Sketchbook: Seeking Professional Standard
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Professional Standard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Seeking Professional Standard

I've been drawing since i could hold a pencil, and have always enjoyed it.

I am studying games development currently, which isn't as art focused as i hoped and i feel my passion and drive starting to slip away.

I want more than anything to be able to excel as high as i possibly can at something that has always kept my spirit afloat.

After seeking a concept art route into the industry i was told my skills aern't good enough and my imagination wont get me everywhere.

I turn to you guys to help me, as i know there are many wise people in this industry and lots of passionate and caring people, who i hope will be able to help me critically in anyway possible, give me points to improve on, what to post and hopefully mentor me to some or any degree so that i can improve

( i am also new to this website and forums as a whole )
    (any advice harsh or soft will help me so don't be afraid to be honest)

http://bnw-jack.deviantart.com/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Newman101 is offline The destroyer of assorted cheese wedges Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you've got a great start toward that professional standard. Hopefully posting here will help you keep yourself motivated because I can see great art coming from you. Honestly you are so far ahead of me all I can say is keep at it. Draw as much as you can and show us how you kick some ass! I see great things for you

*New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man ^^ you're a good guy to take the time to comment

ill take the time to check your sketchbook man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm minoring in Concept Art for Games right now, and I understand the shock of the arts versus everything else in game development; went through a similar sort of experience this last quarter.

I think what your work lacks most is solidity. The things I'm seeing are pretty nicely drawn, but they aren't solidly rendered yet, so I don't believe them as much as I would. Your purple flower in your first picture, that is starting to look pretty solid, you just need to do some more of that. Your mark-making and your rendering don't look confident yet, and I think that's one of the biggest things you should work on.

I would suggest working with solid blocks of color without smoothing them together for shading, just to practice to see what that feels like. Does that make sense? c:

If you have the time, please stop by my sketchbook, Chock Full o'Nuts.
    I would appreciate any advice or critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i guess it just didn't make sense to me how much artists are under appreciated, especially in the games development industry.

i understand what you mean, especially about confidence. i tend to tip-toe and delicately apply soft low contrast colours to what im trying to render until something comes to me.

do you mean kinda like painting with a palette knife?
    i think i understand what you mean so ill give it a shot and post it up

thanks man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that'd be fine, but really just any high opacity brush would do fine. The point is mostly to restrain yourself from working too soft. There are patches all over some of your paintings where I can see straight through, which this will probably help fix. You just don't want to start too light or with too small a brush.

c: No probs, btw.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DKHutcheson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice first post, looks like you have a lot of interesting little ideas going on which i am sure you can easily expand on. That guy with the strange skull head I really like think he could be a very interesting character. I like the composition and design of the pirate girl painting, although her left breast is missing it seems.

Part of that is because her top does not capture her breast pushing through against the fabric plus her hands do look a bit rubbery lacking in bone and form. I think a lot of what you ned to work at is technicality and studies in terms of anatomy, drapery ect and working out how to render muscular forms ect to give more believability to your work.

You are also far far ahead of me and i can see that you have a lot of raw imagination and this is great, Once the technical side catches up with what your mind produces I think your going to produce some really strong work.

Keep working and keep posting and I am sure you keep getting closer to your ultimate goal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome, I'm also new to the forum. I'm a beginner so all I can say is I like your line work in the first image. I especially like the skull/tentacles guy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DamnStraight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice looking sketches in your first post. I don't have much to say about your work yet but I wanted to say I'm in a similar situation - wanting to be a concept artist but I'm currently working in a design/development position at a games studio. From personal experience I DO regret not doing art but I wouldn't lose hope - getting a foot in the door even in a separate department is useful and you gain valuable experience of working in a studio that can support any future applications in a more relevant field . Also, you get the added bonus of friendly concept artists helping you develop your skills! Only speaking from my own experience, but just wanted to try and give you a bit of a boost!

All in all, keep going!! Learn everything you can from the amazing people here!!

Please drop by my sketchbook and help me improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DKHutcheson View Post
    Yeah, that'd be fine, but really just any high opacity brush would do fine. The point is mostly to restrain yourself from working too soft. There are patches all over some of your paintings where I can see straight through, which this will probably help fix. You just don't want to start too light or with too small a brush.

c: No probs, btw.

this is a practice i just did, i dont think i did fully what you meant but im gonna have a few more tries, this did help definitely though so thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ja1307 View Post
    Nice first post, looks like you have a lot of interesting little ideas going on which i am sure you can easily expand on. That guy with the strange skull head I really like think he could be a very interesting character. I like the composition and design of the pirate girl painting, although her left breast is missing it seems.

Part of that is because her top does not capture her breast pushing through against the fabric plus her hands do look a bit rubbery lacking in bone and form. I think a lot of what you ned to work at is technicality and studies in terms of anatomy, drapery ect and working out how to render muscular forms ect to give more believability to your work.

You are also far far ahead of me and i can see that you have a lot of raw imagination and this is great, Once the technical side catches up with what your mind produces I think your going to produce some really strong work.

