Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

What Audio Books Are You Listening To?

I love audio books.

I can listen to my favorite stories while doing any of the numerous things that usually occupy my day without taking away from them.

Listening to the practiced voice of a professional reader can wash away stress and worries.

What are your favorite audio books, and what audio books are you listening to currently?

I am currently listening to The Wheel of Time, book 7. A little long winded and redundant at times, but well written overall I think with an interesting and well thought out world. The author admits to have taken a lot of elements from J.R.R. Tolkein's Middle Earth, but after the first couple of books it stands well apart from the Middle Earth universe.

I have recently listened to:

The Grand Tour by Ben Bova.
    Tiger Tiger!, The Stars My Destination and Demolished Man by Alfred Bester.
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchet.
    The whole Larry Winget library on business, finance, and self impovement.

All together over a thousand hours of listening material, and most of it good.

What about you?
    Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Currently enjoying 'Neuromancer' for the first time. I can see how ahead of it's time it must've been and how it served as the inspiration for more greats like 'Ghost in the Shell' and 'The Matrix'.

Will be listening to 'Dune' next.

A really good narrator is Frank Muller, I think I would listen to anything he read.
    Sadly, he died after a motor vehicle accident.

I really enjoyed the reading of 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings' by Rob Inglis.
    He delightfully sang all the songs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,524 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Tiger Tiger is one of my favourites. It starts out seeming so old fashioned and just keeps changing gears till by the end its amazing.

Was good omens the one with Neil Gaiman? I loved that one as a kid. Must re-read.

I liked the Jennifer Morgue audiobook, the reader guy isnt annoying and the story is lots of fun.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I just finished up Snow crash by Neil Stephenson. It was alright, but seemed like he was way to into his main character, Hiro Protagonist (no joke, hes also the greatest swordsman in the world and a super hacker)

Im going to be finishing up Feast for crows before I jump into any more audiobooks.

@Sepulverture
    : WoT is well written, but I dislike some of Robert Jordans themes. (I dont think its misogyny, but he is really obsessed with gender roles)

@Hunterkiller: Dune is amazing, It still is my favorite science fiction book of all time. I think of it as the Lord of the Rings of Sci-fi. Also How is Neuromancer? I got halfway through the physical book before I stopped.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Metallurgist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallurgist View Post
    Also How is Neuromancer? I got halfway through the physical book before I stopped.
    I'm about 3/4 way through. There are only two different audio versions, I think.
    One read by the author (which is terrible) and one by a professional narrator, forgot the name. Not a particular memorable narration but it's sufficient.
    I plan to read the book later on, especially because at this point in the story I'm finding it hard to follow the events.

Thanks
    @Hunterkiller: Thats one thing I dont really like about "high science fiction" is that they tend to be so wrapped up in themselves they can be hard to follow. Thats why I dont really like any of Iain Banks books, after a point I couldnt tell what the hell was going on.

Edit: also if you like sci-fi there is a really interesting series by Richard K Morgan. The first book is called Altered Carbon. Its read by an awesome guy who I cant remember. But the gist of the story is that in the future, human consciousness is stored in chips, so people can swap bodies easily, and everyone's brain is 'backed up' digitally. The main plot is some rich guy hires a private investigator to investigate his own apparent suicide.
    Last edited by Metallurgist; June 6th, 2012 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    Tiger Tiger is one of my favourites. It starts out seeming so old fashioned and just keeps changing gears till by the end its amazing.

Was good omens the one with Neil Gaiman? I loved that one as a kid. Must re-read.

I liked the Jennifer Morgue audiobook, the reader guy isnt annoying and the story is lots of fun.
    Yes Good Omens was a colab with Gaiman and Pratchet. I want to listen to the Disc World series, but have yet to do so. What is Jennifer Morgue about?

Of course I COULD just google the information, I wonder what fellow CAers think about their audiobooks.

Metallurgist -- That Altered Carbon series sounds interesting.
    page 2

Thanks
    I think somene gave me Altered Carbon for my birthday and I read it and forgot it immediately.

