Beginning concept artist
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Beginning concept artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beginning concept artist

Okay, so here's an example of my work. Any and all critique welcome. I really want to improve.

This was done for an Internship client at my uni. Basically it's concept art for a survival-horror video game. More info here: http://darkaspectgame.deviantart.com/

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a look through the gallery. Are you using the Dodge and Burn tools for your shading? (At least I think some of the other artists are. Harder to tell with your pieces.)

My general criticism here is that the cast shadows are non-existant, and the light source seems ill-defined. Maybe the sun is being covered by clouds, but I can't even guess where the light might be coming from. It seems there's lighter parts behind the gate, suggesting the sun is somewhere at the back, presumably to the left since we can't see it. But then the house seems to be shaded on the left side. And the trees and gate aren't leaving any discernible cast shadow, so I can't figure it out.

Trees look a bit samey and as if they're made of wire/tinsel. Maybe check out videos of Bob Ross making trees, heh. They're much more in need of texture than the bushes. (What kind of bushes are those, anyway? Seem very pale. Do you have a reference?)

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, I don't touch dodge and burn. My shading is usually done directly on the layer with darker color, or on a new layer with "multiply". Good points on the light source, I really need to work on that. I use references for the trees, but the bushes aren't. So more references, more obvious light source. Thanks, I really appreciate the critique!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.