C.O.W. #264. Mirrodin Tangle Stalker - WIPs Thread - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: C.O.W. #264. Mirrodin Tangle Stalker - WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this what i got so far iffy on t he colors
    @tchuk
    love scene u set up the colors the stalker love cant wait to see it fully rendered
    @edward b
    amazing start not much for me to say
    @the Electric Ant
    nice start only thing i could say is to me it just looks like a regular forest not a jungle all i could really put to say is make the background denser like more inter connecting trees and like hanging vines but idk
    @jornum
    love the skecthes
    all i can say is it appears all the legs are on the ground yet the forward backleg is is lifted off the ground and appears to be shorter then the back

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penciltipred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    C.O.W. #264. Mirrodin Tangle Stalker - WIPs Thread

I must admit I've really not delved into rendering like this before, but I have spare time left until the deadline so it'll be good to practice. I guess I just have to ask everyone if they think it's going alright so far. I honestly have no idea

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tchuk: Your rendering skills are awesome. I think the values of your piece made more sense back when it was orangey red, especially on the soldier. He's almost too lit up, or needs some green reflecting off his back or something. Right now he's kind of lost in the creature's faces.

Sketched this out just now. I think maybe, I kinda sorta might be getting the hang of this digital stuff. It's pretty sloppy right now but I might still tweak the design.

Last edited by Buhardilla; June 18th, 2012 at 05:47 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Buhardilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The most recent progress with my design...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW so many epic entries already makes me regret not having
    a more dynamic pose or story.
    so this what i got took my inital idea redrew it and just started painting it for fun, not really caring about the star or votes i see this as a great
    rendering exercise - what i suck at.
    the mechanical part will be them wings.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys!
    Great creatures everyone, the topic is really getting them ideas flowing!
    I haven't tried my hand in creature design before, so please bear(bare? both sound really wrong! ) with me.

So this is my stalker, insect like bio-mech "tree" dweller, feeding on unsuspecting elves and smaller game. It blends with its surroundings and waits for careless pray to come near by, then it jumps and attacks with it's massive claws. Well it isn't the most original thing on earth (frogroach?!) but since I'm just testing the waters still, i decided to go with some familiar creatures first.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll do a full render of the thing, in all its glory, in it;s natural habitat.
    Comments and critiques are most welcome, any kind of pointers would be helpful!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to v0rbiss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @Tchuk - Looks pretty good so far. The big problem I see (which Buhardilla already kinda mentioned) is that the human is too close to the creature. The way he's receiving that purple light means he is VERY close to the creature. As in he could be kissing the middle head (ew). I would move him to the right a bit and maybe down a little. Or just shrink him a bunch. And he should just have a little pink rim light—it can't be hitting his back unless one of the light sources is closer to the viewer than he is.

Clean up your edges, paint over the linework, throw in a few details, and you should be good to go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some peaple said they dident understand my creature so i made this im my spare time
    there are such amazing artists here but im doing this for fun and this is my first cow

uh well i cant upload it can some one help went i click upload in manage attachment it says upload failed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tons still to do still trying to make those wings more mechanical,
    even considered dropping some chains over them. . . .

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Vorbis: That's usually what I'm thinking about when I get caught off-guard too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AdrianNagorski: It's interesting how it's not a particularly dynamic pose, yet looks pretty rad pasted onto the card.

v0rbiss: I like the part of the carapace on the thorax. Don't know why, but for some reason it's awesome. Can't wait to see it rendered.

Here is my renderfail, ha ha. The colors came out completely wrong and it's like bleah, but I wanted to put up something since I worked on it.

If anybody has any suggestions or tips, that would be awesome because I'm totally a newb at the digital stuff. It's being done in photoshop and I was trying to use overlays. I think I may have over blended everything into mud.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Buhardilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry it's taken a while to update, just been setting up my new mac and it's taken an entire day to get the thing sorted. So beautiful though :3

anyway I've taken your advice, I've toned down the characters lighting, painted over the line art some more and added some detail to the background as well as some value work.

Thanks Corlan anyway was good advice. The middle head is supposed to be particularly close to the character though. I didn't want to design a creature that follows someone, but more like an upfront stalker who gets up in your personal space

Anything else I should look into?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mirrodin Tangle Stalker

Don't know much about the Magic Universe but I tried to keep to the lore. Hopefully I can finish this up by the deadline.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to airrunkle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope my english is good enough to say, what I want Hope, you can understand me... Didn't use english enough...since I quit education and changed to Switzerland...

Wanted to draw for Mirodin, too..but I'm not the big Mirodin fan (like other planes much more) and the time was killing me..so I think, I'll try the next COW

@ Buhardilla:

Before going into color, it's maybe better to create first the form of the creature better and todefine a lightsource.
    I often do these in greyscale, without color, cause color iritates my eyes often. I can concentrate on the form of all bodyparts of the creature (or character) better, when I only have Black and white and the grey tones between them.

