Cool toys
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cool toys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool toys

Hopefully I didn't miss a thread on this but searches came up blank.

Wondering if anyone owns any cool toys they like to draw from? Post you favourites here. I am looking to grab a few so I can make life drawing objects on my a bit more fun.

You might like them because of their poseability or accurate reproduction or general coolness.

What cool shit have you guys got?

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    Hopefully I didn't miss a thread on this but searches came up blank.

Wondering if anyone owns any cool toys they like to draw from? Post you favourites here. I am looking to grab a few so I can make life drawing objects on my a bit more fun.

You might like them because of their poseability or accurate reproduction or general coolness.

What cool shit have you guys got?
    People, preferably alive; I usually don't grab them, at least not for purposes of drawing...

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tons. But I only use the "drawing models' as a cover and tax write off. There's a few I've used for drawing though. Actually I take that back...I use them more than I realize. A series of Iron Man's was great - I think they were from the 90s. The Gragoyles line was nice...and I loved the Resue Heroes line. Macfarlane's Dragons are great ref.

I'll also sculpt my own maquettes for some things...either in plasticine or in sculpey.

As far as the simple shapes like Alice is talking about go to thrift stores/Salvation Army and go through the toddler toys. Great stuff in there.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Macfarlane's Dragons are great ref.
    Just typed in Macfarlane toys on amazon ... awesome figurines!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if i approve of drawing anything that exists already by someone else's design, sure life-drawing is always grand practice and i'm not going to put that down, however in the case of figurines this is another area, fan-art is limiting you enough, but recreating an exact design in an exact pose what are you really proving for yourself?

i have a pose-able artist's mannequin and that's enough you need

Aspiring Digital Fantasy Artist
    DEVIANTART BLOGSPOT TUMBLR

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamhat View Post
    but recreating an exact design in an exact pose what are you really proving for yourself?
    Well, nobody said you'd have to always draw the same design as the toy has and obviously you can pose the toys (in case of action figures) by yourself. Much like when I photo myself as a ref, obviously I'm not going to draw myself, I'll be using the photo of me as a basis to whatever I'll be drawing in the pose/lighting/angle, take what I need from the photo and do rest of the work myself. Also little action figurines can be used to form little scenes and stuff like the McFarlane dragons give lots of textures, interesting poses, wing foreshortening etc etc to draw and study.
    And I don't really get your "proving" part of the argument. Why would drawing something as it is be "proving" something to yourself, whether you're drawing a fruit, human or a toy? I mean if I'm drawing a fruit from life, I'm not generally putting much in the design of the fruit, I'm there to draw the fruit and study it.

I myself use Schleich animal figures: http://www.schleich-s.com/
    I own at least couple horses since it's really had to sometimes find good photos of horses in some angles.

Last edited by TinyBird; June 15th, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Typos
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the Gunpla I have lying around are pretty fun to scribble (and build!). I really can't decide on just one but 1/144 Psycho Gundam is my current favorite. It's huge.

Also posting some nice toy photos that aren't mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if i approve of drawing anything that exists already by someone else's design, sure life-drawing is always grand practice and i'm not going to put that down, however in the case of figurines this is another area, fan-art is limiting you enough, but recreating an exact design in an exact pose what are you really proving for yourself?

I am not sure you got the purpose of this thread (besides wanting to see all the awesome toys you artists have!!) Its just a learning tool! You know there is only so many times I can draw my computer mouse and wacom pen holder before I want to stab myself in the eye!! There is no reason it cant be a bit more fun (and conducive to breaking down construction for organic objects).

Also I want some cool toys dude!

Im all excited to go to the toy store tomorrow!

Thanks for the suggestions so far the Schleich animals are great!!

Last edited by Whirly; June 15th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
    My Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Some people like to draw things that, are...well fun. I'd rather someone have fun life studies than go "fuckin apple" As long as that's not the only thing they draw, more power to them.

I hope you don't have those terrible wooden mannikins

Also: Ghost Rider is a Ginger on a Vespa!

Last edited by Arshes Nei; June 15th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have a similar mannikin from Ikea and I had buyer's remorse like 10 minutes after purchase.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its weird because the 'look' of the mannaquin is exactly what I want to get rid of in my drawings .. no gesture or weight or flow or anything that makes figures look cool.

Arshes hit nail on the head, drawing objects from life as a learning tool doesn't have to be boring! Sometimes I can draw spoons but sometimes I want draw a Dinosaur and as Jeff is always saying doing it from life, from 3D, is so massively helpful.

Just adds to the list of fun things you can do .. and also an excuse to buy cool toys!

My Sketchbook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Funny you say this...I remember sometime ago there was a thread here on CA that was dedicated to your friendly neighbourhood spiderman. About using him as a reference for getting the poses for your illustrations. However I cannot find the thread through a search. There was a big call for these to be produced in a more artistic friendly form. They have a serious amount of points of articulation. Even the fingers....The muscles are defined, albeit to an extreme. But I do think this would be an exceptional reference over a wooden mannequin...

...Just my opinion....

