I am new to drawing, any advices?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I am new to drawing, any advices?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am new to drawing, any advices?

Hello!

So as you can see in the thread title, i am new to drawing. For some time now i have been wanting to learn how to draw, but i know nothing about it. I went on and sent many mails to people whos art i found inspiring and asked them where i should start. All of them said that i needed to draw everything i saw, but also practice on the human body.

Because the thing is; I want to learn the comic style kind of drawing. A little like this monster http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221166#. So they told me that comic style is to simplify reality (and add some things too of course).

Now, the problem is not that i dont know where to start, but i am not completely sure why i do what i do. I have been drawing eyes lately, but what afterwards?
    Shall i take one and one piece of the human body and then put it together later?

All help is very much appriciated!

Note: Also, do anyone got any good tutorials and pro tips for me?

Edit:
    If this is the wrong topic, please redirect me to the correct one. This forum is very confusing!

Last edited by Obviously; June 15th, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: I forgot to put something in.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buy yourself a sketchbook and start drawing. Simple objects, like box or sphere, are good for beginning, then you can try something little more complex. You can make a thread in sketchbooks section and post your drawings here to get some feedback. Here you can find book "Fun with pencil", it's pretty good for start too. For more resources explore forum, there are lots of threads like this in "art discussion", you'll find there other useful stuff.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hu-ha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggests buying the book the keys to drawing and actually learn how to draw from life. Just drawing without any direction doesn't get you anywhere cause I did that and my art looked like shit and i felt like I was wasting my time. When I starting reading books and actually taught myself drawing I got way better. I haven't uploaded any of my new stuff onto my sketchbook yet.

When it comes down to cartooning, you should read some books on anatomy and figure drawing. Then copy some of the art of artist that inspire you so you can develop your own style.

I hope I was any help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boulsoup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I began teaching myself to draw when I was about 24, three or so years ago now. I found it tough to get into at first but in time, a few months into it, I began feeling like I had a basic grasp on things. It really is surprising how quickly you can reach a good/competent level.

I've been meaning to write down my thoughts on my learning experience while I can still remember them, and the misconceptions I had prior to taking up drawing, but I haven't done this yet. Thinking about it just now, to me, it comes down to this:

1) Hand-eye co-ordination.
    This is basically where you see a line or a curve, etc, and you try to draw it on paper. When you first begin to draw your hand-eye co-ordination will be extremely poor, you'll struggle to put down even the simplest of lines. However, keep drawing regularly and you'll naturally find yourself greatly improving. You don't even have to put in any conscious effort - just pick up a pencil and draw on a regular basis and you absolutely will improve to well beyond where you began. If you're drawing each day, you'll be largely past it within a month.

A lot of people I think give up because they mistake poor hand-eye co-ordination as a sign that they lack 'talent' or 'ability.' Or they think to get over this awkward feeling will take a lot of time or at the very least a lot of learning but it really doesn't - if you just keep picking up a pencil it'll naturally fall away within a very short time. And once you get past that, it's a real hurdle you've overcome. Everything will feel a lot easier when you get to that point.

2) Draw lightly until you're happy.
    When you first begin drawing, you're probably going to put down every single line like it's final. If you're like me, in the beginning it's a real struggle to do otherwise. But if you can: draw lightly until you're happy with what you're seeing and then go over it with a darker line.

3) Understanding of how proportion is achieved.
    One might work out where the ears are based on where the eyes are and one might use the height of the entire head to work out both the height of a person and the width of their shoulders. Or they might draw Mickey Mouse and use the width of his head to determine the length of his feet.

Read about proportion, most how-to books cover it. The concepts involved are very simple but essential to good drawing. In the beginning you'll be using a ruler, it'll seem a little strange, but eventually a day comes where all of this you can do by sight and within an instant.

4) Draw every day.
    You don't have to sit down for hour every day, you can doodle for just five minutes on a scrap of paper if that's all you feel like, but try to pick up a pencil and draw at least once every day.

You make the commitment to draw every day and you will absolutely improve in ability. Not only that though, making that commitment to draw each day will eliminate thoughts like "I'll draw on Tuesday, when things are better." It will also ensure that any thoughts you have on drawing, and solving problems, will be addressed very quickly. You wont be walking around for a week thinking, 'If I just do ____, that'll solve the problem I was having.' You'll try out that thing that day or the next day, and if it doesn't work you'll move on to new thoughts. And if it solves it, it solves it - then you start thinking some more.

And that is all! That to me (at least as I think about right now) is all you really need to know and do when you begin. After you feel you've got past these hurdles (or at least the first), pick up a decent how-to book - or many - and read them. Learn, have fun, etc.

In the beginning, too, in order to learn hand-eye co-ordination and these other points, in my opinion you should do nothing but copy for the first month or so. Forget about trying to work out how to describe in line the glass of milk you see on the table, or the flower outside, and just find some books with simple/clear lines and make copies of them.

By making copies you'll understand what goes into drawing, that it's often not as complicated as it at first might look. You'll also learn these fundamental skills, and gain confidence in yourself, without the worry of what to draw and how to draw it. To me, to draw from life and be satisfied with the result, and motivated to continue, requires something that comes a little later.

Also, experiment with tools, buy watercolour paints, different pencils, try it all. Do that at any time. It livens things up a little.

EDIT: I forgot that when I first began I started a DeviantArt account. I set myself the goal of making at least one image each day and uploading it to my account. For some reason that motivated me. It made it like I was building something, and I had a record that showed I was really drawing each day. Having something like that (a sketchbook on here is another example of that sort of thing), so you're not just drawing for yourself and putting it away, really helped a lot now that I think back on that. It kept me motivated in those early months.

Last edited by Grosby; June 16th, 2012 at 05:02 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grosby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very, very much guys!

You have no idea how much this means to me, and how motivating and inspiring the comments are. I will sit down now and draw those simple objects and practice until i get them right! I've also got the hold on Keys to Drawing too, and it looks really good. Maybe i'll make a sketchbook, but i am so emberrased over my work. We'll see though.

Once again, thank you so much for these tips!

Last edited by Obviously; June 16th, 2012 at 07:56 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 1