Polymer clay choice (molds/reproduction)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Polymer clay choice (molds/reproduction)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Polymer clay choice (molds/reproduction)

Hello forum, I'm new to polymer clay and see there are a whole bunch of options. Let me tell you about my project..

I'm intending to make 300 chess-piece size figures. Like chess pieces, they are solid all the way around and relatively low detail.

My processes I believe will be to have three objects: a prototype, a mold, and finishing medium. I'll hand design a prototype, make a mold from that prototype, and then stuff the mold full of finished product medium to start cranking out finish products. I believe this is how I'll move forward, but I'm no pro and don't know if this is completely off base.

My two questions are: what polymer clay to use for prototype, mold, and finish? and if I should use two sided molds and press clay between them or use a one sided mold, get two sides of the finished product and bind them together with liquid polymer clay (sanding down the seem to have a solid look).

I'm currently thinking super sculpey/firm for prototype, super sculpey + sculpey3 mix for two sided mold (mold maker for one sided), and either sculpey 3 or ultralight or a combo there of for the finishing (something soft enough to take to the mold easily, but cures nice and hard)

Thanks for reading through that, and I hope to get some direction.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my apologize if this thread belonged in art discussion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you could use really any sculpey you're comfortable with for the prototype, but why aren't you using silicon molds and resin for the casting process? You won't have to worry then about having to glue two sides together, just close up the mold and pour resin in. The resin cures into a nice solid piece of plastic, all you would have to do is clean up any bits that seeped out of the mold and you'll be good to go.

There's a lot of info regarding casting in the 3D sculpting forum here at CA.org, and also if you do some google searching. Look at how people cast garage kits, since there's a whole mess of experience behind that.

Here's a start for you: http://cast-a-walker.blogspot.com/

Members who have read this thread: 1