Sketchbook: The way Dreams start

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

The way Dreams start

Hello all x: I'm Emily, i'm 24, be 25 next week.

I'm not the best artist, and compared to people on here i cry every time i think about CA. But i thought it was time to bite the bullet and really strive to become better. Because art really is my life. I'm studying to hopefully be an art teacher some day, as i love helping people learn.

Anyway, down to it i guess. I've been drawing since i was younger. Had i kept drawing from life i would've been a much better artist, but drawing humans was an odd concept for me. I guess. So, i've been making strides and leaps and bounds since then. Every single year i improve, which is a good thing.

I know where my struggles are, but i don't know how to overcome them exactly. I look up tutorials and scan other people's pictures to try and figure out what i'm doing wrong. Mainly perspective and anatomy. Although i couldn't color my way out of a paper bag, though i've tried.

So yeah, i need help. I look forward to the words of wisdom ^^; I'm also told i'm too hard on myself, but i can't help it when i see so many mistakes. x.x

As for what i use: Mainly Paint Tool SAI. - but i'll post some of my school work up here, as i love my student work~ *sigh* Why can't summer have art at my school... :c

~Em

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 785 Posts
    Hello, and welcome to CA! I don't have much to say about your work right now as you've already stated you're aware of your weaknesses. There are lots of books out there that can help with perspective and anatomy, and on the subject of anatomy they each have their own method, so try them all if you can. I don't know what kind of an area you live in, but you should check with the libraries near you and see if they have any books you can try out and see if they work for you. And of course your other major resource is studying from life, studying yourself and everything around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingwyld View Post
    i couldn't color my way out of a paper bag, though i've tried.
    Wait, you've actually tried coloring your way out of a paper bag?! Now this I gotta see! XD

Thanks
    Hehe xD Well the bag broke! But yes. :I

Believe it or not i've gotten a lot better with my anatomy. Once i get down to exercises again i'll have to post my drawn from life stuff - I'm not as bad as i make myself out to be. xD But thanks for the looksee, and the advice. I have a few books on anatomy, but sadly nothing so far has helped me with anatomy.

The college i go to has an art section but .... they're mostly all about graphic design and have NO life drawing classes T_T I'm stuck in the Bible belt - in Texas, so nakedness just isn't done. *eyeroll*

Thanks
    Did some sketching today to see how that turned out. xc -- EDIT: I forgot to mention, i also did this in PS! Only reason it's worth mention is because i rarely color or anything in PS any more.

It turned out rather well! I forgot how drawing from life can really make me improve. I need to do it more before i start grabbing from my imagination.

photo ref: http://mjranum-stock.deviantart.com/...as-1-109063422

I'm not really used to painting "without lines" - And don't really think what i do is painting. So i just tried to sketch and then paint over. So far so good, i just can't get the concept right... x.x I always end up having to have a line on the outside, which i'm sure is alllll psychological.

Last edited by Dreamingwyld; June 4th, 2012 at 09:38 PM.

Thanks
    I'm really, really down on myself for my art. A lot. And certain pieces make me wonder if i can do this at all, and then others make me realize i am an artist, i just need to remember that when i draw.... it's art.

I get caught up in commissions, in just giving people what they want and hurrying up so i don't get growled at for taking so long. This is why i have huge lengths of time where i just don't draw. I hate it!

Recently though i'd finished a huge picture for my friend as a thank you for buying lunch - and it happened to be a My Little Pony picture, which i love. I see little things in it that could be fixed, and i'm not great at backgrounds - but i still love it.

My Sketchbook My Tumblr

..My greatest goal in life, with my art, is to reestablish the fact that i find it fun, enjoyable and stress relieving..

Thanks
    A WIP sketch/ink of what i'm working on next. I'm hoping to really show off a bit of what i'm trying to learn about color.

Drawn from a model on DA, but she didn't have the tail or dragon head obviously. Anyhoo, any crits are welcome. I think her arms are a little off x.x

My Sketchbook My Tumblr

..My greatest goal in life, with my art, is to reestablish the fact that i find it fun, enjoyable and stress relieving..

Thanks
    Welcome to CA and happy (early?) birthday!
    I'm sure everyone around here can relate to your frustrations. It's part of the artist's lifestyle, lol.
    As you said in your first post- you gotta draw from life. You certainly don't need a formal class, or even naked people to accomplish this. You can draw life from anywhere. The best habit I picked up from college is carrying a sketchbook with me all the time. Draw at the pub, in the bank line, on the subway, at the mall, draw on the phone, while you wait to get picked up. Just draw anything you come across, dogs, people, trees, cars, books, mugs, bushes- doesn't matter.
    Also, in this sketchbook- only draw in pen. That removes all the time usually spent erasing things- or fixing things. that's wasted drawing time! this sketch sucks? move on. Try again, draw another one. Who cares?!
    Give yourself permission to draw absolute garbage in this book. Maybe you'll like 1/50 sketches. 6 months from now you'll like 1/25 sketches. Then you'll like whole pages, or whole groups of pages.
    Drawing things in your vicinity removes the "what am I going to draw" factor - and instantly boosts the subjects you tackle.
    I would never choose to draw a car 6 years ago because I was so terrible at them. Sketching forced me to confront those weaknesses and now I actually enjoy painting cars. - who knew!

