Sketchbook: Streamjunkie SB

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Streamjunkie SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Streamjunkie SB

Hello everyone!
    This is my first post to CA and I hope we can get along.
    Let's start with some info on me.

I'm 24 year old IT student very much leaning towards game development and such, but I have noticed that while programming is okay I have no real drive to better myself at it on my own time. Which is something I feel that I personally really need in order to truly enjoy what I'm doing.
    I never got into drawing much when growing up. Mostly simply because I was bad and thus it was not fun not being able to get your thought on the paper properly and so on.

However, lately thanks to stuff like FZD videos I have come to realise that drawing much like other things in life is a skill that one can get good at by investing time to properly study it.
    So I have reached the point where I pretty much decided I would regret it if I didn't give a shot at it and try to get into designing stuff (mostly games and consept art in general).
    I have no previous experience and I started quite literally few months ago so the stuff I do now is really not that great. I also feel that I am starting quite late and don't really have time to take things as slow as I would like to.
    I started by looking at anatomy and figure drawing but also jumping between topics.
    Because I do not have much experience yet it's easy to see many things I need to get better at but I do appreciate any comments you might have for me considering the things I post and / or general tips for learning.
    Please, be brutally honest with your comments
    My plan is to update this thread daily.
    That being said I have noticed a problem with my self studying that I watch way too many streams and play way too much games compared to time spend drawing or studying, please curse me if you notice me skipping on updates, there will be no excuses for that!

Here's some random pages of my sketchbook, just to get some content on the first post.
    And some figures I did watching free drawing tutorials online video
    Lot of my learning involves various great stream tutorials and I plan on linking the tutorials whenever I draw something based on them, assuming that is a ok thing to do?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by NotForAll; June 13th, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
    Destruction is about otherworldy awesome made of consentrated cool.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allright! So I managed to mess up the "daily" thing right away. Blaming stupid sleeping habits and not daring to scan stuff in the night because it's loud as hell.
    I edited the first post little to make it more bearable, also playing around with wacom (got new screen set up for it) but it's damn hard and I doubt I dare posting any scripples from that (haha, silly seeing what I post now) for a while.

Anyway, I started by trying to do one of those mini figures from my imagination and it didn't turn out that great. There is great deal of messed up anatomy but what I'm mostly concerned with right now is that I seem to make the torso way too long.

After that I went and tried to warm up by doing some gesture stuff from Clocksketch videos. Definitely was not comfortable with 2.5min poses which made me do more of a figure things than gestures. I also tried to do each with different approach and some of them runed out just silly
    After that I decided I needed to do something anatomy related so I copied one of FZD skeleton drawings and noticed that I make the ribcase too tight even when drawing from example.

Last I did some demon human kinda guy just scrippling away. Once again I made the torso way too long and tried to kind of fix it by drawing whole thing again on top of the scripple. Still turned out kinda wrong.

Next I plan on starting to go through Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis. Hopefully I learn some more basics on anatomy or learn to apply them.

What do you guys think about doing random imagination stuff. For example I am tempted to draw somekind of monsters and stuff but on the other hand I feel I should try and focus on actually doing proper anatomy before playing around with it. Do you think it's more important to stick with proper learning more so than mix proper study and well.. plain silly fun?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I got started with Figure drawing by Andrew Loomis and for some reason I feel the way he makes figures is easier to do than the more bulkier styles I've tried so far.
    The book was also really easy to get into and I'm left feeling I did not get enough of it down while following some DreamHack streams on the side

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update once again. I really need to get my shit together and get something done
    I took another quick look at the Loomis stuff and managed to get atleast something down. Hopefully I'll get bit more tomorrow. Also feeling I need bigger sketchbook. It get's awfully small when I try to fit more than one thing on a page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to caught a fever today. Realised just before going to bed that I had not update anything.

Did some small landscape things with TERA artbook stuff as referense.
    This was surpricingly fun and I might try to continue these with photoshop at some point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to properly miss update yesterday, not happy about that
    Today I went thought few things based on FZD episode 19 and it actually seemed really good. Sertainly helped me to direct my thought process when working on things. The stuff done with wacom actually took really long time since I am having hard time controlling it and had to kind of re-do stuff constantly. Hopefully I get more used to it within few weeks.

