Sketchbook: Halfdolla Mc's Dreaded sketch Thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Halfdolla Mc's Dreaded sketch Thread

Hi all, my names Rich, I've been a long time lurker and now its about time I started posting some of my drawings and hope to get some feedback, I started drawing a few years ago, well the year 2008 is the year I said to myself I'm going to learn how to draw, As like everyone else, I had done a few hand paintings and always tried to color inside the lines when I was a kid, and I mean taking drawing more seriously then a few scribbles a year.

Anyway back then I had no idea what I was getting myself into as I had no drawing/painting or art schooling or even artist friends, and I learnt fast that it really is a long winding road of self discovery, in the beginning I got those "how to draw" manga/comic/dragon Jon Hart books lol, until I found this site that really has been my tutor and has shown me the right direction to head.

I should have started a sketchbook back then, but the first couple of years I suppose I was more once a week draw, then a few hours everyday that I do now...I'm happy with my progress, I love drawing its therapeutic and relaxing, and then those times when you go wow I've gone up a level, I love the process and like everyone, I want to get better sooner and I know I will in time but for now I'll keep plodding along...

At the mo I have problems finishing drawings and focusing on a particular area of study (jump around alot) i.e perspective/value, and I really cant say that I've finished many drawings, I always have ideas, or some wonderful mistake happens but I'll only take it so far and thats it, on the scrap heap any help there would be very much appreciated...anyway thanks for looking I will try to post at least once or twice a week, these pics are some I had on my PC, I've got boxes of printer paper drawings/doodles/studies that I'm not going to bother trying to scan so anything new from now on I will post...
    crits alway welcome...cheers Rich

Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Last edited by halfdolla; April 20th, 2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: wall upon wal of txt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k heres a few drawings I did, man what a lot of work scanning, cropping images I even took a couple of photos, cause my scanner must be cheap crap, don't at all look how they do on paper, must be doing something wrong? anyway I've decided that I totally suck at drawing heads/faces they all look like Dobby from Harry Potter so I will concentrate on that for awhile, and get into a lot more still life drawing...thanks for dropping bye...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work

Hit enter a few times in that huge wall of text that is your first post in this thread lol

Lurking and Learning!
    The Long Road Sketchbook - Watch as i start my journey to become a 2D Artist from the very start!
    My DeviantArt Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha yea damn wall of txt no one could get in, thanks cdavidson, also forgot a couple of pics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome aboard mr. I like the studies you have posted so far, espc the gemoetric shapes, its basic but so so helpful in the learning process. My only advice would be try and separate your values a bit more in terms of the lights and darks and try and think about the the reflective ligt a bit more and the depth of the cast shadow

here is a quick web link that breaks it down nice and easy. I am sure you hve gone over this but its always good to keep referring back and seeing if your tackling these elements in your own work

http://michaelnewberry.com/mentor/Tu...ght/light.html

Like you ale torso studies you have a good eye for rendering muscle, just seems you have added muscle in places that don't exist on the arms, so maybe a few studies that are more realistic and less stylised would be helpful just to cement the anatomical structures in your mind.

The leaves are amazing mr, you have a very nice way of rendering lost of subtley there and really god blending keep it up and have fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay for starting a sketchbook! I love that all the sketchbooks start out with people getting over the intimidation factor. I work with people who make a living as artists and they still wont create a sketchbook. Once you jump in it's really not so bad
    Those rock and leaves in the first post really stand out so far. I think they're the strongest pieces.
    As Ja1307 mentioned, some anatomy studies are a good place to wander into. You've got a bit there, and I'll throw my vote in for that.
    CA seems to be like a Loomis fan club, so you'll see a lot of advocacy for his books. Personally I'm a big Bridgeman fan, because his stuff is so geometrical, and I tend to be a logic-minded type. Joseph sheppard, also has a good book for a more traditional approach.

as for this big:
    At the mo I have problems finishing drawings and focusing on a particular area of study (jump around alot) i.e perspective/value, and I really cant say that I've finished many drawings
    I think the only solution is stubborn effort. At work I can finish assignments without any hesitation- I suppose it's the impending unemployment and starvation that motivates me. Personal stuff I rarely finish at all. There's always four or five million other projects that I want to start, or real life that gets in the way.
    Sometimes you just have to sit yourself down and make yourself do it.

But if you find a magical solution to that, please let me know!

Anyways, welcome to team sketchbook! Happy sketching

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are good, just try to apply them to your personal work a lot. Sometimes I see people (including what I used to do) just mindlessly do studies, drawing without really thinking and observing. When you study it's more about understanding than anything.

A ton of people suggest Loomis many suggest Bridgman like Rhubix above did
    Personally I prefer Vilppu (which I'm about to do some studies of myself lol)

I'm not sure if it's an error, I think it's legit.
    But Villpu has his drawing manual on google books for free.
    I'd really suggest checking his stuff out. Deceptively simple exercises
    yet if you can master them you'll learn tons.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-1s...opage&q&f=true

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for the replies, yep I guess you could call me a Bridgman fan as well I do like his simplified forms he makes it look so easy, I do own his complete guide not the best of his books, but will put more work into it, also thnx for the links those will help heaps got to love Vilppu as well, did a egg study in graphite, scanned it looked like crap lol so wont be posting that also did a orange in PS prob bout 30mins, not good with colours but came out not to bad... anyway will post more soon thanks...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, hows it going time to post a few more drawings, this week been doing a lot of head/face studies mainly on printer paper, Man what a mess, the (construction) head drawings sometimes look ok, and others just look so fake, that learner type head, lol I so want to break from that, on the other hand(observation drawing) been drawing my wifes head/face when she lets me, and thats seems to be paying off, actually getting a likeness lol a few proportion/measurement problems but getting close...anyway not going to scan any of those drawings yet, cause my scanner suxs, getting my old one out of storage, way better then this piece of crap new scanner, anyway also did a few skull/value studies in PS, the last skull came out the best, blocking in the big value colours is the way to go, instead of a line drawing, and did a few Peter Han exercises suppose to do it on toned paper, have none so been trying it on PS...thanks for looking, all crits welcome...cya next time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all long time no post, so much for me posting once or twice a week lol... ok heres a bunch, been doing a lot of perspective lately as well as quick photo studies of clothes and a few Sargent studies, I love his Paintings and drawings he makes it look so easy, his use of line/strokes just a touch here a smear there hey presto, ah to be that good...

Also been doing head studies and going through the Vilppu Head videos as well as self portraits, they been helping heaps, can see a vast improvement on my head construction still need a tonne of work but getting there, just a couple of million head drawings to go lol, I so wish I had a skull would make a huge difference, oh well got to invest in one for sure. anyways have a gander let me know what ya think I'm always open to crits...thanks

oh yeah theirs a Sargent Painting Ref that i changed to greyscale amongst my stuff, I'm sure you can spot the difference lol if you cant I think you need to go back to the basics...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been well over a year and a half, just a quick update, just to show where I'm at, still plodding along, slowly improving.
    I'm also doing the Start-Composition 1.1 to help with my Compo and values.

these are just some random drawings I took with my phone, I'm still in that study mode, so I really dont have much finished works, I end up not liking my finished drawings after a few weeks so I end up just trying to improve instead.
    thanks for looking.

Name:  photo ref2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  107.8 KB

Members who have read this thread: 6