Steampunk Dinosaur- 2.0. Critique humbly requested!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Steampunk Dinosaur- 2.0. Critique humbly requested!

Whoops!
    My bad- apologies all. Last thread I attached a PDF as opposed to a jpeg, unaware that that wasn't kosher around here. Anyway, here's the JPEGified version of the picture I was requesting critique onATTACH]1502412[/ATTACH]

Anyway- do not be kind! Anatomical errors, erratic shading- point out where I screwed up!

Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSVFi...layer_embedded

This video clears up some of the problems that I don't have the time to describe. As for basic things, the skin material looks very flat with no real shadows or highlights. The perspective it off on the head, and the composition is bad because there is really no background which means no obvious vanishing points.

My suggestion would be to draw the whole creature out of boxes with very accurate two point perspective, then once you have a feel for the shape do a final sketch, then do some material studies noticing how highlights work on leather and how draw metal, and then you will have something that can be further critiqued.

Lastly, not offense but its not a great drawing to begin with, there are tons of problems with it. If I were you I would spend some time just learning painting, both digital and traditional and simply practice more. Especially work on your fundamentals such as perspective, lighting, etc, that is one of the biggest problems I see so far.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renzowolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Thank you!

Thanks for the crit. Don't bother with "no offence" either- I came to have my work torn apart and you delivered. I agree it's not a very good picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could have just edited you original post in your other thread. That way you wouldnt have two threads about the same subject.

Also, can you make this image smaller, about 800p on a side, please. It's far too big.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you could have just edited your original thread instead of staring a new one and this image is really huge but I'm assuming you're lacking any proper image handling programs? (Considering the fact that you even tried to post an image as a pdf...)

For the image, I'd just say: draw A LOT more. There's structural problems, there's anatomy problems and there's that adding few metals parts to a dinosaur doesn't make it steampunk really, but the first two are more important.
    I'd suggest that you try to find a book called "The art of animal drawing" by Ken Hultgren as it deals with constructing and drawing animals: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Animal.../dp/B0006ASHDQ and concentrate even more on drawing from life. There's a thread about using toys as a help in drawing and I posted a link about Schleich animal toys: http://www.schleich-s.com/ and it might help you to buy a dinosaur figure or two and draw that.
    As for the design and the metal parts, it just looks like you don't yet have enough understanding of design, anatomy and mechanical parts to really make that look believable or good.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Thanks to all of you

A huge thank you for all the crit so far- Tinybird, thank you very much for the link. I'm a bit strapped for cash but I'll try to steal a few of my brother's toys. I'll practice for a bit and post again sometime soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little new here too, but I think that once you do what the others suggested I recommend drawing the whole dinosaur out. It really doesn't read as steampunk. Not to mention all the metal parts on the dinosaur seem to be on one side of his body. That's just a little wierd. Because then it would seem more like he was cut in half. I'm also pretty sure you would be able to see the other wing in a pose like this. And maybe I'm wrong, but based off of what I see now. It doesn't seem like his wings would be able to hold his weight.

Looking forward to the update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakefire15 View Post
    Anyway- do not be kind! Anatomical errors...
    Okay... quite a few. Overall I'll agree with Tinybird and Renzowolf in that you should draw more and use more 3D construction.

Specifically, it seems to be constructed from a few select, wavy outlines. Not much reference to real skeletal structures, so that it's hard to tell which types or species it's supposed to resemble. I assume it's meant to ge a generico-saur anyway, but there are a few general theropod features that could be tweaked or included.
    Find some references for the shape of the skulls; the opening in the skulls - eye socket, nasal opening etc.; for that matter the probable shape and look of the eye (think more bird, than human with cat pupils); the shape and arrangement of the ridges and crests on top of the head; the shape of the jaws and how muscles probably affected that; the shape and arrangement of the teeth, even.
    Further down: it's now known that theropods couldn't hold their hands palms-downward (or pronated) in the bunny-rabbit style, only sideways, with palms facing eachother. It helps when you think of it as the precursor to the bird wing. The arm just runs into the side of the torso, at a slightly awkward angle - worth looking up animal and dinosaur shoulder anatomy, I think.
    But the most surprising bit for me is that the green scraps around the mechanical wing suggest that this animal originally had dragon-style wings! Obviously with steampunk implants it's not exactly a rigorous scientific restoration; but even so, that shunts it even beyond generico-saur status in my eyes. Not so much a steampunk dinosaur as steampunk dragon. Which is not a bad concept in itself but not quite what you were aiming for, I imagine.

Some bits like the skull ridges and hands give me a sneaking feeling. It might sound strange to a dinosaur newbie, but the Jurassic Park dinosaurs are not good references for the real thing, at all, at all. And by extension, a bunch of Schleich models. Sorry Tinybird. I saw that thread and I can see the benefits in posing and rendering, but I think dino models are a little worse off than humans in having the real thing to check against. Or looking like what it's supposed to be...
    It can be difficult to find good tutorials and pointers for life restorations online or in print - slotting the muscles into the skeleton etc. etc. - but here are a few jumping-off points.

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/ - the site author, and other skilled restorers, also have a lot of material on Deviantart.
    Drawing Raptors - even this is a bit out of date with regards to plumage, but it's still good solid stuff.
    http://dinogoss.blogspot.co.uk/ - click on the 'art' label down the right side.
    David Krentz Presentz - a suggestion for smaller/pricier but somewhat more accurate models, if desired.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vermis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    Sorry Tinybird. I saw that thread and I can see the benefits in posing and rendering, but I think dino models are a little worse off than humans in having the real thing to check against.
    Oh trust me, I'm definitely not advocating those toys as good anatomical references here or in the other thread (I could have made it bit more apparent I think, because some of the dinosaur models are really sad. I myself own a truly braindead looking derponychus toy, you should see the shovel-sized hands and the wavy tail) but just as a help on practicing observing the 3D form of a somewhat basic dinosaurian shape.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Some bits like the skull ridges and hands give me a sneaking feeling.
    Actually, I've never seen Jurassic Park. What happened here is I decided to try drawing an allosaur after getting a sideways glance at one. this is the result.

This is a huge problem though. I have this assumption that if I get a good look at something I can fill in the gaps with my imagination, but logically I know that's not true. That's why I came here- DA is a great confidence booster, but I wasn't improving in the slightest.

Speaking of DA, I have to ask... I've read a few threads, started by DAers like me, that come across as just horrorshows of egotism, snobbery, and jackassery, and I'm praying I'm not behaving like your stereotypical TARTlet. Am I?

Last edited by Snakefire15; June 18th, 2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: poor wording of an important sentence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakefire15 View Post
    Speaking of DA, I have to ask... I've read a few threads, started by DAers like me, that come across as just horrorshows of egotism, snobbery, and jackassery, and I'm praying I'm not behaving like your stereotypical TARTlet. Am I?
    Just concentrate on working on your art, that's the best you can do to avoid that.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seconded about just focusing on your art and improving. Forget about egos or internet personalities - it's not important and worrying about it wont make your art any better, it'll just get in the way.

I still havent been able to look at your whole picture so I cant really comment on it. But if you're trying for a bit of dinosaur realism, then Vermis' links and advice are just what you need to pay attention to. I do like the idea of a steampunk dinosaur though. Good luck!

Vermis, those dinosaur models look fantastic. Thanks for linking to them.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.