Sketchbook: The journey of the Grey Vagrant.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The journey of the Grey Vagrant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The journey of the Grey Vagrant.

I'll try to post here every day ,so no of my humble attempts to draw remains undocumented . All of my sketches, my finished and unfinished works ,my creations ,most of what i will do during this journey will be here .My level is near zero ,but it doesn't matter. I'll simply carry on.

My journey has begun...

These are my quick (15 min) sketches of a nude model ,i've made today and ongoing work on the Plato's head.

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another day ,another time to draw some awful pictures .
    My hardships over Plato's head continue (due to it's immence failure and unimaginable amount of mistakes, i'd better prepare myself for an another work soon). There are also some sketches ,made in overcrowded subway. I am practicing in SketchBook Pro. It is the very rough beginning of my attempt to copy a picture of the famed spacecraft Pioneer 10. I don't know what to do with such a hideous attempt. I might start anew or try to fix it .I must work hard , it is the only certain thing in my life.

Last edited by Vagabond Gris; June 25th, 2012 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm working on that space probe , it is quite funny , I've never ever worked with digital art, so it is my first experience .
    I've begun another still life , i'll try to do it steadily and carefully , i need this type of experience and patience .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start, and you seem to be doing all the right things to improve. Definetly keep up the lifedrawing as it'll help out loads later on down the line.

With the lifedrawings I feel you've done a great job of capturing the poses. But the sketchy lines make them feel unconfident and noisy. I would say try and be more economical with the lines, and also to trust your instincts and just go with the first line you mark down. I found using chunky pens helped me to think alot more before making a mark, and I would highly recommend it for you.

Anyway hope that helps good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacky-Boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jacky-Boy -Thanks for the encouragement and for noting my current flaw № 1. Sketchy lines are my weakness and i have always wandered how can i change such a bad habit. I've decided to follow your advice and switch to pens and ONLY pens while making sketches .It is cruel and makes my sketches even worse , but self discipline and good habits are certainly worth it.
    So, i'm making ink sketches during my subway rides and was fortunate enough to make one sketch while being in the lab. The shaky environment of subway makes the lines erratic ,but it is so fun to draw as quickly as possible.
    I've made a huge mistake by not practicing the digital painting today , so i'v made a sketchy still life "Orange in the little box". It took me about 20-30 minutes. Just quick fun with acrylic paints with no sense.
    Also ,my health club has went bankrupt recently , so i'll have to fight my obesity everywhere else . But i do not loose my spirit . I've got a lot to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well , my time is short . I am trying to doodle as much as possible and hope , that the extensive use of pen will train my lines into a little more comprehensive thing sooner or later. In my atelier , i've finished a quick ( 6 hours) drawing of Gattamelata's head . I'd better switch to my newest drawing as soon as possible , i think. As long as i have some free time , there is always hope.
    Oh , and tomorrow i'll have an Exam. It will be English , i feel so dumb today.
    But , no matter what, my journey goes on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My work on this Space Probe is going on. It is my only chance to paint , since i seldomly use any sorts of paints , concentrating on ink or pencil drawings instead.

Last edited by Vagabond Gris; June 23rd, 2012 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone again. I'm concentrating on that still life study , which very rough outline i was fortunate to do today. It is awful right now and will be such in the future , since i'm awful artist, but the experience is worth it. Tomorrow i'll have some quick studies of nude body ,which i will draw using ink , because i do not trust my line.
    Anyhow , i think it will be a little bit more polite to post here less often to not to flood this magnificent forum with my shameful junk. i will be really grateful for any critique from those, who dwell in this forum.

Last edited by Vagabond Gris; June 24th, 2012 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My journey goes on. I've making some pen sketches during the subway rides and have tried to use pen , while making quick nude model studies yesterday. As I've expected , most of my attempts were simply gross , but it doesn't matter . I'm working on my still life and Pioneer 10 copy and the work goes rather smoothly and steadily (or so i think).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first two pictures are quick pastel studies of still life (90 and 50 minutes respectively) .The third is the rough beginning of the study of another still life(acrylic paints). The fourth picture is the outline of my last current study , that i will finish next week. All those works were done in the atelier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great dedication here. I think you can benefit from focusing more on your line quality. I recommend blind contour studies to help you out with this (basically you press on the pencil as hard as possible while looking at something; This will train your hand to eye coordination as well as improve yoru line quality. I also recommend the book titled 'The Natural Way to Draw' as that can benefit you at this stage. Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cgaddict- thank you for cheering me up. It is such a honour to hear such kind words and useful advices from such a great artist as you.
    I have started to do blind contour studies for 15-30 minutes each day. As for book , you have recommended , i have acquired it , but have not begun reading it yet .

I was quite busy recently . My PC has died and it took me the whole day to revive it . The prospect of learning digital art solely by using Ubuntu and GIMP is not quite the thing i want to tolerate now .
    I was fortunate enough to make some studies and sketches during these busy days . I hope , i will be able to manage my time better to dedicate more time and efforts into the studying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life goes on.

