you very much :p I make sure I'll take a look at midpoints and enviros. Thanks for stopping by!

Still a WIP. I like his eyes...
    Name:  sketch055.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  210.6 KB
    Also I posted full-res Hobbit studies in my dA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stormstone and War Elk sketches

My tablet broke and I am getting familiar with the new one. Here are first things I did with it. Sketch of the Stormstone and War Elk - first steps in realization of my colossal personal art project.

Stormstone Desert is an area place in the middle of uninhabitable continent that is being continuously struck with lightning bolts. Which are attracted by Stormstones - crystals charged with electricity. Crystal shards are expensive and rare, usually used by mages for their magic stuff and sometimes is added to the liquid steel in form of powder right before forging weapons.
    Name:  sketch056.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  399.9 KB

Orcs are using elks like we used horses - both as domestic animals and war mounts. I am planning to paint several versions (common, in armour, etc)
    Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  55.4 KB

Also still working on that Uruk-Hai dude and doing art for two indie projects. Hopefully I post something of it soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After seventeen years, for the first time in my life, I finally bought a set of pencils! Yay, party everyone!
    Name:  sketch060.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  228.1 KBName:  sketch059.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  185.9 KBName:  sketch062.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  280.1 KBName:  sketch061.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  280.8 KBName:  sketch058.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  201.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work here bro! love your digital work. That one of Gandalf made me remember how cool his pipe actually is. =p
    Just gonna have a closer look at your work. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started working on like dozen of various paintings, because some ideas came up in my mind and I want to capture them in the canvas, but then another ones come and I transfer my attention to them and end up with dozen of sketches and unfinished studies. Now gotta finish them all...

Here, Lemmy Kilmister of the Motorhead, wip painting from photo ref i accidentally found.
    Name:  sketch063.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  292.0 KB

And zoomed-out preview...

Last edited by Spellsword95; January 15th, 2013 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still worrking on that orc guy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving your sketchbook,dude! For a 17 year old,you're really advanced and by the time you'll be in your mid 20's the awesomeness that you're gonna produce will make heads explode.

Your sketches are always dynamic and you seem to have a good understanding of anatomy and how the light falls on the characters,so I'm curious to know if you're self taught or have you been taking art classes?
    I'm asking because I have a hard time building stuff from my head and how the light and shadows fall on characters/objects.If you have any advice,I would surely appreciate it.

I'll also subscribe to your thread because it's great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, ive seen really sick work on this, from all ages. But man for 17 your lighting, lines and creativity is so great, i aim to at least be as good as you in the years to come. Im going to keep an eye on you for sure bro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some crazy, good work here. Great SB, I'll be coming back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My scanner sucks at scanning

Kriss_Kringle: Thanks a lot for kind words! I am self taught and still have a shitload of things to learn ahead. I missed application test for art school, so there is no other way. Maybe It's even better like this. I am awful teacher, therefore my only advice is: Practice 'till you drop dead and have high expectations about your results. When you draw/paint, imagine how real materials looks, like light on textures and cast shadows, reflections and backlights etc. And of course, observe other people's works. Check out my Favourites folder on my DeviantART if you want

DpttArt: Thanks dude. Nah, in fact, my creativity refuses to cooperate with me almost every time

forestdino: Thanks, I'll be waiting for ya

Thanks to everyone for kind and encouraging words, here is your reward: two crappy drawings I did in school yesterday. Mecha girl, which I'd really like to paint digitally, and elves alias "Pointy Ears Squad". My sketches are messed up, scanner sucks at scanning and I don't like this at all...
    Name:  sketch066.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  401.6 KB

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Spellsword95 For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello man, your works are very interesting and with good potential. Its great to see you drawing a lot, i mean you have very nice sketches and they will keep becoming better. You need more work with how you depict light and shadow but all will come. Its very important that you draw a lot, its the basic of the basic . I enjoy these stuff i think you are gonna move very fast soon. Definitely keep up the good work!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas: Thanks a lot! Nice to hear kind words from someone who paints like you! I will surely work on lighting more.

Looks like I found my new favorite part of armor - gauntlets. Some fantasy designs:
    Name:  sketch068.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  241.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The white on black loos tight man! and im loving the photo studies from the hobbit..

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your sketches very much, really cool stuff, Spellsword.

Your linework is a bit messy sometimes. Try to either reduce the amount of hatching to get to the point or use your hatching to follow the form. Also when you hatch, don´t do it in one stroke just to be quick otherwise you get these wavy looking strokes.

Keep that in mind. Maybe far back in your mind because you will figure it out by yourself anyways^^
    It just takes some time. Keep at it and draw the things you´re interested in. You will improve very quickly! This gonna be good

See you around!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i'm really inspired by your works dude keep it it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rem92: Thanks!
    KiBa: Thanks for coming by, I appreciate your advice. Working on my hatching daily from now. I won't disappoint you
    Yemi775: Thanks bro, I will

Recent stuff - Study of my workplace, random smokey skull in armor and sketch of another Dracopedia contest. The task is to paint an ice dragon and you know what sucks? I already painted ice dragon for previous contest (1st page) and now it looks like I am doing another one. Feeling like copying myself...
    Name:  sketch069.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  274.2 KBName:  sketch070.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  187.9 KBName:  sketch071.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  142.4 KB

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lovely mate . Be more sure about your lightsource. For example in the skeleton, where is the light coming from? or maybe its diffused light, but if its diffused there would be smooth transitions everywhere
    keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kingkostas: Hey mate! Great that your majesty checked out this humble sketchbook Where is light? I'll be damned if I know. Usually I paint something without thinking of lights and shadows and it looks OK to me because I stare at it for hours. Mostly it is 'default' light from top left corner. More or less... But I am working on lightsources. Nothing to show yet, but I'm slowly getting into it

Heya folks, there wasn't much of free time, but I did a little of this and little of that. Two photo studies and the dragon. He is just chilling out. Literally. Can't decide what pose is better. What do you think?
    Name:  sketch073.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  325.1 KBName:  sketch074.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  253.4 KB Name:  sketch072.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  274.0 KB

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 156