Intentional mark making...or what ever it is?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Intentional mark making...or what ever it is?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Intentional mark making...or what ever it is?

Have been trying to research this without much results, just dont know what it's called.
    I've been practicing a way of drawing via loose yet decisive marks, doing the best I can in the moment to draw out specifically what I may visualize. Line for line, detail by detail, without any approach of structuring or sketching.
    It is a slow process, always in calm and patience, no rush. Must be enjoying it over all and not stressing about!

For the time being I call it intentional mark making, every mark and line is by visual (near) precise intent. Some times I will scrap a page or two or so before it begins to lay out clearly (and without distortion).

I am sure there is a word for it, just dont know where.
    While approaching an illustration with a structure of some kind brings out the best, most assured process (gesture contour geometry etc.) I have been finding this method rather fun!
    It's a practice of the relationship between the visualizing eye and a calm, patient focused discipline.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a common approch to copying from reference photos or life. You'll get less distortion if you keep the drawing at the same angle as the object you're drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can understand that, however I learned gesture and other methods when drawing from life.
    Intentional mark drawing is what I'm calling it for now. It's a good meditative practice that focuses on the relationship with one's visual observation (inner eye) and patient mark making.
    When I make mistakes I Just scrap the sheets away and start again.
    Also a fun way to wake up the mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quofalcon View Post
    Line for line, detail by detail, without any approach of structuring or sketching.
    Maybe it's good as a meditative practice or a method to achieve a particular illustrative style. For general drawing, I think it's pretty counterproductive and can be very slow. You say yourself you are scrapping many attempts - when you could have done it on the first attempt if you did a structural sketch first.

And it's not as if structural drawing / painting has no place for deliberate mark making. On the contrary. I am not sure if it has a proper name in drawing (I generally call it "line quality") but in painting the same thing is often called "brushstroke economy".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest, with a structured approach or not, every mark you put on the paper should have an intention. Even with a structured approach, be it a geometric one or one that evolves from a loose gesture, should not have random marks or scribbles that have no meaning. I think that many people get caught up with the idea that gesture drawing should be careless due to the amount of time they have for it. If you are doing something quicker, like a 1-5 minute pose, you have to be even more thoughtful on the purpose of each line so that you can effectively create a good drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like Sumi-e painting to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You want to look at tutorials/videos or anything else you can find by Greg Manchess. He looks like he paints very slow, but in the end, his strokes are right on the first pass so it goes real quick. He thinks about every single stroke.

Members who have read this thread: 2