I'm going to a countryside this weekend .Hope ,i will be able to do some pastoral studies and sketches .
    Anyway , there is slight update of my earlier still life pastel study . The second picture is the quick ( maybe 70 minutes) pastel study of another still life The last is the conclusion on my acrylic work. All of those were done in atelier .I'm not happy with the results ,but there is nothing i can do to change the situation now .I must draw more , sketch more and work hard. I am lucky, that i'm single and don't need to pay attention to some sorts of GFs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My journey to the countryside was shorter than i have expected and i was able to do only one quick landscape study . I have forgot my brushes, so i 've used my fingers instead . Unfortunately that work was irreversibly damaged on the way home . I'll have another chance next weekend.
    Meanwhile I'm continuing my work on my current pencil still life drawing and have begun another still life painting in the atelier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still struggling with my shaky lines . And i am very very tired of endless studies . So, after my return from the voyage to France , i will begin my work on my own original works . I must reward my imagination after all.
    Those are my studies I've done recently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am back.It was a remarkable journey . I adored the pastoral perfection of french countryside , the lovely shores of the English Channel, was shocked by sheer size of mighty Gothic cathedrals and simple beauty of the castles . But city of Paris have not impressed me. I felt really claustrophobic while being on it's tiny streets with so much of buildings and so little of the sky .And tourists. they were everywhere...
    Anyway , as a warm up after that journey i've begun to work on the painting of a castle , inspired by ones i've seen in Brittany and Pays de la Loire. It is really simple and just a study of basic castles features and the sea.I am using acrylic and tempera paints .
    The work is on very early stage and i will undoubtedly change a lot of thing during it's course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice passion you have! Keep your studies up, I know they can be tiring, but also be sure not to confuse observational drawing where you are drawing a whole scene as a study. (depending on what you wish to gain from said study).
    spending your time rendering the hell out of a subject say i.e. a person, won't help you draw a person compared to focusing on elements of what makes a person a person.
    Gesture studies which are quick help you to learn the general shape of things and then once you are able to do that, hone in on areas for example when doing a portrait. sometimes it may be best to just draw the general features of the face and not worry about rendering. and then try and replicate the drawing, using YOUR drawing as reference and then try and do it again without looking at any reference, this trains you to remember features and pull them out from memory.

I could be mistaken and unfortunately I have not been drawing seriously long enough to back up my words with skill but, when you are as hungry as me to improve, you read alot and form a best approach to improve. These are one of the conclusions I have come up to with improving.
    unless you practice what you study the only skill that will rise is your ability to copy.

lol sorry for babbling xD anyway good luck! looking forward to seeing you develop

If I happen to comment on your sketchbook, please don't feel obliged to comment on mine. use that time instead to get back to work.

CA sketchbook: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245741

Deviantart: http://luthertaylor.deviantart.com/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to luthertaylor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    luthertaylor- Thanks for your kind words. Such an encouragement from the more experienced artists like you is very important to me . The knowledge , that i am not completely alone in my struggles helps me to carry on .
    I am continuing my work over that castle . It's in in it's early stages still.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am about to get another job besides the science. It means I'll have even less time to spare , but I believe, that it is good for me. From now I will use every spare moment to improve. I don't watch TV, have no kids to raise or girlfriend to please, so it is going to be ok. Harder the challenge, better the prize.
    I've been to quick model studies after long absence, so I was surprised, that my lines became worse. But still, I will carry on my journey.
    I am working on my still life and hope. that I will finish it some day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I still live. Quite busy with my new job, but that's only way to earn extra money for my studies. I am continuing to make quick figure's sketches, keep forgetting to do blind contour studies.
    Here are my current works, besides sketches. I am slowly climbing towards finishing my traditional works and i have started two digital paintings for the simple training. The painting of castle was supposed to be traditional, but I've decided to do some mindless studies without references. Same thing with apple, both works are product of my imagination. I am trying to relax while drawing to turn my work more vivid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not dead and, thus, I'm continuing to flood this world with my humble art.
    First picture is the copy of Colin Cooper's Broad Street Canyon New York. I've begun to copy it in July or June, then abandoned. Now i work on it almost every day. I will begin to work on each peace of it individually soon, adding more details. It will take a while, i guess.
    The second work is not complete too, i am working on it in the studio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've studied the memoirs of James Dewey Watson. Strangely, his life seemed quite boring to me, especially in comparison with the life of the another Nobel prize winner- Richard Feynman. I am medical researcher and non practising physician, but Feynman's dedication of almost everything in this world astonishes me. And, unlike Watson, Feynman was very enthusiastic about arts. He was the good bongo player and reasonably good amateur painter (especially considering that he begun his studies of art while being 44 years old). That's why that trickster is my role model, like MindCandyMan.
    I am really enjoying the rereading of the Journey of the Absolute Rookie. It forced me to begin my studies in anatomy. Here are my two very crude and quick drawings from some medical book. Then goes my 3 hours drawing of the naked body. I attend these classes in Thursday and they are a bit tiring for me. In the morning I study Gaelic, then I go to the other part of the city to carry on my research and then go to that atelier. The hardest thing is Gaelic, without any doubts. Though it's pronunciation rules are quite close to my native tongue's, the Celtic grammar is very strange, very distant from both the very conservative grammar of Slavic languages or evolved grammar of English and French speeches. It drives me nuts.
    I have also finished my drawing in my art school and made a very quick painting of the same still life with acrylic paints. I will try to draw more.Name:  sketch1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  322.9 KBName:  sketch3.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  311.8 KBName:  sketch2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  97.3 KBName:  sketch4.png
Views: 83
Size:  560.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

here i come again

I am not dead yet, just busy. Here are my studies of life models. I'm currently attending one good atelier on the other side of my city once per week. I wish i could attent quck drawing too... Anyway,i have posted my awfull drawings in chronological order. Name:  DRAFT1.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  441.5 KBName:  DRAFT2.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  405.4 KBName:  DRAFT3.JPG
Size:  186.5 KBName:  DRAFT4.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  318.6 KBName:  DRAFT5.JPG
Size:  278.4 KB
    The painting is the very rough acrylic base of my future work. This painting is the mix of two famous paintings by Friedrich and Campbell respectivly.
    I MUST DRAW MOAR!!!

Members who have read this thread: 1