Bamboo vs Intuos

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bamboo vs Intuos

After reading up here on the site (sticky topics) and on other sites (including Wacom's own site, a whole bunch of message boards and whatever else I could find on Google...) I'm STILL not quite sure what the big difference is between the Bamboo and the Intuos line, or rather, why I'd get which one.

Either the answers I've found are pretty old, or useless like "pro vs home" (the hell does that mean? gimme some stats!)

- Will I really notice the pressure levels? 1000 seems enough to not notice an extra 1000 levels.

- How big is the "pen tilt" thing? Is that something I'll only notice in when using certain brushes?

I basically do two types of drawings:
    Bamboo vs Intuos
    Bamboo vs Intuos

So, I guess I'm asking, which one should I get? Is the Intuos worth the money? Am I going to notice the difference? (I have an old Bamboo model right now, and am looking to replace it.)

Last edited by AboutaDirk; June 18th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
    Just "Dirk" will do!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. That's the most inconsistent/messy forum post I've written in quite a while.

Just "Dirk" will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me moving from the Bamboo Fun to the Intuos was all about control, the Bamboo was like drawing on ice rather than paper.

I can't speak for anyone else but tilt is hugely important to me, every bit as important as pressure sensitivity, and very much worth the extra money.

I haven't use one of the newer Bamboo tablets, I just upgraded from an Intuos 4 medium to an Intuos 5 large and again noticed improved control of brushes.

With the addition of an Art Pen you also get barrel rotation which is also quite useful.

While you may not notice much difference in drawings like your second illustration, I believe you would notice a big difference in drawings like your first illustration.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ClaudiaP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it just depends on how the artist adjusts. For one thing I know people very comfortable using a mouse to draw. Crazy as that may sound for most other people.

There are many that don't feel the difference between an intuos and Bamboo, and while this is in regards to the older bamboo (with 512) it still kinda is the same with the newer intuos and newer bamboos. I did when I used my sister's graphire and I had an intuos1 at the time.

I feel the difference between a Motion Computing LE1700 and my intuos. (I have models 3-5 with me now).

The thing I can't live without are my shortcuts. The major difference between a bamboo and intuos is that the latter you can program the shortcuts for each individual program. This is useful for programs that have different keys that you can't necessarily switch in program.

I'm also using the radial menu a lot more for things like "Select All" and save. I've been finding more useful shortcuts when I draw and found myself not reaching for the keyboard as much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suppose I could fit this neatly here, I am trying to figure out what would be the best buy for me, I am between the Bamboo Create and the Intuos 5 small as those are both with in my "spare" money budget. I plan on using it for every and anything I can learn sketching, digital painting, concept art etc My questions are:

Same as Op does pressure/tilt make or break each tablet?
    I have heard that the Intuos small is too small is that true? Which is better for beginners who don't want to have to upgrade a year later (likely due to budget)? I have tried to search examples of work done on bamboo create and all I come up with is anime stuff, is it possible to do things like FZDschool paintings on create or does it have some sort of technology limit I am unaware of?

Hopefully I can find some more info I'd like to purchase today so the money doesnt get diverted to something else lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAsgardKid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No - pen tilt doesn't necessarily make or break the tablet. It just depends on how you draw.

An intuos small is ideal for laptops and lower resolutions, if you have a screen about 19" or bigger I'd go with a medium. If you have 1920x1080 resolution (and especially if you use 2 monitors) go with a large.

There's also those who like to use their arm more than wrist - so a large is also ideal.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; June 18th, 2012 at 02:46 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm supposed to be using my arm to draw, or so I have been told. I think I am leaning towards the bamboo create, its a bit more spacious and "ahem" cheaper. I think it fits more inline with what you posted.

If I do get the intuos small will working on a 21inch monitor or larger be very problematic? I did mention this will be the first time ever touching a tablet for me right? lol. I don't think there will be a huge difference in quality of work on the bamboo or intuos aside from my own capabilities right?

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like I said, after a certain size of monitor you should be going to an intuos medum or large.

I use 2 23" monitors. I lose a lot of real estate on my monitors because I tell the tablet to force proportions for 2 monitors by default. I can however change the mapping on the intuos per program basis. I don't believe you can do that with the bamboo - it's like an overall mapping.

This can be problematic if you need to change the mapping settings based on a program that doesn't like 2 monitors. For example - Open Canvas 1.1 tends to offset my pointer- as does Easy Paint Tool Sai at times.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IMHO I think the small tablet would be more than problematic, imagine trying to draw or paint on a postcard.

If there is no way for you to save the money for at least a medium Intuos then I would say go with the Bamboo create, but in all likelihood you will be wanting to upgrade within a year or two unless you decide not to stick with artwork.

I started out with a Medium Bamboo Fun and I was sure that was all I needed, a little over 6 months later I upgraded to an Intuos 4 medium, certain that the medium size was fine. Now two years later I have upgraded again to an Intuos 5 large partly because I was beginning to feel cramped, using 2 monitors with the Intuos mapped to use only 1, and partly because I am getting a new laptop that is powerful enough to handle Painter and CS6 and the medium Intuos 4 will work well for that.

I do use the programmable buttons but haven't programmed the radial menu since I have had a lot of trouble with Wacom drivers crashing and corrupting my preferences. After having to redo all of my settings several times (the backup would not load properly) on the Intuos 4 I gave up and only program a few buttons.

I will give it another try on the I 5 and hopefully this time things will work right.
    The programmable buttons and radial menu are very much worth the Intuos when they stay programmed, but size is more important to me.

I can live with lower pressure sensitivity and without tilt if necessary, but I prefer not to.
    I have a Fujitsu Tablet PC that has no tilt and lower pressure sensitivity and I can sketch and paint on it, but usually end up moving the file to the desktop to finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you guys are kidding me!

On the Wacom website, all the apparent difference is size, or layout a bit, and some minor statistics. Those guys really need to make their site a lot clearer. On their shop site they don't even mention the sizes of these pads!

Thanks so much for all the answers, you've all been of great help

I'm gonna go with the Intuos, obviously. It just seems like a better overall product, more complete.

On a side note; I do most of my sketching in MS Paint, with a mouse

Just "Dirk" will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There used to be a compare models across different tablets on their site. They've re-arranged it so many times it's now gone - along with the ability to read driver bulletins when they update the driver.

(The compare models now only compares sizes of the same model).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    There used to be a compare models across different tablets on their site. They've re-arranged it so many times it's now gone - along with the ability to read driver bulletins when they update the driver.

(The compare models now only compares sizes of the same model).
    I work as a user experience / user interface designer, this kind of stuff makes me fling poo at windows.

Just "Dirk" will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Intuos5 was just delivered at work.

I'm WAY happy with it. The way it responds, the way it looks, the size... I got the medium one (I think) but it's about as big as an A4, which is easily enough, and then some.

VERY responsive, really love the feel of the pen on the slightly rough tablet.

Just wondering: what are the different nibs for? Do they serve any special purpose, other than personal preference?

I've noticed one with a spring it, one with a white tip, and some that seem made of a slightly rougher material.

Anyway, so far I've been blown away.

Just "Dirk" will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    > Do they serve any special purpose, other than personal preference?
    nope, they're only adding some extra natural feel to the drawing/painting process, for people who'd prefer more fluid/rough experience compared to default plastic nib.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dandy. I'll take 'm for a spin then

Just "Dirk" will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went with the Intuos4 Medium, it just got here not long. It's so shiny lol.

Members who have read this thread: 7