Attached Images Attached Images  

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Damien Levs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the thread you're looking for.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=156504

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Here's the thread you're looking for.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=156504
    That's one Arshes, Thank you

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yep...a bunch of us all rushed out and got that same Spidey...I think it had 18 points of articulation? Spray him light gray primer and voila! Funny though...I've never used him for drawing. But like I said...that's my excuse for a shop full of toys!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good thing you don't have to approve of what other people do with their time.

Look, part of this came out of another thread - the OP was struggling with drawing cartoon/simplified figures 3 dimensionally. Why NOT use a toy that actually exists in 3 dimensions? It's just more kinds of observational drawings. The problem with 'how to draw' cartoon books, even Preston Blair's (which is a wonderful book), is that the examples are already 2D simply by being on paper; so the unintended consequence is that individuals may simply copy the marks without understanding them. Solution? draw something that exists in actual space! (In the case of cartoons as mentioned in the other threads, learning to draw 'on model' from someone else's design can actually be a good thing; the trick is to still learn how to draw, vs. learning how to draw only that design.)

It's also not about proving anything, it's about learning, and I'm all for any tool which can help an individual reach that goal. There's also nothing wrong with fan-art. I mean seriously, who cares? People like to do things they enjoy. Don't confuse that with studying; nor does being serious about studying anatomy/observational drawing/blah blah mean excluding all things fun. Sometimes having that 'fun' thing means people are more willing to put the time into doing maybe not-fun studying. (I love drawing, but there are some days where it just feels like I'm grinding through pencil mileage)

As for the artist's mannikin (if it's the one that Arshes pointed out) that is pretty awful for posing/reference. However I had an instructor who managed to sneakily use it to teach us construction/drawing through He was very up-front about the limitations, though.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine isn't so cool, but I did like this one for study too. I like the build, just don't like the splotchy blue and reds, but I found that can be a cool thing to study too.

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resou.../dp/B0012OELRG

Gave my friend some raptor claws and a Spinosaurus kinda handy when he had some Dino related art cards to work on

Last edited by Arshes Nei; June 15th, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I went to the toy shop. Stumbled on the Schleich section! Thought "Oh Cool that's the brand TinyBird mentioned!"

Then: Hey this is cool, this is awesome , wow I like this, well maybe I should grab this one too .. oh wow that hippo rocks .. ooooh a dragon aaaaand

I think I went over the top! hehe

My Sketchbook

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    So I went to the toy shop. Stumbled on the Schleich section! Thought "Oh Cool that's the brand TinyBird mentioned!"
    Also what I did to my toys was to paint them half white. That way I can use the white side to see the form more clearly, but still observe the colours in different lights too if needed.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Careful not to use them as gospel. I know the horses are off for the most part for sure.

They have these that may be a better ref for you for humans:
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/ar...omical-models/

They are still a little off but at least they show muscles and are better than the IKEA ones. Haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone familiar with Toy2r's qee figures? I have a couple of the 2.5 in. ones but haven't painted them yet.

Name:  diy-qee-bdb01.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  56.5 KB

I've also got a Raffy from Kidrobot's Munny series.

Name:  dunny-charaters.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  24.8 KB

Son, if you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet they're about to announce the lottery numbers.

Screaming Lamb

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never understood the appeal of those things. But then again, I don't paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I never understood the appeal of those things. But then again, I don't paint.
    I'm not quite sure why I like them either. For some reason the blankness just really appeals to me. I like blank books and empty boxes too.

Son, if you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet they're about to announce the lottery numbers.

Screaming Lamb

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like old-fashioned toys, like wooden trains and stuff like that. They are difficult to come by nowadays, and when you do see them, they tend to be pretty expensive. Great fun to draw this sort of thing though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just bought a John Deere tractor and a cow figure for the comic I'm working on. Not exact but similar to these.

Done a couple doodles so far.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool tractor studies manlybrian. Hopefully this thread will keep going I wanna see more artists using their toys!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man, Schleich toys are expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayvin View Post
    Careful not to use them as gospel. I know the horses are off for the most part for sure.
    Dinos too. I can understand the bit about having a 3D reference for form and light etc. but dewd.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    Dinos too. I can understand the bit about having a 3D reference for form and light etc. but dewd.
    Like I mentioned in the Crit thread, that's nothing. Seriously I gotta take a picture...
    Here we go. By the way I was wrong, this isn't a deinonychus, it's a velociraptor (one of the cheapest ones, our store didn't have any of those new ones).
    Name:  derpasaurus.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  86.0 KB
    It's the tail that's the extra bit of "are you kidding me?" that really does it to me, but I also really like the shape of the head, which is why I bought this.
    So personally I suggest just going to the shop and choosing what visually seems most pleasant or right, since some of the animals (for example the horses) can vary pretty wildly in anatomy and detail.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was drawing a lot from neca's iggy pop figure. i really dug its anatomy. i hit it with gray primer and altetered the arms so i can slide them off and on to get better views of the torso and also altered the head so that he is bald.

i also have some shiflett brothers models and stuff in various degrees of construction...i like the extreme body builder anatomy they do.

i was kind of hoping we'd get some awesome hulk figures from the avengers movie that i'd be able to draw from but, so far everything has been kind of suckful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2