Trying to finish painting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trying to finish painting

Hello!

Would appreciate any crits on how I could make this painting look more finished (well aside from rendering it more, I'm going to have to do that too) Or if anything looks wonky with her pose and the like.

I always leave my paintings at this sketchy stage since it's hard for me to get past it somehow..

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by znoddas; June 3rd, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My biggest thing is just that with her face and her pose, it almost looks like she just fell asleep mid-step :p Unless that's the effect you were going for, you might want to do something about that. Her upper body and feet are angled in different directions, and I think that's where some of the weirdness might be coming from. Opening here yes just a bit could help too.

Sketchbook
    Too awesome for possums.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, I kinda like it as it is now. It's "sketchy" but that gives it some energy. Good composition too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steph has a point. She does look like she's sleeping, and that may just be because of her closed eyes. I like the relaxed pose, and I also agree with Humboldt that it's got a great energy to it. Why are her eyes closed while she walking through a forest environment? Is she actually leaning against the tree?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okey, looks good, but as always, everything can be improved

General proportions: Her head is 184 pixels heigh and her body is around 1229 pixels tall (hard to tell without being able to see the feet). She is 6.7 heads tall, so almost standard.

Bodypart by bodypart then:
    Head: Looks ok except for the shadow that falls over her face, it seems to me to form an incorrect shape, might just be me though.
    Arms: A-ok.
    Upper torso: To thin. A normal human body is around two heads wide, scapula and shoulders not whit standing. Her upper body is very much to thin.
    Lower torso: If your going for a fantasy motif you might get away with it, but realistically speaking, unless she is wearing a corset under that thing her waist is a bit too large.
    Crotch: Hard to tell really, it seems kind of... wonky, like its twisted the wrong way or something.
    Legs: Here comes trouble. Your large waist is giving you trouble here I think, and thus it seems like your making the legs smaller than they should be and they seem to become smaller the lower I look.
    Feet: I cannot see them, which is a problem. It makes her look floaty, having feet grounds us, much like a shadow, it would also solve the problem of the character looking like her legs sticking out in odd directions I think.
    Hands:Looks good, maybe a tad too short on her left hand, but its hard to tell. The bow on the other hand... Unless she is supposed to lie down while she fires it (using her feet to push the bow away from her) or its supposed to protrude above her (in which case she is holding it upside down) then it looks like it would drag in the ground while she fired it.

But still very cool and a lot of flair in it, keep up the good work.

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stephonatron - I wanted her to look relaxed yeah, but it's maybe too much if it looks like she's sleeping hahah. Tried opening up her eyes a bit, but I liked how it looked when she had them closed so I'll leave it like that. Tried changing the pose of her arm so her pose looks more natural though, hope it worked

humboldt squid - Well I'm glad you like it, thank you!

Graive - She wasn't meant to be leaning on the tree or anything, just wanted her to look relaxed I tried changing her arm, does the pose look more natural now?

Tony Meijer - Woah thanks a lot man, I looked through the painting and changed everything I could Had a hard time drawing her legs during the whole process, guess I should study legs more, heh!

Maybe it's just me but it feels like she needs more space to the left now.....? The composition felt a little better before I changed her arm, I'll.... probably change it back or try out another solution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it just needs something to bring together the composition. You have a lot of shapes, but the general feel is grey, red and reddish brown, and none of the shapes except the sun really point to a focal point (I'm guessing her head?). The combination draws a lot of attention away from your character. Maybe try either redrawing a few of the branches, or adding another color in the background like yellow or blue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's probably it.. Also kinda feels like there's too much going on on her left side? Added and removed some branches from the background as well as adding some space to her left, hope it worked out... Feels a little better at least. Thanks for the crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA okay I tried playing around with her expression instead - hopefully it doesn't look like she's having a nice dream or the like.. I don't know how to change the angle of her body without redoing everything though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by znoddas View Post
    Tony Meijer - Woah thanks a lot man, I looked through the painting and changed everything I could Had a hard time drawing her legs during the whole process, guess I should study legs more, heh!
    Well, yes and no. As I alluded in my previous post the problem starts with her pelvis being odd. I strongly recommend you do a study of the pelvis as a bone and then build up from there. In short, to get a pose right you generally need to get the feet, shoulders and waist correct and thats the three areas where you seem weakest.

Also, your feet, now that they are visible, are to short. A foot is about the length of your humeral bone (the upper arm if your not fluent in anatomy ).

But you seem to be making progress, do another image and give me a ping and I'l take a look at it.

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the crits man, it's really helpful Haven't drawed much lately but I tried studying how to draw the lower part of the body a bit more in the past days, will continue with that!

Gave up the painting before, but here's another one I'm working on if anybody feels like pointing out faults or something haha! I was stupid enough to not draw out her body before starting the painting, so there's probably a lot of faults with the anatomy...

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  356.6 KB

Last edited by znoddas; June 23rd, 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your colourpalette is gorgeous girl ... the way you used red in all these brownish variants in the archer piece really caught my eye for quite a while ^^. no crits from my side for your style is rather unique and thus hard to compare to so called "standards" ... just wanted to tell you that you rock

No skill still isn't a new side.
    ~ Arnold Böcklin

Visit my sketchbook-gallery kinda thing ...

Members who have read this thread: 1