Sketchbook: Anatomy and Architecture
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anatomy and Architecture

Hi all,

For almost 3 years I've lurked, soaking up as much as possible but now I finally feel as if I want to contribute.

I'm in my first year of getting my Masters of Architecture and Landscape Architecture and believe learning to draw quickly, efficiently and effectively is one the best things I can do.
    It will allow me to put ideas on paper as quickly as they form in my head and allow me to better convey these ideas to others (one of the most difficult parts of architecture so far).

Below is a sampling of sketches from my two years of lurking followed by some of the drawings I have done since school let out.

The first two are a random assortment from approximately Oct. 2010-April 2011.
    I like doing 30s gestures because I feel I learn a lot but mostly because I can see improvement day to day (which obviously makes me feel good and keeps me inspired!)
    The second two are from May 26-29, 2012. Working on drawing from life, line work and anatomy. There are many 30s gestures, a 20min self portrait, some interior sketches and studies.

I'll be back tomorrow to post more!
    draw, draw, draw! produce, produce, produce!

MLB

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some stuff from the past week. Got to spend some time in front of Thomas Jefferson's Rotunda drawing the building and people running around on the Lawn. Went wading through a river to find a shady/cool spot to draw under a bridge. Some studies and a sketch of one of the review rooms here at school. Doing a ton of gesture drawings also.

Is there a policy about including photographs in your 'sketch'book?! I'd love to include some of those as that is my other obsession/creative outlet.

MLB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From yesterday!

Decided to post some 30s gestures because I feel I made noticeable progress. (exciting!)
    I am still working on finding shapes and forms but yesterday I noticed I can give a real sense of three dimensions with slight curves/changes in direction of my lines. And also by overlapping the forms and playing with line weights (its seems harder to do this in ink).

Also some sketches of transit in a city from imagination. REALLY difficult right now... Going to give myself a couple days to develop and now that I have it scanned drop it into photoshop and paint! Hell yeah!

5 min city scenes from ref.

And lastly an approximately 45min portrait (ref below sketch)...probably the best I've ever done so I need someone to knock me back down to Earth with a serious crit! And a 20 min photoshop portrait...a lot to learn there... = \

MLB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update for today!

Did a ton of gestures, here are a few. Really working on finding shapes and I think it's already paying off!

Hand studies.

And a 5 min gesture/study.

Will post tomorrow, hope everyone's weekend is great. Look forward to some feedback.

MLB

MY SKETCHBOOK -- Anatomy and Architecture
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=243044

Find me on chess.com
    Username: 10sion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really loving the start to your sketchbook so far, especially the studies of the hands and feet. One thing I noticed is for your portraits the eyes are way too high up the face. They should be located halfway down the skull.

Keep practicing and keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boom!

From life studies. Line work and thumbnail sketches and a 30 minute class on pixelovely. Did a ton of 30s gestures also.

Feeling like I'm improving so I'm happy

Want to get into some environments (why I started with the tonal thumbnails) soon!

Looking forward to any critiques and suggestions!

MLB

Find me on chess.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Big Dump!

Here's my stuff from the past several days. Been working on creating form with tone and failing miserably.

4 Environment studies 10-30min each. Can't seem to separate distinct pieces from each other...everything is blending together in a palimpsest of color.
    Followed by 2 from imagination...

Some pages out of my mini-moleskin from imagination. Got the little guy so I can keep it in my pocket and doodle from my head when bored...proving to be tough.

And pages out of my big sketchbook. All from obs.

30s gestures (didn't scan them all...waayyy too many) and 2min gestures.

That's all for today. Back to work before my boss finds me!

Find me on chess.com

Members who have read this thread: 2