oils on canvas portrait
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question oils on canvas portrait

I need some critique, I already know I failed at what I was trying for which was to try and imitate sergeants style with oils. my reference photo that I used is this http://kxhara.deviantart.com/art/Roy...it-2-209285820

any advise?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you go for sargent you could benefit from reading that.

well youre pretty much bound to fail on that one... brave to try though. fails are good in art because you learn from them. not everything should be made with the aim to show off.

the biggest problem is that the drawing has flaws. the proportions in general are ok, but the form description lacks. eyes aint like that. noses neither.
    the second biggest is that you painted every feature on its own... it doesnt tie together, mainly due to hard edges around all of them.
    values are ok, but color lacks, too monochrome, and this sickish green doesnt look like the best choice neither.

dig into sargent if thats what you want to go for (and i personally think its totally worth it), pay close attention to how much information he is applying with 1 stroke. read the article above.

good luck and have fun .

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    if you go for sargent you could benefit from reading that.

well youre pretty much bound to fail on that one... brave to try though. fails are good in art because you learn from them. not everything should be made with the aim to show off.

the biggest problem is that the drawing has flaws. the proportions in general are ok, but the form description lacks. eyes aint like that. noses neither.
    the second biggest is that you painted every feature on its own... it doesnt tie together, mainly due to hard edges around all of them.
    values are ok, but color lacks, too monochrome, and this sickish green doesnt look like the best choice neither.

dig into sargent if thats what you want to go for (and i personally think its totally worth it), pay close attention to how much information he is applying with 1 stroke. read the article above.

good luck and have fun .
    Thank you very much! I could see what was wrong but I couldn't quite understand what I was seeing at the same time. This is a huge help!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.