IOW #27 - Royal Portrait - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Choose your champion:

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • messioddt

2 4.76%
  • Quinn Simoes

13 30.95%
  • Rhdnor

10 23.81%
  • monologish

1 2.38%
  • IDP

23 54.76%
  • Varguy

7 16.67%
  • Aspectabund

4 9.52%
  • penciltipred

3 7.14%
  • warburton

3 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: IOW #27 - Royal Portrait - Voting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IOW #27 - Royal Portrait - Voting

Voting for Illustration of the Week #27: Royal Portrait

WIP thread can be found here.

Remember to include two WIPs no larger than 375 pixels in the longest dimension. Full size WIPs has to be posted in the WIP thread.

ADD BORDER.

Remember to use the attachment manager.

Deadline is Sunday 10th of June, 23:59 GMT

Last edited by Aksel; June 12th, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final

Here is my final. Thanks to all for your feedback.

Attached Images Attached Images      

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to messioddt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my final.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Quinn Simoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

royal portrait

My eccentric monarch who planned to be remembered come what may.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rhdnor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Asparagus King

My final submission. He might seem like a green horn, but trust me he's tough...

Awesome submissions so far btw..

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works everyone.

Here's my effort - The King of Hearts.

Name:  IOW#27_IDP.jpg
Views: 5227
Size:  363.6 KB
    Name:  20232_king-of-hearts.jpeg
Views: 1090
Size:  86.6 KBName:  royal portrait wip1.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  85.3 KBName:  royal portrait wip2.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  108.2 KB

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to IDP For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The king of the elves. He's still a warrior at heart so he wore his heavy plate armor for the entire portrait session!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Varguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My final. C:

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aspectabund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my final sir TONY prince of someplace

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penciltipred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really liking everyones entrys so far! And thanks alot for everyone who gave me crits during the week

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Poll is up! Happy voting ya'll!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 642 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    didn't really get a chance to work on my any further, some nice entries either way. Voted for Quinn Simoes and IDP, and an honourable mention to warburton! Awesome work guys!!

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some crits

messioddt Nice entry, i like the pattern on her dress and also her lizard pet. Watch out for your values, there isnt much variation in light and darks and its making the over all painting look a little flat. Especially on the chair/throne in the background. Also, with the jewelry being that bright more bounce light and shadows would occure. More colour variation in skin tones would be awesome too. Nice entry overall though

Quinn Simoes Cool character! and i love the composition, brushwork and colours. The main thing that bugs me is the dress, which looks and feels very static in contrast to the rest of the image, i think with the lack of folds and stuff in the dress makes it tough to tell what its made out of.

Rhdnor Very nice painting, it really does look like an old stylised portrait painting. i like the little touch of the border too. The first thing i noticed which confused me a little was the fact that she is nude. That seems a little odd for a royal portrait. The second thing is the way her arms and hands cross while holding that dog. They look oddly distorted, especially also with the dogs legs poking out of the bottom. Solid entry regardless though, nice one.

monologish Very original concept, looks like a prity tough dude. I think you could inject some more colours and textures into his skin tones to make him look even cooler and also push the character more. The uniform seems a little unfinished too, especially around the folds in his arms and the gold areas. Other than that i like what i see, great job

IDP 0_0 Thats prity amazing dude, the way its painted is really beautiful. I especially love the cloth on his shoulders and his hands.I'm intrigued to know, do you set up refs for when you paint or do you completely free style from imagination? Also, do you have any links to any other work you do? I would love to see more of your stuff. No crit from me i'm afraid,you nailed it man. Got my vote.

varguy Cool portrait and nice brushwork! You had a similar idea to me The main issue for me is the composition, it kinda feels like its been cropped and is missing some of the piece. At the moment the image seems kinda empty, the only real interesting part is the face, the rest of the image seems prity much blank. I suggest two possible solutions to this problem. 1, would be to show more of the character, like his torso and arms. With this you could push more posture and details to show more of his character. 2, would be to make is armour more interesting. This shoulder pads seem to almost have something going there which is prity cool but the chest is just plain plate and not that interesting. more detailed armour would make him more unique and push what kind of character he is, and also make him look more royal.

Aspectabund Nice painting, and you nailed a prity awesome character here too. I love your unique approach to the topic. One thing i would watch out for from looking at this piece is your hard and soft edges and your values. It almost seems like everything is made out of the same material.Its most obvious with the furry thing which goes round his neckwhich could use some more soft marks. It would be cool to throw a few more subtle colours in there too. I know you've gone for a perticular mood here and its payed off in that respect, but i guess its more personal taste. I would have liked to see a few saturated colours in areas and some subtle hues in the skin tones in his face. Great job regardless dude, i owuld love to see more of your stuff in the future.

penciltipred Very original idea, and i like his pose and colours you've used.The main issue for me is the character doesnt really feel like a royal figure. The mix of robes with sunglasses seems abit confusing too and its tough to guess what kind of character this is, or what culture or century hes from. Also on a technical note, the painting could use some more hard vs soft contrast especially in the skin and robes. The darks in the values on his cloths look abit off too which is making your character look abit flat. Cool idea though, and gratz for having a shot at something original!

Sorry if theres grammer and spelling mistakes, CA is acting abit odd for me recently, with lagg and stuff.
    Hope these help!

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to the people who voted for my shitty drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Nice round everyone. Some quick crits and comments;

messioddt - Love the pose and slightly insolent expression on her face. I agree with warburton though about the image looking a little flat; some stronger lights and darks could really make the image pop.

Quinn Simoes - Great entry with a nice atmosphere. I like the way you used the stylized hair to lift her away from the background.

Rhdnor - Like the style and the way you made it look like an old painting. I also like the concept of an eccentric princess posing naked with her dressed up dog.
    I think the lower anatomy needs a little work though. The expression on the dogs face is superb.

Monologish - Intriguing design; I look at him and want to know more. I think the image might have benefited from a stronger directional light source; as it is I'm not sure where the light is coming from. Good entry non the less.

Varguy - Love the brushwork and the face but I would echo what warburton said; the image looks as though it's been cropped and I would love to see it with some more detailed armour.

Aspectabund - I like your cartoony style and I think you did an excellent job on the face; it's loaded with character. Nice job.

penciltipred - Nice concept but it lacks that 'royal something'. Maybe some understated headpiece or crown would have helped. Like the style and pose and the hint of gauntlet/mechanical/magical? left arm suggests an intriguing backstory. Good job.

warburton - Thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated. In answer to your questions I usually paint free style but I've recently started setting up reference shots with a cheap camera using myself as a model and I've found it makes a huge difference. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just enough to help figure out lighting etc. I don't have a link to any other work. Although I've been painting digitally for years I've only recently started doing it with any seriousness so I don't have enough finished work to warrant a website. Maybe oneday.
    Really liked your entry. Particularly like the brushwork and colours of the face. My only crits would be the anatomy of the chest and shoulder looks a little out, but that could just be the result of wearing push up bra armour

Thanks all.

Last edited by IDP; June 15th, 2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: missed someone.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IDP For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1