In the meantime, if you know your struggling with a particular area, like perspective- force yourself to do the boring beginner exercises. Draw cubes and perspective grids. Work on the mechanics of drawing - not drawing fun things, or subjects that you enjoy.
    It sucks, and it's frustrating, but it's worth it .

On a side note, CA tends to have a bit of a hate-on for DA. so you'll get far more traffic and comments if your subject matter is more traditional, or game oriented -- but there is a smaller group of us cartoonists and animation folks. the best way to get comments is by commenting on others sketchbooks, especially people who have similar genre interests.

Happy sketching

Thanks
    Rhubix - Thank you :3 I'm always drawing too, and i love drawing in pen. I need to scan more of my hand drawn stuff. xD Also need to challenge myself more, so maybe exploring game stuff will help me.

Also, why the hate for DA? o-O I mean i'm not a huge fan, but it's there, so why not.

My Sketchbook My Tumblr

Thanks
    Well i finished that kneeling picture~

I kept trying over and over to do more to it, and really like the outcome of it. Only thing is i haven't put a set coloring technique on anything. x.x Either way, learning all this was fun. I'm still going to struggle hard with coloring and how to go about it, but until then i'll just keep trying new things i suppose!

About the WIP and such:
    I'm glad i decided to blend that lighter color and the darker i had. Those layers were so different, but i put them together and it looks really nice. Still, it's two ways of coloring slapped together, but hey, it's always a work in progress with me. x.x

My Sketchbook My Tumblr

Thanks
    you have some pretty good stuff going on here, but you also need to draw from life as others have said. The more you draw from life, the less "awkward" your figures become. Also, good job on the MLP picture, that really stands out as a great piece composition-speaking.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamingwyld View Post
    Rhubix
    Also, why the hate for DA? o-O I mean i'm not a huge fan, but it's there, so why not.
    CA really tries to be a constructive forum, where people point out each others weaknesses and push one another to grow . DA has a tendency to pass around a lot of complements, and sometimes members have trouble acclimating.
    There have been more than a few episodes where DA transfers have gotten grossly offended by harsh (but entirely valid) criticism, or they've completely resisted the idea of exploring traditional studies, anatomy, or life drawing - which is, quite honestly, the quickest way to improve.

from experience I know you'll get more traffic - and hopefully useful criticism, on your sketchbook with more traditional work

In the mean time, you should definitely post your hand-drawn work. Looking at rough free - sketching is my favorite part of the sketch book forum

Cheers!

Thanks
    Zephyrion - Thanks! And i didn't even think about the awkwardness. It's so silly that i haven't thought of it, but i don't know how a human moves. At least not really - and comparing my life drawings to some of my imagination ones... you're completely right XD -- And thank you on the MLP comment, i was experimenting hard with shadow and it came out how i wanted for once~

Rhubix - OHhhh i see now. Well that's just silly. I can take constructive critique no problem, hell that's all art school is. I have known people like that though, they think they are the best in the world, and don't want you to point out anything. Bugs me. It's the only way to improve XD;; but thank you for all your tips, i'll get scanning today! :3

My Sketchbook My Tumblr

Thanks
    Phew... been a busy few days. Even then! Only got this sketch out. I need to kinda... start sifting through my WIP and start working on more. Drawing more helps when i don't have a block :I

Anyhoo, here's another faerie. A nude one because i couldn't think of clothing at the time. :p

My Sketchbook My Tumblr

Thanks
    Phew! A new semester brings in a slew of sketches. I'm going to have to re-find the ones from my first project at school, but this second one i have plenty to show. hopefully i'll get my prints in to show as well.

To sum this all up: I'm in Printmaking I at my college, and so far i've done monoprints. We're working on dry point, which i hope is more amazing. >>; But i do love monoprints too. They're fun~ I just have issues with registration D; But that comes with practice. c:

Anyway, enjoy the sketches, and sorry for the long time no post~

To make a note of things, the headshots were not part of my monotype sketching. And we did have a theme. This theme was "where does life begin". Our teacher wanted everything to be political, but many have taken spiritual aspects of the themes. Me? Pretty girls. xD Also, the cat ears on the 2nd concept picture was all my girlfriend's fault xD;

The witch sketch is going on my dry point (Theme: Migration), we're using Plexi for it! So it should be fun for all x.x oohhh that noise... T-T

Last edited by Dreamingwyld; October 25th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.

My Sketchbook My Tumblr

Thanks
    Not much to say here. But i did get pictures of my 3 color monotype set.

They're rough, and the one on the left was the first i'd done and the right was my second. Really, i just need practice with the registration. Either way, i love my second print.

The printing process is amazing, really rough at times, and the press is difficult x.o But i like it. Especially working with the ink how you can... so awesome! I keep telling myself i'll go through all my options before selecting printmaking as a focus >>;

BTW: official title of this one was "kick in, fall out"

My Sketchbook My Tumblr

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.