CROSSOVER- E.O.W. Round #190/IDW Round #206 - Orbital Refinery - (Winner: Bnoch)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: CROSSOVER- E.O.W. Round #190/ I.D.W. Round #206- Orbital Refinery VOTING

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Silentbrain

7 15.56%
  • Grievous 666

0 0%
  • Tea of Doom

5 11.11%
  • marko markovic

5 11.11%
  • gunsbins

13 28.89%
  • Pixeltuner

4 8.89%
  • Adevila

2 4.44%
  • Dayle

0 0%
  • Incinerated

2 4.44%
  • Urotskidoji

4 8.89%
  • Bnoch

24 53.33%
  • Corrick

9 20.00%
  • bara

17 37.78%
  • Snafu

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: CROSSOVER- E.O.W. Round #190/IDW Round #206 - Orbital Refinery - (Winner: Bnoch)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CROSSOVER- E.O.W. Round #190/IDW Round #206 - Orbital Refinery - (Winner: Bnoch)

CROSSOVER- E.O.W Round #190 / I.D.W. Round #206

TOPIC = Orbital Refinery

This week we are having a weekly crossover with Industrial Design of the Week! Both weeklies have the same topic, however the approach will be different. Because of this, taking a visit to both threads will be sure to provide inspiration.

I.D.W. Thread

Brief:

The basic concept: There is a materials refinery which is orbiting a planet as it sources its material. What planet and what material being processed is completely open.

E.O.W.
    Inside or outside view is up to you.

I.D.W.
    Design the refinery.

DEADLINE: June 13, 2012

ENTRIES:

Silentbrain

Personally it took me a while to stop thinking about the Ishimura from Dead Space or something.
    I guess this is more along the lines of Homeworld, where there's a mothership and the refinery ship docks inside of it when idle.

Grievous 666

Tea of Doom

marko markovic

gunsbins

Pixeltuner

Adevila (not final but still up for poll)

Dayle

Incinerated

Urotskidoji

Bnoch

"Maximum Velocity Terminal Overdrive 3: Situosity"

Lindsay Lohan is Capt. Regina Slapwaters commanding the refinery vessel BOTOX.

Coming, Fall 2013.

Engage... or be Engaged.

Corrick

Flare those lenses...

bara

"That's no moon...
    ...that's a picture of a space station!"

Snafu

Vote for your favorite entries.

Website

Facebook

DeviantArt

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Silentbrain - That is a sick entry. I really liked how the overview shows you everything and the space shadowing is on point as can be. Tons of detail that are pleasing to the eyes as well, with dozens of individual industrial designs in and of itself populating the environment.

Grievous 666 - Nice work, vivid palate. An approach that didn't put me on the edge of my seat but contained a pleasant simplicity.

Tea of Doom - I like this perspective a lot. Strong, strong decision to have this view because it shows the materials in space and the entire aerial view of the refinery with the colorful intensity of the solar panels paired with the power source, the planet flanking behind it, and the light in the distance.

marko markovic - Perfect topic for you, I thought. Your ability to craft gritty, sooty space station complexes with the mood of a dark city environment was effective here. You made some interesting and unique choices in terms of surfaces, aircraft and the placement of structure. It's like an old Halo level paired with a futuristic refinery floating over Los Angeles. Reminds me that MatejaPektovic would have done extremely well with this topic.

gunsbins - Almost like a bigger version of the Nautilus engine room. A little bit of steampunk and 1980's industrial comic strip. Thorough, sustainable design. I thought this was excellently done all across the board.

Pixeltuner - This is less defined than I would like to see but the essence of the idea is quality. The color scheme was exotically presented yet balanced, just wish I could see more of the refinery than a restrictive close up.

Adevila - Stellar, I wasn't sure if this was final or not but still thought it should be up in the poll. I liked how real world the refinery seemed, like it was made from materials we have available today and not a down-the-road technological texture.

Dayle - British Petroleum Synergies Division, hahah. Just checked out your IDW entry, great concept and execution. This one was somewhat muddled, probably attributed to how rough the atmosphere is on that exoplanet. The "head" of the ship, if you will, reminds me of the Mr. Crab's daughter from Spongebob, the whale. Her head reminds me of the front of the Tartarus at first glances. Nice job Dayle!

Incinerated - Interesting view you committed to: the walk-in point where a small room can be seen with boilers and cylindrical containers. What do they contain? This allows for creative storytelling; the question is, does it tell a story on it's own to make it memorable?

Urotskidoji - That sounds like it's be loud or at least thunderous in vibration. Good sensory movement and noise conjuring, I feel like the event taking place is really making it's presence known and makes the world concrete.

Bnoch - Lovely, Botox actually sounds like the name of a space vessel. All around this was a tight entry with lots of visual candy.

Corrick - Damn Corrick, how do you it time & time again? To create crisp, cutting edge visual presentations on a consistent basis is a gift you continue to improve upon week after week when you get topics like this.

bara - Essentially a joy to look at, the blue of the planet complements the light-white sand crust of the smooth space station exterior. Believable and very impressive.

Snafu - Watercolor sci fi, confetti dimensional anagram, commercialized port program are some strings of words that come to mind when I look at this. The backround is a little bit blurry like you were freestyling in a stream-of-consciousness direction. The refinery and the free spirited compositional control grid make this a cool painting.

My votes went to: Silentbrain, Tea of Doom, marko markovic, gunsbins, Bnoch, Corrick, and bara.

Great week guys!

Website

Facebook

DeviantArt

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work all round but my Favs are from gunsbins, Bnock, Corrick and bara

Thanks
    Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bara for me

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Members who have read this thread: 8