Art: So many different mediums!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking So many different mediums!

Hi guys!
    So I got serious about art in December/January. I try going straight into digital, didn't work of course. I then went fully traditional with all my pencils, etc. I now really want to get into painting.

The only problem is there are SOOO many mediums!!!
    Seriously, I have researched oils, acrylics, watercolour, tempera, etc... but I have no idea which one I want to get started in. Watercolour looks easy and fun, but I don't want to miss out on acrylics or oils.

What is good for a beginner trying to learn the basics colour theory, etc...?

P.S Last time I checked I don't appear to be allergic to turpentine/terpenoid (what ever the difference is...)

He said the roots of education were bitter but the fruits sweet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do what you want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FourTonMantis View Post
    do what you want.
    It's just I don't want to be 'missing out' on anything. Like some people say to start out with gouache becuase it is opaque and that it teaches good colour theory, etc...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My opinion:
    watercolors are too hard to control for a beginner
    acrylics dry too fast for a beginner
    oils dry slowly but that is no problem. you can either mix it with a faster drying medium or just wait longer.
    There are alkyd paints which have a drying time between acrylics and oils - imagine these as oils with a fast drying medium.

BUT: took a look at your sketchbook. in my opinoin you should stick longer to drawing. Make your drawings more refined. Learn how to render form by controlling shades.

And then go to colored mediums. Because then you will have the knowledge of how the different values of your mixed paint will make up your subject.

This order of learning steps is well proven by hundreds of years. You just need patience. Many ongoing Artists slip up doing the more complex subject of painting too early without having profound education in drawing - the easier accomplished skill. Drawing trains the eyes. Practising drawing trains percepion to a high degree and sets the foundation for painting - that is working with color. Not until the student has mastered perception of form, he is able to switch to color.

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second Bjoern. Nothing, nothing, nothing, has helped me more than just straight up drawing. Getting form and values down will help soooo so much!! I'm not even super awesome at drawing, but I know that it has helped me so much in almost every other area.

I suggest sticking to that for a while longer before you give in to that eager side that just wants to paint awesome junk.

Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, I guess I should stick to drawing for a bit. I must resist that inner desire to start painting.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by L4xord View Post
    It's just I don't want to be 'missing out' on anything.
    Not married are you?

Oils tend to be the easiest medium for beginning because they are so forgiving and flexible in application. Watercolor tends to be the most difficult because it is transparent and you better know how to compose, draw and understand values - you only get one shot.

Here's the thing though, the medium dosn't matter...it all comes down to a solid undertanding of the fundamentals. Most artists, by the time they've developed some skills have a good handle on half a dozen media....and can easily pick up new media and tools because they understand the fundamentals.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think oils would be easy to start with, but they are very different from watercolour.

Think of oils as the girl next door - she's had a crush on you for years, so it would be easy to start a relationship.
    However, watercolour is that enigmatic girl in your class you have a crush on that you know nothing about and constantly surprises you even when you think you do.

Watercolours are harder than they seem. I picked up watercolours first myself, thinking "Meh, what could be so hard?" and they kicked my ass.

Oils are very forgiving, and mistakes are easily repaired.
    Watercolour is like
    HEY MADE A MISTAKE
    WHY DON'T I BLEED AND MAKE IT WORSE
    OH YOU WANT WATER
    LET ME GIVE YOU COLOUR IN ALL OF THE WATER
    EVERYWHERE
    OH YOU DON'T WANT COLOUR THERE
    LET ME PUT IT THERE
    DIE.
    They're fickly xD

So if i were you i'd start with oils xD

But, as JeffX99 said, if you know the fundamentals, you'll easily sway into things with most mediums

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nodeerskulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I first started I only painted small and as I got to know how to use my medium I advanced to creating larger paintings.
    Also the paints will react differently depending on what your painting on. My first were all on paper and the first canvas I done was awful.
    Anyway good luck when you do start, it can be very rewarding.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll just add that acrylics tend to dry a different value than they are when wet, so once an area is dry if you need to colormatch an area it's a real pain. On the plus side the new golden paints have a longer drying time, and you can do fun watercolor effects without worrying about dry colors muddying up what you lay over them.

Cheers

D'Arcy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would go with oils.
    Water soluble oils would be a little bit of everything but I haven't tested them yet.

I like watercolors for outdoor sketching and preliminary work, because it's fast and easy to transport.
    But i wouldn't try doing accurate detailed work with it.

Don't like acrylics. For portraits you get a chalky look pretty fast (white isn't your friend) + when mixing or working wet in wet, the colors become muddy faster compared to oils.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.