Thanks

recruiters for the game industry

hey guys---
    ive recently been on the job hunt in the game industry and one of the places i check every so often is

www.gamejobs.com

i saw some concept art positions open and i sent my stuff to a recruiter at coolgamejobs

im new to this, so my question is--are recruiters a good or bad thing? he told me that i wouldnt be obligated to pay him--that he would receive a finders fee from teh company.

your wisdom on this would be appreciated

ty

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    to be honest, i do not know of one decent game agent or recruiter anymore. Jamie Black from studio-search used to be the best..but she has left the industry.

ive had recruiters lie to me every time trying to get me to take the job. their pay depends on you signing. its like buying a used car. they will sell you whatever cars they got on the lot.

you might get lucky.

to be honest, id rather deal with the clients myself and just ask for more money...recruiters are taking 25 percent fees based on your salary. if you take a job that pays a hundred thousand...the studio has to pay the recruiter 25k on top of your salary. that goes against money you would get as a raise often times...because companies have only so much budget for salaries. once it is spent...its spent.

Deal with them with caution. They sound trustworthy but have always proven to be the other way around.

I had a recruiter send me to a company that closed doors three weeks later. what do they care? all they want is the jing.

j

Thanks
    I took a game art class at my university - we worked together with a game programming class to create an original game. Anyway, a game recruiter from gamasutra came and talked to us near the end of the class to give us some advice about entering the game industry. She basically said that if you were just starting out, like your first job, it really wasn't in your best interest to use a recruiter, for pretty much the reasons Jason said - no matter what the deal is, you end up losing the money you or the company has to pay the recruiter, and more often than not, if it is your first position, it's not that much money in the first place...
    - Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    thanks guys thats exactly what i needed to hear. I got kind of a shady vibe from the interaction, so im not surprised at all.
    jason- your right , id much rather negotiate on my own behalf--im just trying out all my avenues--good to know.

thanks again

ty

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jason Manley
    ...all they want is the jing.
    The jing... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That had me laughin hard. *AH* ANYway- I have had great luck with Robin McShaffrey at Mary-Margaret.

http://www.mary-margaret.com/

Just fo' yo' info.