I plan on doing stuff daily with that FZD episode in mind, continuing to make things with values and 3D in mind. I might have to go with grey values stuff, I have not touched on any color theory properly yet and was having kind of hard time with it on the value study thing.
    Have to continue on the Loomis thing some day too. Man I'm all over the place, need to stick with something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, you are off too a good start but what you need to work on is recording values not just lines.

For example the Diablo looking skull, you notice how you gave it form using lines (also good job on trying to record perspective but that might be a bit too advanced for you at this moment).

Example: http://painting-course.com/wp-conten...rawing-med.jpg

notice how the lines are not visible; just the use of tones.
    For your next drawings, I challenge you to adopt and apply this idea. Just shade, do not record any lines right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply! It totally made me jump last night
    To further your point. Would you advice me to take closer look into values in general or simply draw everything using value rather than linework and continue doing whatever I was trying to do so far (anatomy etc.) ?

Here's somekind of warm-up update. Will probably try to do some metal value study on photoshop and look into anatomy stuff again, but this time taking my time to form things out with values.

EDIT: any advice on making the pencil stuff appear better after scans? It's always way brighter on screen than on paper and I'm not sure how to best fix it without overdoing it.
    EDIT2: I slapped on lazy auto-tone on PS and I think it's bit better version tbh. What do you think?

Last edited by NotForAll; June 21st, 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allright, tried to use bit darker tones this time, came out bit too sharp and I should really spread the values out a bit.

Used one of the great images at http://www.inspirationalartworks.blo...my-images.html for reference. Sort of pieced it up muscle by muscle from the shoulder and I feel I really need to first block in the whole thing lightly and then go back adding the darker values.
    Piecing it together, I had some problems getting everything fit as it was in the reference.

EDIT: Added last one for tonight. This one took ages since I'm having hard time hitting lines with tablet ;/ I tried to keep it all freehand but did end up using bit shift-lines on the speculars and such.

Last edited by NotForAll; June 21st, 2012 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another day when I feel I really did not get enough done.
    I need to figure out something, maybe focus hard on one very narrow subject and just crank it in for whole day nonstop.

On the pics; first one started as warmup on my coffee cup that has inherited dark value. Along the way I felt it was going horribly wrong (with some dark shadow / reflections on the surface) so I decided to just try to salvage it somehow making it something else entierly out of my mind. Not sure if I'm any happy with the highlights I tried to reason out, they look odd.
    Other one I did while once again watching some dota streams, apparently my horrible timesink at the moment. It was slow process and I noticed I for one make the nose way too long and then maybe related to that, also place features too high on the face.
    Definitely need to work on facial features a lot more, not sure if it would be better to go about it in simpler forms or continue try to mimic more realistic pictures. Right now I feel focusing just on doing more skulls with some variety in angles etc. could be good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I started with some gestures from ClockSketch and tried to render one of them out with values. I had the picture up as reference but I tried to still follow the gesture rather than just copy the image, noticed I make hands bit too long and such. Also the anatomy on the torso is just messed up and I clearly did not pay attention to it enough. Hopefully I'll actually learn from these mistakes >_>
    Also having huge problem making the values way too dark at the moment, pretty noticable when there are stuff like dark clothes involved. Will try to pay attention to that with the skulls I'll be looking into today.

EDIT:
    Updated the skulls in. First few were somewhat fast done just trying to figure out forms and what was where etc.
    Then last one was slowly done trying to use what I figured out with the first few to avoid mistakes. I think it came out nicely.
    Same reference image for all of them, now I need to go and look at some different angles and probably do more of those quick ones because I felt that they taught me things even if they look kinda nasty.

Last edited by NotForAll; June 23rd, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have this awkward feeling that I am just copying too much atm, especially with that last skull I posted. So, this time I tried to sort of go on my own pace and just consult reference now and then. The first skull is just kind of me wanting to see what I got from yesterday and it turned horrid, more learning to be done for sure.

EDIT: Added another skull with reference and a skeleton I tried to do somewhat quickly to see what I mess up bad. One think that really stuck to me was that I need to take a overall look from now and then, I was clearly way too focused on one part at a time and they don't lineup well together as a figure.

Last edited by NotForAll; June 24th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back with Loomis and figures for a while. Most likely some more skulls and trying to apply the Loomis' way of making figures to some gestures.
    EDIT: Some more skulls, this time without reference. Still kind of lost when it comes to the chinbone.
    EDIT2: Managed to get another one done for tonight. A value study on metal skull thingy.

