Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One year of frustration

Thanks

One year of frustration

Hello Conceptart Community,

I just registered on conceptart.org so I want to say who I am fast (this is not an introduction).
    I am 16 years old, my name is Thorben and I want to get serious about art.
    Since I'm young I was somehow always the best pupil in school art classes (now I know this isn't hard ). I thought I'm very good at art and last year I decided to become serious about art and eventually work as an artist someday (which would be my dream).
    So I started watching videos on youtube... I was simply amazed and even more motivated to do things like that.
    Of course I was more than confident that I can do that too. But after I tried it I had to admit that I'm not as good as I thought I am. I noticed that I don't know much about art. I looked for tutorials.. but I couldn't find any that were for my level.
    I tried drawing something.. noticed that I'm just too bad, got frustrated and stopped.
    Now I finally realized, even if it makes me sad, that I have to learn basics. I looked for them but I just couldn't find them. I found a course about drawing the human figure and I'm still doing it, but that's all. I don't know what else I can practice. I feel pretty frustrated by that.
    So here is my question:
    Can anyone tell me what to practice?
    What helped you to become as good as you are now?
    Maybe my problem seems so idiotic for some of you but it stops me from practicing. Sure some of you might say now..: Draw anything and you'll get better.. but just practice.
    Please do post exactly what I should do. It would make me so happy. I think it's just this first step that I need to go but I don't know how.

Best regards,

Thorben

(If you say: Use google, I already did)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    First and foremost you need to take a breath. You are 16. I have underwear older than you. Give yourself some room and time to experience life while you learn. Plenty of people will start chiming in and telling you where to access specific info. But don't forget to live as you learn and a sixteen year old cannot be hard on himself because you haven't had time to do anything yet.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,022 Posts
    I tried drawing something..
    Do that.
    .. noticed that I'm just too bad, got frustrated and stopped.
    Don't do that. Of course you're bad. How do you think you're supposed to get good?
    (If you say: Use google, I already did)
    Read a book.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    While you're taking a breath...try to open yourself up to the idea that there is no "exactly what you should do"...or rather it is so braod it doesn't matter. There is a vast world out there in visual art...it's huge, and everyone finds their palce in it their own way.

Books and magazines will be your best guides for a few years, until you can get into some advanced, college level or professional level courses. Jim Gurney's "Imaginitive Realism" is an excellent one shot book to own to give you some insight into professional illustration. He also talks a bit about many other things and has three pages of recommended reading.

If I had one general recommendation it would be to start becoming aware of the fundamentals that go into all artwork: composition, accurate drawing of forms and perspective, value, edges, texture and color. It takes many years to get a handle on how all that comes together so don't think it will happen this summer. Just learn and study what interests you and follow the artists who inspire you.

If you're interested enough in art you'll find your way.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Maybe I'm just frustrated because my skill didn't increase over the past year. Of course I do not expect to be a professionel yet lol. I know that it takes many years. I just want to see that my work pays off and that I see results.
    What I mean by that is that I don't know how to improve. Maybe this is my problem?
    I need things to practice where I can see reults.
    For example.. when I started the course about drawing humans I couldn't draw any human realistically.. but now I can, because I followed a course and this helped me tons.
    When I do other stuff I don't follow any rules and I think because of that I can't improve.
    I think this is a better description of my problem or at least it makes more sense to me lol.
    So do you know any guides on the internet or in magazines that will increase my skill?

I really have a hard time to express my problem because I'm only learning english in school, sorry.

Books and magazines will be your best guides for a few years
    Any other Books/magazines you recommend?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoam View Post
    Any other Books/magazines you recommend?
    You got a lot of years and a lot of time to research. There are sticky threads in this forum that link to books and resources. Please don't just stick around on "Art Discussion" forum and expect to find all the information or have it handed to you. Please try looking at the other forums this site has to offer.

Thanks!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    You got a lot of years and a lot of time to research. There are sticky threads in this forum that link to books and resources. Please don't just stick around on "Art Discussion" forum and expect to find all the information or have it handed to you. Please try looking at the other forums this site has to offer.

Thanks!
    Thanks, I will do that. I just hoped that some people can tell me some of them which fits to my situation

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    They ALL fit your situation right now.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    They ALL fit your situation right now.
    Well I'm sure there are guide which are way to hard for me and I wouldn't get any results so that in the end it would be just a waste of money.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Well, if it helps any, some of the books on the reading list sticky that would be especially good for basics might be:
    All the Loomis books
    Bert Dodson "Keys to Drawing"
    The Deborah Rockman "Drawing Essentials" book (actually, I'm not sure this one is on the list... but it gets recommended a lot...)

...though of course it wouldn't hurt to check out any that you think look interesting.

One thing, don't expect to see instant "results" from anything. Learning to draw takes time, and most of the time your progress will be very gradual. A lot of the time you might think you're getting nowhere, and you'll only notice "progress" when you look back at your old work. Sometimes you'll have breakthroughs, but most of the time it's slow and gradual...

It can be frustrating, you just have to keep going.
    Last edited by QueenGwenevere; June 1st, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Start hanging around here. Open up a sketchbook and post your work. You'll meet artists of all skill levels that can be very helpful here. You could also put your work up for critique and get specific input on individual pieces (be prepared to hear stuff you don't want to hear... it's good for you.).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoam View Post
    Thanks, I will do that. I just hoped that some people can tell me some of them which fits to my situation
    Your situation is that you're young and you have a lot to learn

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 473 Posts
    One year of frustration
    Just one?
    I'd say you are doing great!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast