Odd places to see good art.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok so this thread is to discuss or share some really odd places where you guys have seen some really good art, it can be from a restroom, streets or a frigging cloud on the sky.

Ok so one really good and odd place that I have always admired for its art (this can only be seen on the US) are the UHAUL trucks. Have you guys seen them? I mean each one of them has a beautiful illustration depicting some of the most beautiful places, flora and fauna of the US.
    I would really love to know how is/are the artist for this amazing illustrations.

So what odd place have you seen some good art?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Professor at community college years ago for a basic entry level design course had a small gallery with the most photo realistic paintings I've ever seen in real life up close and personal. While I don't go to a ton of galleries at schools but the guy was one of the most detailed painters I've seen in person despite teaching at a community college.

Tried to find him a year or so later but he already left the school and I couldn't remember his name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Professor at community college years ago for a basic entry level design course had a small gallery with the most photo realistic paintings I've ever seen in real life up close and personal. While I don't go to a ton of galleries at schools but the guy was one of the most detailed painters I've seen in person despite teaching at a community college.

Tried to find him a year or so later but he already left the school and I couldn't remember his name.
    Nice, still some really good artist teach at community schools for the love of teaching without the whole bureaucracy of art schools.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,932 Times in 2,385 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Boston Public Library. EA Abbey Holy Grail Murals on one floor and Sargent Murals on another.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tend to go to churches. I'm a fan of the stain glass art. Also, in Italy, a lot of the churches had some paintings that rivaled what you saw in museums.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The St. Regis Hotel in New York has a Maxfield Parrish mural over its bar... I went there once, but it's hard to get a good look at the mural because, well, it's behind a bar. With a bartender standing in front of it glaring at you. Still pretty cool, though.

And when I went to Parsons, we took our non-art classes in the New School buildings, and there's this one dingy classroom with HUGE Orozco murals on all the walls. So we'd be sitting there taking "Creative Writing" or whatever while heroic figures of Lenin and Marx towered over us, very weird...

Come to think of it there was a lot of unexpected artwork lurking in obscure rooms and corridors throughout the Parsons and New School buildings... Some of it by top-notch illustrators.

And the Shelburne Museum in Vermont has a few decent Monets and I think some other impressionist gems, if I recall (haven't been in the Shelburne mansion since I was a kid...)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I mentioned this on Facebook the other day. I recently stayed in an hotel in North Wales, an old Victorian 'folly' castle that had been converted. They have a small gallery, and in it are many portraits from the National Portrait Gallery in London, ones they generally don't show, but rather than lock away they 'loan' to places that can take care of them. In the gallery were two Sargents, loads of Frederick Watts and lots of other goodies, in an hotel in North Wales!

Another place to go in New York this time, and is often overlooked as it is now a poncy restaurant for rich businessmen to take their secretaries, is the Cafe des Artistes which has now changed its name to The Leopard at des Artistes. Norman Rockwell and all the gang used to drink and eat there along with Isadora Duncan and Noel Coward, and the walls are decorated with Howard Chandler Christy Murals really worth seeing. I went there with the missus, and we were wearing biker jackets and looked a bit scruffy. They tried to hide us away at the back, but we asked to be seated next to one of the murals and they reluctantly let us. It REALLY was full of rich besuited Donald Trump types, but our money was as good as theirs. They changed a bit when they heard our Brit accents. Funny what that will do sometimes... Go in there and ask for a cup of tea and a bun and stare at all the nudes!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've run across some interesting building sculptures, facades and details from the deco period in out of the way places in Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco. There is a set of killer Deco sculptures up high on an old PG&E (western US power company) building on some little backstreet in souther Berkeley that were really cool. They were the typical deco aesthetic and personification of Power, Light, Energy, Industry...that kind of thing.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @aleyfel. The mural on the restaurant looks amazing, will have to visit one day after I steal a bank lol.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.