Critique please! :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critique please! :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critique please! :)

I've been watching alot of FZD lately and I think this picture turned out alot better because of it. I even think it has a bit too much of his handwriting? I'd love to hear some critique on it Thank you!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is online now Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you need to pay more attention to fundamentals. The perspective is off for the cliff edge the rock shape in the pool and figures shadows. The light is coming from the pool pay more attention to how that would affect the surroundings. A little atmosphere Color/hue shift) would help with scale and distance. overall color variety is weak. It is especially distracting for the sky with same color planet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okey, I have two points that I think you can improve upon.

First one is a lack of story. The character on the left points at the structure on the right (which is good, since we tend to read images from the left to the right), but it leads to nowhere. The structure on the right tells me very little, the guy who points might just as well be pointing at a puppy obedience school rather than the alien structure I think you are going for.

Second it is for me a rather bland image, the colours are rather a mute blend and I think the image would do well if you pushed the values a bit.

Thats what I would suggest at least.

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Meijer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot for your advices, I'm always happy to learn!

@dpaint: with cliff edge I assume you mean the circle shaped cliff around the alien structure. Now that you say it I see it lies above the horizon line so one shouldn't be able to see at it so much.
    I think the left guys shadow should be pushed a little bit up and flattened.
    Maybe the two rocks in the foreground should be lit from below, too?
    I don't understand how to fix the perspective issue on the rocks in the pool, I'm sorry...

I hope I got you right so far!

@Tony Meijer: Thanks! I will try and put more information into my selling point next time.

Now I didn't fix the perspective issues but I would really like to get more into the colours! I improved the values (it really looked so washed out before, I just didn't see it!), increased the amount of blue and the saturation of the pool.

dpaint said I should vary the colour palette more but I found that changing the sky to a green/blue tone makes it too cold, I want the atmosphere to look kind of heatened up and poison-ish. Any suggestions? Or was the increase of bluetones enough?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercurrent View Post
    dpaint said I should vary the colour palette more but I found that changing the sky to a green/blue tone makes it too cold, I want the atmosphere to look kind of heatened up and poison-ish. Any suggestions? Or was the increase of bluetones enough?
    I have three suggestions for you on that regard, first of try to add a little bit of yellow or orange into the atmosphere. Second, the planet (or moon) is a good focal point, so you might want to consider putting some other colour than green into it, like red or perhaps white.

Now, lastly, try looking into this nifty little tool to get a good colour composition.

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that's one impressive tool. Thanks for the link!
    I added orange (it seems so logical to do, I'm ashamed I didn't think of that before...) and made the moon more prominent.

But I think I shouldn't spend more time on that piece and move on before I make it even more terrible... Anyway thank you alot for your time, this was really helpful and interesting!

One last call which version is the best and why would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Undercurrent; June 3rd, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1