Andrew Loomis - Fun With A Pencil problem (among other questions)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello ConceptArt community. This is my first post here, I'm sorry if the question is not in the right category.

This question might seem stupid but as I'm not a native English speaker, I'm having problems understanding the idea behind it. I've included a image of what I do not understand.

Please help me comprehend the meaning behind this paragraph. I don't even know what line the author is talking about. (I can't see it in the mess of other lines).

Excuse my stupidity, I'm fairly a beginner. I wish to be able to draw portraits and possibly, human figures. I hope I'm going in the right direction with this (Fun With A Pencil) book. I plan to read more of the Loomis material after I finish this one. It's been just a month since my passion of drawing emerged and I decided to pick up, rather a digital pencil again.

Please let me know if my book choice is not right (although, the whole forum hold high regards for Loomis so that is what convinced me to start with his books).

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 332 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    He's talking about the line labelled "EAR LINE". There's a typo in the text, which doesn't help; it should read "This last line goes competely around the ball, through the axis at each end".

It's a great book for learning how to begin drawing from the imagination, as well as how to think constructionally when drawing from observation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    He's talking about the line labelled "EAR LINE". There's a typo in the text, which doesn't help; it should read "This last line goes competely around the ball, through the axis at each end".

It's a great book for learning how to begin drawing from the imagination, as well as how to think constructionally when drawing from observation.
    It seems to make sense now. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Fun with a Pencil" is a bit of a problematic book. It looks like a drawing manual for beginners, but to really follow it you have to be experienced. Loomis wasn't terribly good at breaking it down to zero-level people, and a lot of things he took for granted are in no way obvious to the layman.

I recommend starting with "Successful Drawing" instead. At least it teaches the method and does not attempt to look simple.

Members who have read this thread: 1