Too much first-person being all cool and tough and streetwise, too many long boring discriptions of made-up weapons, and not enough big ideas.

I guess it would make quite a good Jean Claude Van Damme movie.

I think the whole cyberpunk think has and does date very badly, whereas classic stuff like Cordwainer Smith and Alfred Bester still has the power to shock and awe.

However Ill shut up cos theres already a thread for sci fi nerds on this forum.

Jennifer Morgue is a fun scifi/horror romp by Charlie Stross. Its not too taxing so you can listen while working.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    I don't really listen to audiobooks but friend borrowed me "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley and I might listen to that.

As for the Altered Carbon. I agree that it might feel like a straightforward cyberpunk action sci-fi (except for the changing bodies idea) but at the same time for me it was good break from the future shock I got when reading Charles Stross novels .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah Accelerando is quite a ride. In 2099 itll seem as quaintly old fashioned as From Earth to The moon.
    I thought the quasi-sequel Glasshouse was much more even, and probably my favourite of his books; less lame jokes, more focus on characters and plot, with lots of crazy tech thrown in.
    The Festival in Singularity Sky is one of my fave sci fi concepts tho, especially ins reaction to attack from some pretty serious star destroyer type battleships..
    sorry, i keep talking sci fi, heres the proper classic sf discussion thread...
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=232227

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Just finished listening to Tarzan of the Apes. It was pretty good, despite some unfortunate misunderstandings about racial biology...
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    After finishing listening to "A Dance with Dragons" from George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series, I'm now burned out of fantasy in general. So I picked up Neil DeGrasse Tyson's "Death By Black Hole" book an just finished it. Tyson even rants about inaccuracies in Hollywood movies concerning astronomy.

Now I'm reading, "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand which is about the life of Louis Zamperini and his survival story during WWII.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to iMigraine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    I'm listening to the Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce. I haven't really tried audiobooks before so I wanted to start with a series I was kinda "meh" on so I wouldn't have a great book ruined for me if I decided I didn't like audiobooks. It's not awesomely good but it kinda grew on me.

Since this experiment was a success I'll be going through whatever mysteries the library has in their e-audiobook catalogue.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

23. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Stephen Fry chronicles and Moab is my Washpot.

Stephen Fry's brilliant and lucky.
    Sketchbook (nothing much to look at)

deviantart account(also nothing much to look at)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sumgai83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Still most enjoyed audiobook was Stephen Fry filling my ears with delicious aural honey in the form of a sinfully lengthy whole collection of Harry Potter Novels.

still not sure if i just enjoyed revisiting the story after reading them so long before, or feeling like i was having such a beauteous use of the English language assaulting my senses.

(not a pervert)

(honest)

Aspiring Digital Fantasy Artist
    DEVIANTART BLOGSPOT TUMBLR

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Steamhat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Stephen Kings It. Been listening to it for awhile. Great audiobook, and awesome narrator. If you don't mind long audiobooks i highly recommend, It.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    whats the book like? i always loved the tv movie version with tim curry and john boy walton!

i heard theyre making 2 new IT movies. if they get Chris Pine or Thor guy or New Spock guy or one of them dicks instead of Tim Curry i think ill crawl down a drain and eat children in fury.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nation by Terry Pratchett.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    whats the book like? i always loved the tv movie version with tim curry and john boy walton!

i heard theyre making 2 new IT movies. if they get Chris Pine or Thor guy or New Spock guy or one of them dicks instead of Tim Curry i think ill crawl down a drain and eat children in fury.
    It's hard to say how the book largely differs from the movie. The movie really seems to have captured the essence of the book. I'm almost finished with the audiobook, and i've really enjoyed all the detail that is put into each character.

The book is also a bit less campy than the movie. But the book still has it's moments, like stuttering bill yelling out "Hi ho silver away!", when he rides away on his bicycle but whereas the movie is something like PG13, the book is certainly rated R.

Just a few days ago I heard about the new movie coming out and was a bit surprised. I felt about the same as you, that if they cast some tool to replace Tim Curry i'll probably go live in the sewers for the rest of my life.

