Sketchbook: Earful of Banana

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Earful of Banana

Sketchbook.

EDIT::::::

-Removed all the crap imaginative works...starting fresh on this same thread (not deleting it) and posting studies.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Featheredface; July 29th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  animrohs jake.png
Views: 138
Size:  342.2 KB

Name:  diibided.png
Views: 135
Size:  384.6 KB

Name:  commissh pounce.png
Views: 132
Size:  408.0 KB

Name:  frostfoot feral.png
Views: 140
Size:  523.7 KB

Name:  hootaloo.png
Views: 134
Size:  504.5 KB

Name:  wasting away.png
Views: 133
Size:  398.6 KB

Last edited by Featheredface; July 29th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So, what about some studies from real life that actually get into the structure of the thing, not just cartoon dogs which are not at all in perspective?
    It just feels weird when you constantly say you want critique and feedback, start new sketchbooks, post new threads and always ask for feedback and critique but I have rarely seen you actually follow any feedback or critique you get, especially on your imaginary work and you always keep posting the same thing over and over.

Last edited by TinyBird; July 2nd, 2012 at 03:53 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But when I do studies, nothing looks 100% like the picture/reference, it's frustrating. I want to do enviroment studies, even if only to gain a better understanding of colour and it's relations in the natural world. But,...I try to look and analyze the colours in the photo but always fall short.

Should I be approaching it differently?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Featheredface View Post
    But when I do studies, nothing looks 100% like the picture/reference, it's frustrating. I want to do enviroment studies, even if only to gain a better understanding of colour and it's relations in the natural world. But,...I try to look and analyze the colours in the photo but always fall short.

Should I be approaching it differently?
    Well, yeah that's just how it is. If you don't have the skills required to make it look like the reference then it's not going to look 100% like the reference (and it's not necessarily that you'd be doing something specifically wrong, like if you try to lift 100 pound weight from the ground and notice that you can't lift it like a feather, do you start to think "am I trying to lift it wrong" or are you going to think "I don't have enough muscle strength to lift it"?), but if you don't exercise it, then that skill isn't going to just appear there either. And a lot of the time you should ask yourself does it need to look 100% like the reference. You're doing a study or using the reference, not copying the reference, if you get my point. Mindlessly copying something, even if you would manage to make a 100% copy won't teach you to understand the subject. But understanding the subject will help you to replicate the image.

But honestly it just sounds like you're trying to jump to things that are too hard for you yet. If you can't get a grayscale image right, trying to get a colour image right will be harder and if you can't draw something right, it's a lot harder to paint it right.
    Like the classic beginner mistake when beginners want to draw scenes that have several people with three point perspective and dragons when they can't even draw one person or one point perspective or a real animal right.
    So my suggestion would be, learn to draw (and specifically construct your subject by drawing) first. And you've gotten loads of advice on this subject already.

But I say this:
    I want to do enviroment studies, (...) natural world. But,...I try to look and analyze the colours in the photo
    Photos are not real world. Go out in real life to observe colours if you want to see how they work there. There's things in colours that change in ways that you just can't see in photos, and that's even if we ignore all the distortions etc a photo can have in the colours. Bring your watercolours, go to an oil painting course if ever possible, even acrylics work while painting outside (there's a good plein air thread going on in Art Discussion about this).
    Sometimes you just make everything harder for yourself when you work on a computer.

Last edited by TinyBird; July 16th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your reply, Tinybird.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Photos are not real world. Go out in real life to observe colours if you want to see how they work there. There's things in colours that change in ways that you just can't see in photos, and that's even if we ignore all the distortions etc a photo can have in the colours. Bring your watercolours, go to an oil painting course if ever possible, even acrylics work while painting outside (there's a good plein air thread going on in Art Discussion about this).
    Sometimes you just make everything harder for yourself when you work on a computer.
    Very true. I do have a ton of acrylics laying around, most are nearly empty tubes but enough and a good range of colours to do a few days or week of attempts at Plein air.

With that I present my first (pitiful) attempt at Plein air. I sat on a hill overlooking a corn field wit ha gorgeous view of the corn ears, treeline, then a sky with a spot of whitish yellow sun. The corn stalk tips, together in the hundreds, burred into a coat of raw sienna, with fain sap green base, the trees a dark, blueish green.

Name:  017.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  67.2 KB

However, I totally f'ed it up. Everything is symbols. The sky blue, vegetation green. I HAD the colours in mind and identified, however, my own idiocy prevented me from accurately representing them on canvas. I lay the acrylic paints down too thick, for one, so new colours would just blurr and disappear into the main green and blue. My efforts were cut short as rain began to come down (grr)

I'm going to try the same spot tomorrow. And make an effort to do a quick (just enough to get the colours and basic shapes down.) at least once every day or every other day. I live by a river, a wooded area, fields, farm land, so I have plenty of natural landscapes to spot.

I also am going to do at least one, or two, 20-30 minute photo studies of nude models off of dA's stock resources. (I've found quite a bit of good, unfiltered and raw images of models of varying size and shape and age to practice with.

My only problem is procrastination,..it is my biggest downfall in most areas of my life. HFLKFHLFH (Hence why most threads end with me saying "yeah Ill do it,,,then never 'get around to it' )

Anywho, thank you for reading, all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some studies this morning, from photo reference....and I going in the right direction? Critique? This is only a sample, really, once I get a sense of what I am doing okay and what I am going about in an incorrect way, I'll refine and do more pages each day.

Name:  IMG.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  177.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a quick portrait study today! My only few nitpicks are that I wish there was more contrast/definition in the face/flesh, as it looks flat and too blended.

Also, a timeline of progress with portrait studies. It's in no way the peak of what is possible, it's just keeping tabs on differences and, dare I say; Improvement? in the art.

Name:  portraiiiiit blurr.png
Views: 122
Size:  261.9 KB

Name:  progression portraits.png
Views: 122
Size:  1.08 MB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.