The thread is starting to feel kind of heavy. Do people usually just delete older content or should I just do a mashup of the earlier pics into one reasonably sized picture?

Last edited by NotForAll; June 25th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Loomis stuff. Slow progress but I try to learn from it at my own pace rather than skip anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I tried to just draw human figure on tablet from memory. Kind of working on getting more used to digital as well as going over most of anatomy to see what kind of things I should look into next.

Really need to fix values and there are some anatomy mistakes, some more obvious than others. I am most likely goign to try fix this up a bit tomorrow with references.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start in here! I'm more or less in the same boat; I tried to get on the ball almost a year ago but I lapsed like a lazy dog. Stick with it!

MY SKETCHBOOK OF CRAPTASTIC CIRCLES
    ----------------------------------------------
    "Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    betty edward's drawing on the right side of the brain will help you a lot too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkRw...yer_detailpage

I was about where you are at now in progress and it help me pull a lot of what I learned from loomis and bridgeman together. It's a really good resource.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @TheMumm
    Thanks! I'll try my best

Quote Originally Posted by OddFoxxeP View Post
    betty edward's drawing on the right side of the brain will help you a lot too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkRw...yer_detailpage

I was about where you are at now in progress and it help me pull a lot of what I learned from loomis and bridgeman together. It's a really good resource.
    Oh man, more straight out helping hands awesome!
    I looked into the video and while I can see how it is helpful, I still can't help but to have this feeling that I don't nessecerely want to learn to draw what I see.
    Instead I have this mentality that I would want to focus on understanding what I'm drawing. Why sertain things look the way they do so that I could later replicate them out of my imagination.
    Do you feel this is wrong attitude or simply different? And don't get me wrong, the video showed straight out excercises and I will go and do most of them. I just have this mentality that it's teaching me things in different way that I would like to approach them.

I'll edit in todays stuff once I get something done

EDIT: Okay, on the notion of drawing from understanding I got this sort of idea or realization that I try to copy stuff way too hard instead of looking what I am drawing as a separate entity.

I did a deliberately quick (~30min) copy painting while listening to a podcast. Just picked colors from the image and first tried to copy the shapes as I saw them from the reference but then also tried to focus on seeing the drawing I did as a separate thing from the reference I was copying.

I think this actually really helped me. I felt I was able to solve problems easier and the whole process was faster and way more relaxed than other stuff I've done so far.
    The picture I used is from "Oxide2x" by Kim, Hoyung-Tae. No idea about the person, just a random illustration book I picked up on a trip to Japan. He has really cool style tho.

EDIT2: Ended up doing a study on female figure. I think it was in that FZD ep. 19 and I really wanted to try it ever since. Fun exercise!
    I did skeleton and form(?). I was thinking of doing muscles too but I think I should first study them more, I wouldn't have been able to get most of them in properly I think.

Last edited by NotForAll; June 28th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Missed yesterday update it was simply one of those days when I get nothing done and the little scripples I did were not enough to effort scanning.

More digital stuff, trying to stick to this side whenever I'm not looking into specific things. If it's hard to tell I used Kratos by Andy Park as reference absolutely love everything in God of War series visually.
    As you can probably see I didn't pay any attention to metals. Trying to still focus on the figure and anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last few days have been quite slow. I'd love to say I simply didn't have time but when I think about it I really did, I just didn't spend it well.
    I also managed to go through the wonderful experience of spilling some sauce on my anatomy stuff which was hopefully one time thing.

OT:
    Also been looking into formal art related studies in Finland and there doesn't seem to be many options and most of them don't seem to either match with what I'm looking for (digital, illustration, design) or simply don't have much info on them (can't find graduate works etc. to see what people actually learn in there). If someone happens to have any knowledge on this, I'd love to hear about it I still have another year left of my current studies so I have some time to figure things out.
    Since I still struggle with time management, I've been thinking of trying to make somewhat realistic daily plan. Keeping in mind that I still have around 2 months of completely free time.
    I was thinking of five parts; first one would be sort of warmup where I make stuff out of scripples sort of stimulating that right side of my brain a bit. Got this idea from sycra's video After that I would have 3 part of more formal studies. One hour of figures, one hour of anatomy (Looking into books/theory) and one hour of digital copy/studies. Now ofcourse when I say hour I mean atleast hour, or until I feel things are done.
    Then at evening I would try to end my day at sort of freeform studies where I would just make all the stuff I happen to want to do at the time, so monsters, knights and what have you. I've been trying to sort of not get into freeform stuff since I feel I don't have skills to pull it of yet and it would just lead into frustration.

