Question about drawing aproach

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Question about drawing aproach

First question, when i draw i start with perspective grids and everything is very precise but as a result all of my drawings are very stiff should i continue drawing like that or should i dump drawing perspective grids etc.?
    Second question, im having trouble with drawing landscapes when i try to draw massive landscapes i still end up with small boxy type of structures also its hard for me to draw landscapes with pencils digitally its much easier with bigger brush sizes and all that.
    Advice would be appreciated

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    As far as the landscape thing goes, when I started to cross from digital to trad I kept three rules in mind:

1. Hit your shadows first, starting with the lightest and furthest. Don't draw definitive outlines until you're very sure about where things are going to be.

2. Be extremely patient, think about your composition ahead of time, even in a simple sketch.

3. Draw loose but thoughtfully and then constrict/constringe on your focal, if you must.

Remembering those three things helps me a lot.

edit

Last edited by loshon; June 20th, 2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: correction of terms

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Hmmm...I think some of your vocabulary is turned around loshon.

I don't know what you mean by "outlining"? The best approach is to work from large simple shapes to small..refining and emphasizing information as you see fit to develop the image. This generally means starting with a simple, light compositional framework sketch.

Definitely want to think about composition before you start, but when working from life your composition is never given to you...you develop it from what is before you.

A softer pencil will lay down darker marks and passages which should be reserved for adding the final punch to the image. And yes, you want that punch and contrast in focal areas, but you achieve that with a softer pencil, not harder. Perhaps did you mean "lighter" and "darker" rather than "softer" and "harder"? This is where vocabulary and terms get pretty important, it can be easy to say the opposite of what you mean.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    By outlining I meant don't start with edges, start with shapes.

You're right, I completely mixed up my terms at the end there. What I was trying to say was not about pencil selection but about pressure and detail; keep it relaxed and only tighten up once the full composition is in order. An extension of "don't lose sight of the forest for the trees". I don't know if this is the best way to go about it, but it helped me so I figured I'd mention it.

Thanks for correcting me.

Thanks
    Thanks you for the advice this definitely will help me out !

Thanks
    Well perspective is very important in when drawing things such as buildings, book cases shelves, pretty much any thing with parallel lines. A grid isn't always necessary if you're draw something like a forest like environment. Try being looser when sketching out your landscapes then make things look nice work around the page not just in one spot until it looks prefect.

Members who have read this thread: 1