Sketchbook: Home - Page 7

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Home

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, i hope my critique wasn't too harsh in the way i said it; thanks for taking it the way i meant it, just as a helpful observation. anyway, here's a link to the tutorials and exercises i was mentioning. Tom Scholes (aka IdiotApathy) started The Peer Project almost 10 years ago, and he's currently working as a concept artist, having worked on titles like Halo 4 (maybe you've heard of it? ). anyway, he knows what he's talking about. i hope it's helpful.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, your comments mean a lot to me. Really appreciate it.

Thank you again for the link purb, I have come across that thread in the past. Very useful and informative, I just never gotten past the sphere exercise since at the time I felt I wasn't good enough to move on and oh yeah, Tom Scholes is very awesome!

Edit: PAGE 7..YEAH BABYY!

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    If you have a moment, Help me improve with critiques. thank you Sketchbook

Awesome Sketchbooks
    nim Mechanical Man King Kostas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still trying.

Awesome Sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been thinking about light constantly these past few weeks. Here is another portrait, I rushed the drawing, was too excited to test what I've been studying. My goal was to conceptualize a three-quarter lighting on the form from imagination. Hope to do more with different lighting situations. WOHOOO! Thanks for viewing.

Awesome Sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates. I really like the subtle value shifts you have going on in your paintings.
    Great choice to work on a clear lighting direction (that was the suggestion I wanted to give you on the top of page 7, until I saw that you're already working on it )

Other then that I'd suggest to work on understanding the forms and proportions more. Maybe go back to some Loomis?
    I think it's also important to be brave and put some heads, arms and legs on that torsos. The more mistakes you possibly make in a drawing, the faster you'll learn from it, so just tackle that beast

Some more photo-studies of faces and skulls would also be nice. I think that would help you greatly.

Keep up the great work!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ecki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ecki, I am always thankful for your support.

Pardon me for the lack of updates guys. I've been working myself to death at school. I will do a massive update of all my drawings at the end of the school year at GCA. Attached is my finished cast drawing, a portrait block-in from life and a work in progress of it since I'm modeling the effects of light(I over sharpened and contrasted the drawing due to taking a bad photo). I won't be able to finish modeling it, it was my first attempt at portrait modeling and the evening session ends soon. I plan to write a tutorial on tactile (sculptural) drawing and observing light with it's interaction on form and how others can apply it and use it in their art, I hope to write it during the summer, until then I will continue to perfect my handling and understanding of light as best as I can.

Also, attached are some quick sketches from imagination.
    Thanks for viewing guys.

Awesome Sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tniznet! Woah!
    Were pretty much at the same spot of skill level { at least I think so } which is great!!
    It's really difficult to find someone at the same spot myself is stuck at
    the point where we understand formmmm, but yet to be able to put it into our works from memory

Honestly the best advice I see has already been said, about form->lighting.
    Your own advice reaches to one of the top that I think would help you alot
    i.e. planar practices or thinking in that way.
    I guess you just need to practice it more...
    did those long studies help you [ is it bargue ]?? Ah they look so painful. How long did the hand take you?

I recommend you try and shade simpler subjects such as spheres, cylinders, cubes.
    I don't see any recently, and really those helped me much more as theyre more of a constant than shading anatomy is...
    it can be applied to anything with form whereas anatomy branches off of the more basic shapes.
    In addition attempting lighting that is "hardlighting" will help you to recognize how shading/lighting generally look.
    Your stuff seems to be lit by a very very dim light D:

Ahhah! we have the same anatomy mistakes as well.
    Watch out for the proportional width of the eyes from the nose...in alot of cases they are too far apart from each other. And for the transition of the neck, it seems very flat. I am struggling with these things as well

Anyways keep it up and I'll be around :3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks Pou, yeah our digital painting level is about the same. I'm trying to paint more often since it's way behind my life drawings. Thanks for the critique, I really need to spend longer on my block-ins when I digitally paint, I need to pay attention to these proportional errors more, as for the neck, the painting was unfinished, I did them about a month ago and were meant to be a quick experiments. (Wasn't successful, haha).

Those long studies were all drawn from life, there should be an attached picture of the hand cast up there, the female portrait was from life as well. I spent about 2 months on the cast drawing, 4 straight hours each morning. It took me three days for the initial block-in (at this stage every proportion must be 100% and no less otherwise when you model the forms you will have a lot of grief, haha). Also Pou, they are extremely fun and challenging, it was only painful during my first two casts and that's because I came in the program not being as good as my peers, My handling of my pencil was poor, my drawing wasn't as strong and my understanding did not correlate to my handling, also GCA has a huge precedence, the school has produced the finest draftsmen and painters out there, I was depressed during those periods and hardly slept in hopes of catching up with my peers and living up to such huge standards that was set from preceding students from the program. Those were such painful times for me. That hand cast was a huge milestone, everything finally started clicking, and honestly I have learnt so much about light from doing it as well. It nurtured patience and my ability to judge light and feel the tactile sense of it that I never had before. It feels very good to finally have caught up with my peers, I have already started my final cast and can't wait to share that. I'm also very excited for the school year to end and solely focus on digital painting since it's far behind my drawing as well as start oils. Look out for me then, I'll visit and comment your sketchbook more often as well. Due check back after a month or so, I'll have gathered all my drawings I've done from life as well as bargue plates, very excited to share those. Hopefully it shows that I am no longer the same person, ha!

Awesome Sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your traditional works! They are really well rendered. For your digital stuff, I'd suggest setting a direction from where the light shines, so that you can use your knowledge of form to render the shadow of the face. Right now, your value range is a little shallow because there's no clear light-direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ecki.

Well, I finished my first year at school. Learned a lot and have grown a greater appreciation for works that involve meticulous care and understanding of light on form as well as having an acute observation, just like how the old masters did it. If anyone from the forums are in the NY area, be sure to message me if you would like to sketch together, I'll be at the MET this whole summer.

Attached are life drawings and an old portrait sketch from imagination.

Awesome Sketchbooks

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Members who have read this thread: 68