Any critique welcome. Please and thank you!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Any critique welcome. Please and thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Any critique welcome. Please and thank you!

Hello there
    I'm new to ConceptArt but I've done some browsing around and seen some great art and people. I was wondering if I could get a few pointers/opinions on how the colors in this WIP from you guys

One of the questions I have is:
    Since her turtleneck is yellow-ish green, will I need to add more hint of that color onto her hair? I am a bit confused on how I should distribute my colors or whether or not it's too early to tell.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this. :>
    (Critique definitely welcome!)

EDIT: Lol, thank you guys ; / v / ; b

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kouii; June 21st, 2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: EDIT: (File size)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly you might want to downsize so we can see it without scrolling X)

No I don't think you need it in her hair, you got it in her eyes. I like how you used the reddish orangey colors in her shirt but it looks like the top of her chest is shaded and the bottom isn't. Also this is just me, but the face is a really similar hue to the hair, I wouldn't say it's a problem but I don't know if I would have done it that way. I don't know, don't worry about that, just mentioning it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aliM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aliM View Post
    Firstly you might want to downsize so we can see it without scrolling X)

No I don't think you need it in her hair, you got it in her eyes. I like how you used the reddish orangey colors in her shirt but it looks like the top of her chest is shaded and the bottom isn't. Also this is just me, but the face is a really similar hue to the hair, I wouldn't say it's a problem but I don't know if I would have done it that way. I don't know, don't worry about that, just mentioning it.
    Ack! Sorry about that! I'll do that. Thank you for letting me know and for your critique
    And you're right. Her hair and skin are a bit close in hue. I'm not sure why I chose to go with red-orange but at the time, I thought it would work out > <
    I wasn't sure where I was going with for the light source either. I was thinking about making it coming from below her hence why the top of her chest is shaded rather than the bottom.

Again, thank you for looking at this :'>

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yellowish green? It seems a bit desaturated yellow to me... Whatever.

You said light is coming from the bottom. I don't really see anything of it in the hair, face, the clothes are too sketchy to show a light source too.
    But I don't understand why you cropped the figure like this (the ear/edge of pic is a nasty tangent, by the way). It's a very tight crop horizontally and vertically unbalanced, the visible part of the head is squished into the top and we see so much of the pretty boring (and extremely sketchy at the moment) turtleneck. We don't see what the arm is doing, I personally don't dig that oversized boob...

Erm, I didn't want to tear apart your piece (not like there's anything wrong with that many people handle it quite well here), I just dumped my first thoughts. Seriously, what's your goal? What makes this gal worth to draw? Even if the face would be totally neat (it's not so bad but definitely needs work), it would just be a face with some clothes, it's not strong enough to be a portrait, it doesn't tell us, like, anything, it's just some lil piece cut from an everyday scene. What's on your mind? What would you show us? How can you do it? Maybe you should think about that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by shiNIN View Post
    Yellowish green? It seems a bit desaturated yellow to me... Whatever.

You said light is coming from the bottom. I don't really see anything of it in the hair, face, the clothes are too sketchy to show a light source too.
    But I don't understand why you cropped the figure like this (the ear/edge of pic is a nasty tangent, by the way). It's a very tight crop horizontally and vertically unbalanced, the visible part of the head is squished into the top and we see so much of the pretty boring (and extremely sketchy at the moment) turtleneck. We don't see what the arm is doing, I personally don't dig that oversized boob...

Erm, I didn't want to tear apart your piece (not like there's anything wrong with that many people handle it quite well here), I just dumped my first thoughts. Seriously, what's your goal? What makes this gal worth to draw? Even if the face would be totally neat (it's not so bad but definitely needs work), it would just be a face with some clothes, it's not strong enough to be a portrait, it doesn't tell us, like, anything, it's just some lil piece cut from an everyday scene. What's on your mind? What would you show us? How can you do it? Maybe you should think about that.
    Ahaha, thank you for taking the time to look at this! Cleared up many things for me xD
    I don't like how the chest looks either. From the very beginning, I have had a lot of trouble drawing chests. Drawing it from observation and anatomy class, I'm okay with. Without any reference, I guess I'm no good. This is my first time having drawn a chest that's too big rather than too flat/small ; / v / ;

You make a lot of good points. I'm unsure about a lot of things like as to why I put the composition like this...
    This is about my first time in a long time getting criticism like I am now so I'm really glad.

Thank you for the eye openers, shiNIN

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The brushstrokes and colors look really pretty and painterly, that is cool - but it looks like you've been trying to avoid critique on the other parts.
    The thread title and the cropping, they hide the problem with the structure:
    The head seems to be drawn from the side (with an awkward anime side-mouth and a small eye) and the torso is drawn from the front. Head and body don't seem to belong to the same person.
    And now? Get reference photos, look at them while painting .

Last edited by Kiera; June 21st, 2012 at 05:47 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiera For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    The brushstrokes and colors look really pretty and painterly, that is cool - but it looks like you've been trying to avoid critique on the other parts.
    The thread title and the cropping, they hide the problem with the structure:
    The head seems to be drawn from the side (with an awkward anime side-mouth and a small eye) and the torso is drawn from the front. Head and body don't seem to belong to the same person.
    And now? Get reference photos, look at them while painting .
    Thank you for taking time out to look at this, Kiera! :>

As for the cropping, I think I completely forgot to take into consideration the composition ;____; This picture started out as a floating head and it looked very awkward to be so I extended the height dimension to fit a bit of the body but I completely forgot to take into consideration the width or work with the composition in a better way.

Thank you again for the critique. I'll definitely get working to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kouii
    I like the colours they give me an autumn feeling
    But just as Kiera said there is something wrong with the shoulder and its like The chest in 3D but the face and rest is really flat also i think that her chest is too much pushed to the front... hmmm not sure but there is something weird going below the neck
    Still like it ~!
    Good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.