But what surprised me the most was the fact that they were even doing a remake. I mean, i get it, but it's surprising. In my opinion, the old movie was so good, i don't really see the need of a remake, and as you said, Tim Curry was so spot on i don't see how they can find someone to top him. We'll see though, maybe they will.

Oh, and something i forgot to mention about the audiobook. The narrator is very good. How he manages to nail all of the characters on such a large cast is beyond me, but he does great. After being almost finished with the book i couldn't imagine it with another narrator. I dont remember the guys name but he does a great job, and when he voices It, there's a definite similarity between his voice as It and Tim Currys. But yeah, the audiobook is great!
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 687 Posts
    Sandstorm: James Rollins, a Sigma Force novel (almost heard them all) and he's coming out with another, Bloodlines this month-

A PK Dick anothology (can't remember which), because I've listened to A LOT, and am waiting for Solar Lottery.

Will check out Neuromancer (hopefully Audible will have it).

Lady, Go Die!: Mickey Spillane/Max Allen Collins

Any Easy Rawlins/Fearless Jones by Walter Mosley novels as long as Michael Boatman doing the reading; Easy & or Fearless. Notice others doing the reading aren't very adept.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

36. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A Song of Ice and Fire: A Storm of Swords.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallurgist View Post
    @Hunterkiller: Thats one thing I dont really like about "high science fiction" is that they tend to be so wrapped up in themselves they can be hard to follow ...

Edit: also if you like sci-fi there is a really interesting series by Richard K Morgan ...
    Yes, I imagine Neuromancer might be quite challenging for anyone without some existing knowledge of that kind of hi-tech premise.
    Despite being a first person narration, I didn't find Neuromancer to be very character driven or intimate.

On the other hand, I had expected Dune would be impersonal and more akin to a history book than a novel.
    I'm glad I was completely wrong. Despite being based around a world of such grand scale and heavily involving political topics, it manages to remain completely personal and character driven.

That other book is enticing indeed.

EDIT: I'm listening to Audible.com's edition of the Dune audiobook. Superb quality, highly recommended.

Thanks
    "Feast for Crows" right now, and before that "Ready Player One."
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Ender saga - by Orson Scott Card.

The first book was pretty cool, bt as the series goes on two things are starting to irritate me. one of the readers has a habit of slowing down at the end of every sentence, and making her voice sound distant. Which sounds similar to sombody trying to voice the sound of falling away while talking. after 5 minutes, the speech pattern gets so incessant I have to skip foward, to the next reader and miss some story.

The second thing is the introduction, and then constant use of religion. I have no problem reading books with religious characters and premis'. I really enjoyed " The pillars of the earth" which featured religious characters, and the setting of a middle age christian chederal-based town.
    But the way Card has used it just feels more like it's a message disguised as a novel. Which made me find out more about Card himself.

Thanks
    On Liberty by John S. Mills
    Crime and Punishment (following it using the book)
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Anything and everything by China Mieville.

Thanks
    Just finished 'To Kill A Mockingbird'. Not bad.

Thanks
    I finished Tiger, Tiger again recently as well. That book is just full of good ideas for illustrations

If you're looking for more books with good visuals to inspire illustrations, check out Liz Williams, especially Snake Agent. I just finished the Daemon series by Daniel Suarez, and it was pretty good. Far-fetched, yet somewhat believable story of a mad genius game designer using his own death to trigger a real world MMO of sorts.

And, of course, Neuromancer by William Gibson and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Someone has surely already mentioned those two, since they're just mandatory reading for any sci-fi fan.
    -: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

Thanks
    I just looked at my Audible listener page and it says there are 171 books in my library
    And that's not counting the librivox books I have also listened to. Right now I'm finishing a Malcolm X bio and next I'm attacking "In defence of food" I have to say "Packing for Mars" is one of the best books I've listened to lately and it contains the kind of stuff that makes me happy I'm an artist and not an astronaut.

Thanks
    This is all cool and exciting. I am about to finish WOT and move on to several of the books suggested here.

I hope to hear more from others still! This is really insightful and helping the build a good library of audio books.
    page 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast