Photoshop openGL problem: cannot rotate canvas

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Photoshop openGL problem: cannot rotate canvas

Hello! having a few problems with photoshop and having difficulties getting one of the features to work again. The Rotate view tool (R) used to work with my copy of photoshop CS6, that is untill i updated my graphics drivers. Now it refuses to work correctly, giving me the following error message:
    "could not complete your request because it only work with OpenGL enabled document windows."

I*ve already checked under Edit> Preferances> Performance and OpenGL is turned on. I did have a look around, but i cant seem to find a fix for it. I don't really want to roll back the graphics drivers iv i can get away with it, but i may have to at this rate. Any advice guys?

below is a system spec. If you have any questions feel free to ask, its not an urgent problem just something id like to get back working if i can get away with it.

AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (Driver version 8.961.0.0)
    3.25 Gigs DDR3 RAM
    Windows vista 32 bit (fully updated)
    AMD Athlon(tm) X2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Same boat as you, I think the latest AMD drivers screwed up something in regards to Photoshop recognizing if it had OpenGL or not.

I ended up rolling back the drivers for now. AMD does frequent enough updates you can try updating in another month or two to see if the problem has been resolved. It's honestly not worth the hassle of trying to find a workaround if rolling back will do the trick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry

i have the same problem but only partially.
    i experienced this since i bought a wacom cintiq 12wx and i am not able to use opengl features when i open a document while the PS window is displayed on the cintiq, despite of the facts that the opengl drawing option is always turned on (wtf).
    i'll explain better:
    about a month ago i bought a cintiq 12wx an started suffering of this issue since then on PS cs5. first i thought it was my pc, 4yo machine, that couldn't handle opengl and 2 monitors at the same time.
    a week ago i bought a new pc due to replace the old one and i thought that i could try PS cs6:
    sys spec:
    intel i7-2600K 3.4GHz, Gskill DDR3 32Gb ram 1600MHz, sapphire amd ati radeon hd7970 oc 3Gb vram gddr5 (10gb dedicated to PS when running), asus p8z77-le motherboard, crucial ssd m4 128Gb sata3 (where i installed PS cs6) and win7 ultimate 64bit. all drivers installed and up to date.

now, i do believe that the problem is not the hardware since i am using this new pc but PS itself because the cs is the 6 (before i had 5) and still the problem persist. if i run PS and check the settings is everything ok, when i open a document or create a new one in my main screen (not the tablet) everything works fine, i only have to drag the window to the tablet and go. but if i create a document while PS is displayed in the tablet, it says that opengl features must be enabled, even if performance settings says that these features are on.
    now, first of all sorry for the long post but had to explain at my best. second, if anyone has the same issue or the solution please reply, i'm really pissed off that adobe still didn't fixed such a little but still annoying bug.

TL,DR:
    PS cs6, beast pc, win7 x64, drivers up to date, dual monitor with cintiq 12wx, everything fine when creating a document with window on main monitor, disabled when creating with window on cintiq, opengl in both cases says "enabled", but PS tell me (when on cintiq) that it must be set on "enable (wtf)". further details above.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It DOES sound like a hardware issue...sorta. Common denominator between these three cases so far are AMD graphic cards. It really does seem like the latest driver builds screwed something up, so the best option available until an updated driver fix comes along is to roll back your drivers. Complaining to Adobe won't do anything, since they'll just bump you over to AMD saying "It's their problem, not ours," which for once is actually true.

By the by, with CS6 is it actually native 64-bit now for windows? I remember there being a fuss when CS5 (or was it 4) came out and Adobe saying that they weren't going to support 64-bit for windows because it was too much of a hassle for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonzola View Post
    Common denominator between these three cases so far are AMD graphic cards.
    it may be. did you downgraded the drivers and did it work?
    if yes, what version do you have? i have the catalyst 12.4 updated at the 1st of june version.

By the by, with CS6 is it actually native 64-bit now for windows?
    well, with my old machine i had win7 32 bit and PS cs5 32 bit, now PS cs6 64bit with win7 64bit, in the setup of the cs6 i had 2 options: PS cs6 x64 or x86, i left checked only the 64 bit version as i see no need to have the 32bit one installed only to take dust. maybe one of these days i'll try installing the 32bit version, just to see if something changes.

and, btw, seems that PS have fun changing my cursor size from standard arrow to xl arrow when launched

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I downgraded the drivers and everything reverted back to normal. I have to double-check my computer when I'm home to see what driver version it is, but I remember it's definitely earlier than the June 1st version (I ran into the problem like May 27th or something like that). I'll see what version it is and post here later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx man.
    anyway i'm already planning to downgrade at the 12.3 because of random blackscreens when starting games, 80% probably driver related issues.
    i'll update as soon as i have news

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem.

