Art: Eduardo Garay Portfolio

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Eduardo Garay Portfolio

Hi! im Eduardo but its to long so you can call me Eddy if you want.
    Im studying at the superior art school of my region in Spain.
    But, in the school didnt teach anything about digital or even traditional paint (so sad) so when it comes to painting im self taught.
    I began to practice with painting in november 2011, and now with the summer almost here i can dedicate all my hours to drawing/painting.
    Someday, i would like to work in as illustrator and maybe (in a far future) as concept artist.

Here is some things i did in this time:

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

some studies:

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

landscapes:

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

I really need to improve my rendering, values, anatomy, etc...

So any feedback is very welcome.
    Another problem of mine is, sometimes i get bored of what im doing and i rush the picture, with bad results, mostly. xD

Oh, and im new here, hi all!

Last edited by EduardoGaray; June 5th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Eddy, nice start! You have almost already a good technique for a beginner. There are major issues in anatomy and perspective though and you need time to learn composition. Anyway i'm like you, being bored by the piece is a common issue and everyone have his own methods against it. Personally i do 2 things, first one i'll stay under 3 hours no matter what, having a strict schedule helps me to stay focused and think fast and the painting will stay more natural. Second one i do 2 or 3 drawings at the same time, sounds hard but it's not, you just need to watch the time and develop every picture at the same level. I've done this techniques combined together to learn perspective drawing back in time and i endup doing a set of 3 picture in bw for 1 hour maximum (20 minutes each one). It was tough but i had a lot of fun and that month i've done more than 100 drawings.

Being bored about the picture can be either something really hard to fight with or something you can learn to use at your advantage, you only need the will to learn

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Hitsu! i will try your method
    I have lots of characters i want to do.
    By the way i have some books about anatomy, some of them are very good, but none of them speaks about a... daily routine? (i wish my english was better )
    or maybe daily exercises?
    Anyways, i will keep this thread updated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A daily exercise for anatomy? This could be tricky if you don't have a model. Someone might tell you to copy from photos but i think it's not the best way to learn. You need someone that can help you for poses and joints. You can learn muscles by anatomy books but to learn how those muscles works together under the skin you need a model and you really need to learn to draw in 3d cause drawing a body it's not like drawing a still life, you need to draw "what's there" and not "what you see" because muscles changes the shape of the body when moving under the skin. So you need to learn major muscles form and how they works and then you need to have someone that shows you in real life how muscles looks under the skin in positive and negative (contracted or relaxed). Obviously you can choose to work on legs for a copule of days and after you've seen what muscles defines legs shapes you ask your model to pose for a copule of photos and so on with other muscles groups.

This is the most practical and efficient way to learn anatomy for drawing purpouse. I warn you from now that probably the most difficult parts will be the joints (where muscle groups merges together) like hips, shoulders, neck, wrists, ankles, elbows and knees. Don't forget to practice on all of them after you made all the muscles goups.

You can learn a good degree of anatomy if you already know how to draw in 3d in about a month of daily practice this way. Pretty convenient huh? (Also remember that you don't need at all to be precise about drawing muscles details when you study the groups cause under the skin you don't see em, just learn the shapes)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see, well, for the moment practice with a model isnt an option.
    But i see your point thanks.
    Btw, what do you think about practice with a 3d model? (maybe one who allow you to see the model from skeleton, to muscles to skin?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your model could be everyone, a girlfriend, a friend, a brother, yourself (why not if you have a good photocamera). If you know a 3d software or model with muscles that works like the real thing with movements then ok (i think it would be great even for me!) but you will lost A LOT of time positioning your 3d model instead of drawing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, i see i think i misunderstood you earlier
    ok, i will try the two options.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

some studies:

selfportrait:

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

movie study:

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

master study:

Eduardo Garay Portfolio

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.