Try to refine your fast sketch and color later. Try to define light and shadoow (form and cast) and after this, give the creature color.

At the moment, I dont see a lightsource (when I look at the foot, I guess your light should come from the upper left corner?). Think about it.

And the perspective of the head is a little bit damaged.

You are at a good start, dont give up

@Hunter:

Getting critique doesn't mean, that you sholud not draw or something else.. No.. Everyone here is (I think so) proud of getting critique, because without you cant see your mistakes or you cant see, what others think abour your work. Every artist started with drawing and painting in spare time. Without training every single minute, they have and getting a lot of critiques, they wont be great artists now.

Just look at your creature und think about, what said earlier. Try to do sketches of living creatures and learn from them. Thats the way to improve your work. It doesn't matter how much sparetime you have, just try to use it for training your artskills and getting better. Also create a sketchbook at conceptart and try to get critique on every sketch, you've done and try to do this, what others tell you. You can see a lot of works in this thread and a lot of questions, how to improve every single piece. And there are others, who are telling the artists, whats going wrong (in their opinion) and what should work better. And the artist tries to correct these things.

You can also learn from their steps a lot, how they sketch, how they work with colors or brushes and so on.
    Thats why I love conceptart so much Critique & WIPs of other artists is such a great source for improvement.

@Tchuk:

The light on the back irritates me a lot, cause the third heads angle is a little bit strange. Looks like its coming from the site, but the light on the back will say to me: heay, the head is a little bit more behind the character not directly at his site... (my feeling about the light)
    I guss a little bit more deatails would be fine too. For me its looking very sketchy. Need a few hard lines? But in size of a magic card image, it's looking cool so far.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it was no big deal to do another i had fun doing it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tchuk, there are some things that are not helping to understand or even see the creature...
    -the human covering the creature (why to put anything in front of the main thing?)
    -Same values and colors for both the creatures and the guy are merging them together.
    -The light isn't consistent since the source of purple light comes from the creature, so the back of the guy should be pretty much in shadows.
    -The composition is unbalanced, in the left half of the image you have nothing important to show...all the weight is in the right side.
    edit: to delete so much stuff.

Last edited by elephant´s stroke; June 19th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
    "Nature has the coolest patterns because there is chaos but then, it's also controled" Feng Zhu, design cinema, episode 35

Web
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @penciltipred thanks! you was totally right, my forest didn't look like a jungle at all.. but I've added some stuff in background and I hope it looks better now

Nice works everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ethion: Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all that. I went back and worked on the values and refining it some more. Hopefully it'll be ready to color soon.

Electric Ant: Ha ha, I love that little pig dude getting stalked.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey folks, I'm going to be working until midnight tomorrow, again, so I'm going to give you guys a 3 hour extension. This means the due date is actually Wednesay the 20th at 10:00pm PST (GMT -8 ).

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant´s stroke View Post
    @Tchuk, there are some things that are not helping to understand or even see the creature...
    -the human covering the creature (why to put anything in front of the main thing?)
    -Same values and colors for both the creatures and the guy are merging them together.
    -The light isn't consistent since the source of purple light comes from the creature, so the back of the guy should be pretty much in shadows.
    -The composition is unbalanced, in the left half of the image you have nothing important to show...all the weight is in the right side.
    edit: to delete so much stuff.
    Well the idea was for the stalker to be more in the way of not leaving someone alone and getting in their personal space, not necessarily a stealthy predator. The point of the human being in front (and not by much I might add) was to portray this idea. I've changed the lighting again to accommodate the idea that the left hand side head is more to the mans side, as well as trying to add some depth to its neck.
    I've also tried adjusting the values somewhat, but you're right about the composition I won't deny that. It just spiraled a bit from what I had originally planned. I think I might be done with it now though, any changes I make seem to not really improve anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So that's what came out of the rendering, the stalker is...stalking, high above the ground level...kinda dull, so I tried to make the perspective interesting. I hope the next one comes out better!
    Btw I'm not sure if the image is oversized on better monitors, if it isn't ok I'll replace it with better dimensioned one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished!... sorry i dont write more, but between work and everything else is hard as it is, just to finish this... none the less the nice entries everyone
    Critiques are welcome and helpful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gosh darnit! I need to stop by C.O.W. more often, just saw this. I love MTG, I might just do this for fun and post it in wips section a bit late I guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McClain View Post
    Gosh darnit! I need to stop by C.O.W. more often, just saw this. I love MTG, I might just do this for fun and post it in wips section a bit late I guess
    Do it

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's still about half an hour before I set up the poll, in case any of you guys want to sneak an entry in, quickly.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1