WIP Composition

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: WIP Composition

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP Composition

Hello everyone. Here's a little wip I'm working on. For now, I'd like to make sure my composition is effective. Let me know if you feel there's something I could do to improve it. I'm thinking of bumping the brights and darks. So it's not all so grey.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

a couple of tweaks later:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another update on the piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what might help would be adding a line of action or something like that to the overall composition. Each element in the image seems like it's off doing it's own thing, instead of complimenting the things around it. I like the second composition best. In the last one I feel like there's not enough contrast. Her boob on our right is kind of sliding down her chest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to snacks ex machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

so i took a better look at her chest and i hope this looks better. I also made a major concept for the background, not fleshed out, but i think you get the idea of what I'm going for, it's a cave with spiky formations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thought i might put in my two scents.
    I think its great that you've decided to make Medusa (I'm assuming) pop out by darkening the background. I am a little iffy about the foreground silhouettes. When too large they distract the viewer, and if its not clear who or what they are, they pull attention away from the focus. Which I'm assuming is Medusa. So I'd suggest either removing them altogether or keeping them, but lessening the amount of room they take and breaking them up so that they don't break the balance. In the latest iteration you only have one all the way on the right, who basically becomes a high contrast dark vertical bar. It really pulls all the way right and makes the open space on the great feel really awkward. Also it doesn't leave enough room to imply the direction and position of Medusa's snake half. it cuts out into a similar value mass and then returns almost parallel but melting into the background and very little to add to it's depth.

What might also help in terms of a crop is a more horizontal crop. Or rather to pull the snakes in her head out. because the focal portions of her are too small in comparison with all the heavy dark tones behind. So you might maybe cut a little bit off the top.

If its alright with you I did a little paint-over of where you could possibly take it.

Here's the PSD if you like. I included some writing on what I did. Margan10PaintOver.psd

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThabisoMhlaba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thank you!

I'll be working on your suggestions today. I think you're totally right, I'll remove the statue and add that backlight, I think I'll work on the snakes though, don't want to crop too much. I'll be adding some statues on the background and the snake tail looks better the way you did it XD basically, thanks for the amazing feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by warmics View Post
    I'll be working on your suggestions today. I think you're totally right, I'll remove the statue and add that backlight, I think I'll work on the snakes though, don't want to crop too much. I'll be adding some statues on the background and the snake tail looks better the way you did it XD basically, thanks for the amazing feedback!
    Ooohh it was a statue! I didn't know that. in that case, if you want to have statues of adventurer's she's turned to stone you have to consider two things. Her placement and the interaction between the two. For instance, you could have a scene where she has JUST petrified someone and is inspecting her new statue (you'd have to add a few more, to emphasize that she does this all the time). Or you could have the statues take up the foreground. Smaller, subdued, but still readable as petrified soldiers (this could be done with texture, monochromatic color scheme and their poses), and then have her in the back or middle ground in high contrast doing w/e. Maybe sitting on a throne, she is a queen afterall. OR stick with the current and place them in the background.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThabisoMhlaba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the final thing, black and white.

WIP Composition

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP Composition

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Matey
    I would have said do some more thumbnails and get an action scene that really zings!! and jumps out at you, the pose is a bit flat and life less at the moment and that is because it is just a pose and not an action.
    The Medusa creatures gesture is missing, and by that I mean the shift of the weight and muscles and the drag of her snake butt, in both of the clash of the titans films she moved like a snake but also dragged herself around with her arms due to the stiffness in her back and this helped to sell her as a creature.
    One idea would be to get her on a raised dais or something where we have to look up at her which gives her a more imposing and dangerous edge.

I hope this helps you out and gives you some new ideas to play with, all the best with the image.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightship69 View Post
    Hi Matey
    I would have said do some more thumbnails and get an action scene that really zings!! and jumps out at you, the pose is a bit flat and life less at the moment and that is because it is just a pose and not an action...
    I totally agree! I need to work on my dynamism in poses. It's like I'm just missing the 'say cheese', and it comes off as a very static thing instead of a real snapshot of a moment in time. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are a lot of things that need work from where I stand. The first is dynamics. Its so... lack lustre.

Secondly, the narrative isn't clear (at least not right now) and needs clarification. If she is a statue, why is she coloured so nicely? Statues rarely get painted for a reason. Was she human before? Did she accept her fate? Why is she so glum but calm?

Nothing makes clear sense, and so the story is lost. As of right now, the picture is lacking. Compositionally, I think you need to think about the rule of thirds, her placing is a little off right now. If you gave her some backlighting it may add balance, but your lighting and placement doesn't sit right by me eye.

www.devious-genius.com for more of my work!
    http://sweetchilliphil.deviantart.com To find my on Deviant Art!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetchilliphil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetchilliphil View Post
    If she is a statue, why is she coloured so nicely? Statues rarely get painted for a reason. Was she human before? Did she accept her fate? Why is she so glum but calm?
    She is not a statue, I was trying to make her feel lonely and sad. But she is not a statue XD I guess you're right about stuff not being clear, thanks for the feedback!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.