ChOW#291 :: FINALS :: Intergalactic Burlesque Queen
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who is the true intergalactic queen of burlesque?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • dragon4lunch

19 24.05%
  • PhillipO

3 3.80%
  • CW Saton

4 5.06%
  • DKHutcheson

14 17.72%
  • Ephelea

1 1.27%
  • Havok Reed

2 2.53%
  • Grunler

30 37.97%
  • Tchuk

29 36.71%
  • nevreme

2 2.53%
  • jsn

1 1.27%
  • gtgauvin

4 5.06%
  • Aaron_

16 20.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ChOW#291 :: FINALS :: Intergalactic Burlesque Queen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ChOW#291 :: FINALS :: Intergalactic Burlesque Queen

Character of the Week #291
    Intergalactic Burlesque Queen

Design the new Intergalactic Queen of Burlesque!!

DEADLINE: SUNDAY 10th June 8PM GMT+1 (9PM British Summer Time)
    Check your timezone!

Post your final images in this thread. Remember, any comments posted BEFORE the poll is posted will be removed without any sort of warning.

CHECK YOUR TIMEZONE

CHECK YOUR FILENAME

MAKE SURE YOUR IMAGE ADHERES TO THE BRIEF

The Guidelines:
    • Can be any gender
    • Cannot be human (But can be humanoid)
    • Think about iconic burlesque visuals, like fans and tassels.

THE RULES
    In addition to the brief, if you do not follow these rules, you will not be included in the poll.
    • Files must be named: CHoW#290_Username 
(Files with any other names such as final.jpg or even chow290final.jpg will not be accepted)
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread BEFORE the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW number and the artists username at the bottom of the image
    • At least 3/4 of the focus character must be visible
    • Final images must be accompanied with a basic character sheet in a separate image
 Character sheets should at the very least show a sketch of the front and back of the character and a couple of early thumbnails/silhouettes.
    • Follow the brief!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINAL

Attached Images Attached Images    

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Luka, the intergalactic burlesque queen. Women of this race of grasshopper-like creatures have no breasts to speak of, but their long slender legs are the pride of the stage.

Name:  CHoW#291_DKHutcheson.jpg
Views: 1680
Size:  261.0 KB

Name:  CHoW#291_DKHutchesonWIPs.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  251.1 KB

Last edited by DKHutcheson; June 10th, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
    If you have the time, please stop by my sketchbook, Chock Full o'Nuts.
    I would appreciate any advice or critiques.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DKHutcheson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My submission:

The exotic, fabulous Intergalactic Burlesque Queen. A rare species of creature, found only on the Amazonian-like tropical jungles of the Oozrpa star system. While usually fierce, fiesty creatures - they also have an alluring, beautiful nature. With a shake of her tail feathers she can entrance the most cold-hearted. Name:  chow#291_ephelea.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  frontbackchow#291_ephelea.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  sketcheschow#291_ephelea.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  61.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This species lives along coastlines of their planet. They have distinctive skin which is shiny and covered in scales which shimmer in the light, mainly to glide through the water. They have a slightly lankier body type. Though they do not live IN the water, they spend a lot of time in it during the day and at night they enjoy to venture inland for fun.

Last edited by Havok Reed; June 9th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Going by the stage name Shadow Nymph, this elusive burlesque queen performs a racy shadow dance nightly. What is unknown to her fans is that she is in fact a sentient, telepathic collection of unclassified alien organisms, contained within an over-sized petri dish. The entity gathers new material for each show by probing the minds of it's audience, then reshapes itself to create elaborate improvisational narratives based on their collective desires.

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Grunler For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Se'quila of the Deep

Se'quila is considered the queen of both seep space and sea, her fluid movements accentuated by her custom holographic clothes designed to tease and move as fluidly in water as she does have brung patrons from all across the galaxy to see her unsurpassed techniques in the art of the seductive and the sultry.

With her vast wealth aquired through her unique talents she now owns an empire consisting of hundreds of burlesque clubs on the far rim of the galaxy; catering especially to her aquatic clientele (a market vastly undersaturated), she is unsurpassed in her market. Always willing to take new girls under her wing she has shown she has both considerable influence and power as well as the will to temper it. She is strong, kind and rich beyond many individuals understandings, making her truly the Burlesque Queen.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lenore, the Intergalactic Burlesque Queen

Lenore is one of many humanoids still working in the entertainment industry, and earning big bucks for their owners. The Burlesque Queen being one of the top earners, and Lenore also gets the best upgrades.

But of course, nothing lasts forever! Will Lenore hold onto her crown, or will there be a new Intergalactic Burlesque Queen?

Vote for your favourite queen! May the best sexy thing win!

Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Mostly traditional media.
    Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com

gtgauvin is offline 3rd-level Artist with a +1 pencil and a Printer of Scanning Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK. Not exactly polished to where I'd prefer to have it, but a solid start, and something I can finalize later.