Once again bit too much text and too few drawings to show, I'll try to fix that in the future.

Last edited by NotForAll; July 2nd, 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good thing studying over photos.. try to apply what you learn to imaginative stuff then!

♦♦♦ SKETCHBOOK ♦♦♦
    DEVIANTARTSKETCHBLOGTWITTER

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know how you feel I started recently myself... the first and only think you have to do is to draw every day.. "don't try-> just do" with time you will understand the adaptation of a 3D world to into 2D drawings

everybody have to learn in his one speed... or you will get frustrated... I know that

I am searching for a "Mentor" who will give me some hint's and an ass-kick when I get lazy

NOW or Never --> Last Chance SKETCHBOOK _____ deviantArt _____ CW-Sketchbook(Blog)

Any Question? ---> PM pls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Natalia Soleil Yep, I'll try to Copying stuff digital seems great way to learn. I actually feel I always pick something out of it, it gets me more used to tablet and ofcourse provides loads of motivation and inspiration.

@JiR Yeah, right now I try to focus on making progress every single day. More often than not I feel I'm not making enough but consistensy is starting to get going, now I just have to gradually up the speed.

Did most of these yesterday but forgot to update. Really taking my time with figures. I'm not all that comfortable with proportions yet, should porbably do some 1 minute poses or something. Ofcourse also trying to make one page of some sort of figure poses daily from now on to get better at it.

EDIT:
    I was looking for a pic that would have some anatomy parts nicely but oddly enough didn't find one (I have tons of random pics on my computer) so I figured I would do one that just looks cool to me.
    Ended up trying to copy this knight because it's close to what I would eventually love to be able to do. Problem kind of being that I have not done much metal, so it took quite long time and I ended up stopping at this (for now).
    When I do these studies I still have the problem that I go into too small chunks too fast. I think should just keep the picture relatively small and build it up overall.

Also looking at it now afterwards it looks like I still have this thing where I try too hard to avoid pure whites. I just kept hearing this advice that pure whites are not natural and one should stay away from them. I think I took it too literally
    That and I keep working within way too small value range, not sure how to fix it.

Last edited by NotForAll; July 4th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kind of like how todays "warmup" thing turned out so I decided to post it.

Last edited by NotForAll; July 6th, 2012 at 06:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update, was unable to update for few days but will resume normally from now on.
    Little changes since I discovered that when I just have fun and draw whatever, for example after getting little inspired by some artbooks.
    I tend to simply get more done.

Right now proper studies feel sort of dull (not really the right word to use...) but I'll try to make sure I do little bit of proper studying every day.

Mostly I feel right now it's more important for me to actually draw a lot instead of getting the theory down, which I have tried to do so far.

I will most likely only upload the study stuff for now, since the other stuff is kind of silly and really inconsistent. This will likely keep the regular updates small.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some muscles from Loomis, have to admit I love looking at skeleton / muscles whole lot more than actual figures

Today I was mostly trying to do single character with PS and it was a struggle. I ended up changing eveything dozen times and I feel I will do the same tomorrow. I find clothing really hard to do and noticed I better start making some face studies on PS since it felt quite bit more fun than doing them traditionally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another small anatomy update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today the backside muscles. Paid more attention to sketch out the full figure first so the proportions are much better. Lesson learned! (I hope)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allright now to the hands.

Having hard time with the faces and tried doing some study on celeb faces and whatnot on digital. Do you think I should stick to greyscale atm and just focus on figuring out the basics. Even on greyscale I often get stuck trying to smooth out some shapes. Thinking about forcing myself to into doing quick studies with either time limits or limiting the size to something small enough to make it impossible to work on details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    nice studys, I appreciate your effort^^
    but there is a problem with loomis' anatomy studys, they don't give you enough overview over the 3-dimensionality of the body and muscles, try to make bridgeman studys, he is also mentioned by loomis in his books, bridgeman studys are great for learning propotions and anatomy, being more plastic than loomis' ones

visit my Sketchbook!
    Sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.