So the Catalyst control center version that I have is 12.3. Here's all the info gleaned from my driver:

Driver Packaging Version 8.95-120214a-134393C-ATI
    Catalyst Version 12.3
    Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1235
    2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0894
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.11554
    Catalyst Control Center Version 2012.0405.2205.37728

Under my device manager, it says that the driver the graphics card is using is Driver Version 8.950.0.0 so hopefully that may help out too.

Hope that helps you out! Hopefully AMD gets this sorted and we won't these issues much longer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    catalyst says this:

Driver Packaging Version 8.961.3-120524a-139456E-ATI
    Catalyst Version 12.4
    Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1243
    2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0904
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.11631
    Catalyst Control Center Version 2012.0524.1614.27160
    Driver audio amd 7.12.0.7706

device manager says that the card is using 8.961.3.0 driver of 24/05/2012

i see no problems or something wrong here, maybe it is screen related issues with the drivers.

[little OT]
    for the black screen i tried other configurations of screens such as:
    - main on hdmi without the cintiq: seems to work fine, i've been able to play for like 2hrs without problems at crysis, the witcher, metro and bench with the unigine heaven3 at max settings, no framerate oscillation, black screen or such. any other program works fine (PS works good, exept for the opengl issue).
    - main on dvi without the cintiq: able to play 30 min at crysis just for test, black sceen while playing then. programs works fine as described in the line above
    - (willing to test) main on hdmi with cintiq on dvi

Current config: cintiq connected via hdmi to dvi adapter and main screen via dvi with dvi to vga adapter. i know this is a horrible config but i'm waiting to get a new screen, 24'' fullHD asus for example but i'm not sure what i should buy because i have a little problem.
    as my VC have only one dvi output, 1 hdmi and 2 mini i have to connect the cintiq via dvi directly and the monitor via hdmi. the issue is that i need a monitor with 2 hdmi input as i have the xbox connected via hdmi at the same screen that my pc uses. no, having 2 screens other than the tablet is not a solution as i have not the free space to keep 3 monitors, 2 for pc and 1 for console
    [end OT]

Last edited by VCK; June 7th, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would try rolling back then to the driver I have - I haven't had any problems with photoshop's Open GL since rolling back to that version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would try rolling back then to the driver I have - I haven't had any problems with photoshop's Open GL since rolling back to that version.
    i'm going to try them right now. as soon as i can i'll post news.

EDIT: rolled back with clean uninstall, still having opengl and black screen issues

EDIT 2: under advice from amd tech support guys i installed catalyst 12.6 beta, opengl problem with PS remains plus i am experiencing pen pressure issues with only PS (sometimes the lines are like drawn with full pressure). black screen issue is not solved.
    i'm starting to think that i should give my pc a little formatting and win reinstall.

EDIT 3: perfect, now with catalyst 12.6 painter won't even sart anymore

Last edited by VCK; June 10th, 2012 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seems like magic exist. no more black screen and opengl issue fixed. and i don't even know what i did so special to fix these problems.
    yesterday me and my friend were messing with my pc, in order to understand what was causing black screens. so he brought his video card, the exact same model as mine, sapphire amd radeon hd7970 oc. we unplugged my video card and put in the one he brought. power on, everything normal. we ran unigine heaven 3 benchmark, bench complete, no crash. crysis, 1 hour of messing around in sandbox, no crash. warhammer 40k dow2, 30 min max settings, no crash. we thought my card was faulty and we had to rma it, but when we took off his one and plugged back mine no crashes occoured. i've been able to play yesterday night crysis for like 1hr at max settings staying above 90fps with no crash. heaven bench, no crash. and most of all, if i open a document with photoshop displayed on the cintiq the opengl disabled issue disappeared. like magic, we just swapped with the same video card and put back mine, now everything is working. even painter that started to crash on startup two days ago got fixed for no apparent reason.
    who knows what happened is welcomed to give an explanation, because i have no idea of what fixed all of my problems in one shot.
    everything went A LOT better than expected.

PS: i'm still using catalyst 12.6beta, i didn't touch them since i got them installed.

Members who have read this thread: 4