Name:  CHoW#290_gtgauvin.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  476.8 KB

"I always did want to be a hero...and a liar!"

My Sketch Thread

My Stupid Blog

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtgauvin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    10 minutes notice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine. Been looking at D@niel these days, so the influence is definitely here.

"at the very least show a sketch of the front and back of the character and a couple of early thumbnails/silhouettes."
    Name:  Character Sheet.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  CHoW#290_Aaron_.JPG
Views: 1615
Size:  232.4 KB

Edit:I'm putting this head shot here, hope that's not against the rules.
    Name:  head copy.JPG
Views: 1595
Size:  206.5 KB

Last edited by Aaron_; June 10th, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    closed! Best of luck ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, no comments yet. I guess this wasn't a popular theme, but it's been unusually quiet here, for a Character of the Week.

What's the matter people? Anybody care to comment on why the voted the way they voted?

I have to admit I'm surprised an entry like Grunler's has gotten that many votes. It's certainly not the prettiest or most well-rendered piece here. This is a case, where the actual concept convinced people.

Best-rendered - I think I'd give that to Aaron_ . If I was going to vote - I'd vote for dragon4lunch though Just being honest here people! Hehe.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what's most impressive about Grunler's entry is that he managed to completely avoid using any kind of humanoid form, or even clichéd burlesque imagery. It's pretty far removed from what one would expect a conclusion to an Intergalactic Burlesque Queen design project to look like. A strong concept.

Aaron_ .'s entry is certainly the best rendering. Although my vote this time went to jsn, purely for selfish reasons, he did an android - I did an android, I feel a sense of android based kinship. We're droid brothers.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Paton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, thank you both. I actually lost the big 10000 pixel file so I ended up having to put up an older version without the color variations, so the rendering looks quite stale I think, but hell, the deadline is up when that happened >_____>

I didn't expect to win though, as mine looks nothing like the Intergalactic Burlesque Queen, but oh well, of all the sketches I did, it's the most personal one, and probably the least popular one, so it's a trade off, and I think it was worth it.

All of the entries, I think dragon has the best design, it captures the brief very well, and overall, it's my favorite character. But Grunler's idea is simply just brilliant, and I think if a movie was made out of each of our characters, his would be the most interesting.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a shame you lost your work Aaron, I was tempted to vote for you because your entry seemed quite unusual and was very nicely rendered, I especially liked the sketches

Grunler's entry was definitely a unique design and not something I would've thought up myself so that's very cool however nothing about it struck me as regal or Queen-like and the rendering feels like it could've bee a bit cleaner.

It's a shame you never got time on yours either gtgauvin your anatomy is lovely and it reminds me of more 70's sci-fi for some reason, which always bring a smile to my face

In the end I voted for Dragon4Lunch though. It didn't excel in any one area above all others such as design, rendering or how it fit the brief. (something about the fans makes me think of clowns, maybe it's just the colours) But overall it seemed like the most well rounded of the entries to choose from, other than mine of course

EDIT: Shit, sorry DKHutcheson, I forgot to mention yours I actualy really liked this one too especially the lack of breasts, I think the only thing that really turned me away was the face however, seemed far too human for an alien. Was a great entry either way though

Last edited by Tchuk; June 14th, 2012 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I didn't vote for anyone, mostly because I was participating, but here are some comments on those that I might have voted for:

Dragon4Lunch, I like that you brought alien culture into your queen, but personally I would have liked to have seen something more extravagant and strange. A huge fan made out of insect wings would have been striking, or a dress grafted from living beetles who's wings would start beating at different notes.

DKHutcheson, I liked your concept the best for an alien universe that was still very humanoid, and you did a good job capturing the burlesque look in her pose and lighting.

Tchuk, Really like the holographic clothing and theme of fluidity. I think more synchronization among the tentacles groups might better imply dance though. Also, treating her beak as something to be hid, but teasingly.

Aaron_, as mentioned great painting. Have you seen people with the birth defect that makes their arms look like featherless chicken wings?

Thanks to those who liked my idea! I'm glad it was well received. I wouldn't mind hearing some more specific critiques of the drawing though. It sounds like there's a consensus that it's poorly rendered. I'm aware that the black curtain kind of switches from behind the wooden panel to in front of it, and that the wooden panel has poor structure. I also had trouble figuring out how to keep the queen's silhouette both precise and organic looking, but I think diffusing the edges a bit might have made sense given the lighting. Anyway, critiques welcome.

As far as the unpopularity of this CHOW goes, I can only guess. One reason might be that ugly women are just not that popular, and we've presented a fair number of them. You get more excitement for topics like "Cool Mech", "Cool Fire Monster", or "Cool Hell Guy". There also aren't any entries that just blow people away with their rendering.

Last edited by Grunler; June 13th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 6