Keep working and keep posting and I am sure you keep getting closer to your ultimate goal.

yeah i get what you mean about her left breast, i tried for hours to try and correct the way her torso looked on this image, but it seemed out of my capability at the time, mainly because whatever i tried didnt look quite right so i think it was a combination of alot of things within the image which made her torso look really strange, so anatomy for one and i understnad what you mean about material, i always have trouble rendering clothes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtail View Post
    Hey, nice looking sketches in your first post. I don't have much to say about your work yet but I wanted to say I'm in a similar situation - wanting to be a concept artist but I'm currently working in a design/development position at a games studio. From personal experience I DO regret not doing art but I wouldn't lose hope - getting a foot in the door even in a separate department is useful and you gain valuable experience of working in a studio that can support any future applications in a more relevant field . Also, you get the added bonus of friendly concept artists helping you develop your skills! Only speaking from my own experience, but just wanted to try and give you a bit of a boost!

All in all, keep going!! Learn everything you can from the amazing people here!!
    i appreciate the advice

that was the main reason i wanted to get into the industry was to meet some great artists and see how they live, work and who they are.

to my memory ive never met an excellent concept artist who was willing to talk to me in depth about their work, i cannot decide whether to continue on to the second year of my games development course or quit at the end of this year and work primarily on my art, what would you do in my shoes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really couldn't say - personally I'm glad I finished my course as I have something to fall back on. In my experience when you are working in a games studio in any position it's much easier to talk to and get advice from people than when you are a student (and you get paid!). I really, really couldn't say what is right for you though.

Also, that last study you posted shows real improvement - it looks much more solid .

Please drop by my sketchbook and help me improve!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe try and find a photo ref that is similar to her pose where you can work on areas like her breast and her collar bone area and then see if you can apply this knowledge back to this painting. I guess doing lots of anatomy studies espc torsos and clothes and fabric studies will really aid you, as a lot of what we all create is heavily reliant upon these areas. But the only way is up and improvement and you have a great foundation, I wish i was at your level.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a big improvement already. c: Your lines look much more confident. The weakest areas are on the legs and the top face of the pedestal where your lines are scratchy. The marks there don't look intentional so it makes them look sloppy in a not so good way. The rest of it looks very intentional, especially the top of the statue's head, which is my favourite part. c: Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All your words have been very helpful guys
    im gonna do some studies of material and torsos next to try and make my lines and strokes ,look more confident.

heres what i have for today, a render of the lion character on my first image for my course, let me know what you think.

(i didn't render the mane because i'm not really sure how to do it)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive been working on a few things i think ive improved here is a sketch compilation i made, comment on it , let me know what you think some of these images were drawn from reference

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to drop by and leave some tips
    I could already see some improvements since your first post, the flow of your lines is beautiful and very interesting, specially the back of the" body mod guy".
    The tips that I leave to you is: keep it up, continue studying anatomy and try to be more confident with your lines (I have quite the same problem, but I'm working on this now ^^)

Def. subscribed! Keep posting!

Please, check my SKETCHBOOK and leave feedback. I want to improve!
    "Little by little, one travels far."
    - J. R. R. Tolkien
    -----
    Don't forget to check their sketchbooks as well:
    Aragah

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ChisLu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ChisLu View Post
    Decided to drop by and leave some tips
    I could already see some improvements since your first post, the flow of your lines is beautiful and very interesting, specially the back of the" body mod guy".
    The tips that I leave to you is: keep it up, continue studying anatomy and try to be more confident with your lines (I have quite the same problem, but I'm working on this now ^^)

Def. subscribed! Keep posting!
    thanks man i really appreciate you dropping by, i really liked the tattoos there too was really fun to paint,
    yeah i know what you mean i think i need to work on bone and muscle relation so i guess that will be the basis for my next post, i have a lot more work ive done since my last post ijust didnt know whether it was worthy to post or not

thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moar sketch

advice helpful as always

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a new sketch collection let me know what you think, ive been trying different styles and techniques and doing lots of observation

let me know what you think constructive advice is much appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some more work ive been working on whilst the website has been down

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A logo i did for a truth spreading page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New painting finished yesterday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good.
    My advice for what its worth would be find the best work out there and study it.
    And think about what kind of work you want to get in, and what there's a market for and do pieces to put in your portfolio.
    I liked drawing cars and machines so I did a load of those things and sent it to people and that was my way in to making money from it, as lots of people need things like that for iphone games.
    Same for architectural stuff; loads of people need it and its not that hard, even if it is a bit dull.
    Its good to do money work, and personal bench pressing skill stretching stuff. And read as much as you can, for ideas.
    Hope that helps. Just dont give up.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for your advice ^^
    Something i have thought about doing for money work is producing sheets of tattoos and selling them to tattoo parlours.
    However your idea for machines, cars and architecture is something i may definitely have to spend more time on, especially seeing as futuristic and revolutionary architecture with implemented self-sufficient tech is something i am very passionate about, so what better way than to implement it into designs of my own ^^

thank you for your help Kendall ^^ Best wishes to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great art, Brave-New-World! I look forward to seeing you do some reptilian-inspired creations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the owl and the three dudes in hazmat drawings, Its nice to see that your sculpting too I think it will improve your 2d anatomy aswell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1